Search Unity

Unity Editor Does not Play Well with Windows Taskbar at Top - Windows Tuck Under Taskbar

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by HowdyMedia, Sep 21, 2014.

1. HowdyMedia

HowdyMedia

Forward:
    Why anyone wants to have their browser tabs so far away from their OS tabs, it beyond me. Back when Firefox was my main browser, I moved the tabs in Firefox to the bottom, so everything was in the same place. Once they blocked the ability to do that, I went 'Motorola Mode (Mac/Amiga)' and placed my Windows task bar at the top. Actually, I prefer it now, decades on Amigas and Macs, and with most programs, the menu bar is at top too. So, it just makes sense from a user experience point of view.

Actual problem:
    Now, all the window in Unity pop up under the taskbar (when it is at top). I'm running Windows 7, and currently do not have the taskbar auto-hiding. Still, if I open the color pallet, no way can I move the window because the move controller is the top, and that is neatly tucked under the taskbar.

Mind you, if I click the 'expand window' button, Unity expands properly to the screensize, but none of the popup windows account for it. They all seem to originate at 0 pixels on the Y-axis.

My solution is to right-click the tiny bit of visible taskbar (which usually results in a few misclicks), then select 'Properties', in that window, select 'Auto Hide'. Now I can see the top of the popup window and can move it down. Then I have to once again right click the taskbar, select 'Properties', and unclick 'Auto Hide'.

Now, besides being a hassle and wasting time, and pulling me out of the element as I was being so productive, I also have to content with that all of my icons on my desktop have now all shuffled all over the place, because the one things icons love is a screensize change. Give them that extra 20 or so, and they go nuts - it becomes a game of musical chairs for them.

So, rather than demand the world do my bidding, how about a simple compromise? All popups/modals be set to a minimum of 20 pixels on the Y-axis? They already are indented on the X-axis (those lucky guys with their side mounted taskbars are rejoicing for sure), so on default, set these in the visible area at least.

Also, if you are concerned about this at all, it should be noted that the error dialog when expanded fills the screen, but too is tucked under the taskbar, exposing the Unity editor with same height of the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Well, that there would require actually fixing the issue with a bit of environment detection and conditional coding, so that would be appreciated, but far more work than setting the default positioning of popups/modals to a visible area.

2. ITR

ITR

This is still a problem. On other programs that do this, it's possible to left click the border of the program to auto clamp the position to beneath the taskbar, but this doesn't work on unity's popups

3. OllieVersteegen

OllieVersteegen

Still a problem

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Did anyone here actually file the bug report? Otherwise it is likely to stay a problem.

5. Genghis42

Genghis42

Still a problem in 2020.1. It also draws underneath a taskbar at the bottom of the screen, if that taskbar is set to be thicker than normal -- mine has three rows of icons, and the last couple items of long Editor menus are cut off.

I filed a bug report ~2 weeks ago, but it's not yet available on the public tracker. I'll update if/when it is.

6. Genghis42

Genghis42