Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Editor Fails To Render On Project Load

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by EachAbyss, Jan 11, 2021.

1. EachAbyss

EachAbyss

1. What happened
    When opening a unity project, either new or existing, the project takes a significant amount of time to load and then one of three things happens.
    One (the most common), the project loads, but all editor interfaces (exluding the File, Edit, etc. bar at the top) fail to render and render as either solid black or solid purple, but can still be interacted with.
    Two (second most common), the editor opens but all editor interfaces (exluding the File, Edit, etc. bar at the top) are solid white. For both these instances this persists to the 'Edit prefences' and 'Player Settings' windows.
    Third, The project opens to solid white, and then crashes. The third option I have only seen with Unity 2018.4.30 with a new project, but the other two have happened every time with Unity 2019.4 versions.

Project are being launched from the latest version of unity hub. I have also tried launching 2019.4 standalone versions, but the first two fail states persisted.
    I have attempted fresh reinstalls of both unity and unity hub, and for a time this solved the problem when launching a project, but once the PC was restarted a full reinstall was required. This seems to no longer work as a temporary fix.
    I have updated all graphics drivers and have tried a previous version.
    I have changed the PSU, GPU (first AMD, then nVidia), and hard drive (now using a new SSD rather than an older HDD) and this has had no effect.
    I installed the harddrive from my laptop (which had a working version of unity on), which worked, until I restarted the PC and it then had the same issues. After removing the drive and reinstalling it into my laptop, the issue continues.
    I have done a full windows factory reset, removing all local files, to no effect.
    This problem has been occuring since the 27th of December and happens every time I open a project.

2. How we can reproduce it using the example you attached
    Opening any project, through unity hub or standalone, seems to produce these errors. This specific instance that caused the crash rather than just a failed render was launched from the Unity Hub.

License type: Pro

Attached Files:

NvGBoink likes this.
  2. NvGBoink

NvGBoink

Might be worth sending a bug report ?

3. EachAbyss

EachAbyss