Search Unity

Unity Editor glitching in play mode

Discussion in '2D' started by ZygoUgo, Jan 12, 2018.

1. ZygoUgo

ZygoUgo

Hi all, I'm building my first level as I learn, I'm using quite a lot of 2048 textures and some particles, plus a lot of colliders as the level is complicated. I understand if the Unity Editor isn't quite as dedicated as a build, because the editor is still there in the background, but I am getting glitching to the point that my character goes through the colliders and I can't make it through the level to test it.
    Am I simply stressing my computer too much or is this a reasonably common problem? Do I some how need to lock my character to the frame rate to stop it jumping through the colliders?
    I am using the Corgi engine, but was getting glitching before this, even when my level was simple. Is there a way to solve this or do I need to start learning about multithreading and optimisation?
    Thanks for any help!

2. ZygoUgo

ZygoUgo

As an update, I have made my first build and my character doesn't glitch through the landscape, it's just in the editor, however, the game freezes for a brief moment every time something is spawned, any advice on where to start to get rid of this? Thankyou!

3. methos5k

methos5k

You could try using the profiler to see what's going on (and/or deep profiling).

4. ZygoUgo

ZygoUgo

Thankyou, yes I've looked in the profiler and it looks like the problem is garbage collection, I've a lot to learn yet and the profiler was a mystery to me haha :) It seems the heap it getting filled and emptied every two or three seconds, I'm wondering if I am simply pushing the Corgi engine too hard, well, learning is fun

5. methos5k

methos5k

Learning is fun, for sure :)

ZygoUgo likes this.
  6. ZygoUgo

ZygoUgo

And thanks for piping up when I was being so vague!

7. methos5k

methos5k

No problem. Hope you get it sorted out, one way or another :)

ZygoUgo likes this.
  8. ZygoUgo

ZygoUgo

Hi all, another question, the profiler says that my graphics card is at 0% activity, does this mean it's not being used, or is it just unsupported by the profiler? I know that individual profiling is not up and running yet for the GPU, but next to the CPU readout is an overall GPU readout? Any ideas? Thanks for any help :)

EDIT:panic over, it's working now I've updated my drivers

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  9. methos5k

methos5k

:)

ZygoUgo likes this.