Search Unity

Unity editor crashes macOS

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DobrinescuI, Sep 4, 2019.

1. BilalShahid

BilalShahid

I am using macOS Catalina version 10.15.7. Secondly, I reported this bug to Unity. They told me you have licence problem. I fixed it according to their instructions but, it's still not working.

Unity 2019.4.16f1 is opened empty project first time. Then, it doesn't open again.

2. losingisfun

losingisfun

Thanks for figuring this out! Enabling Metal Support fixed this for me as well.
    (using Macbook Pro mid 2015, crashes started when updating my project to 2019 version of unity)

3. TwentyEdges

TwentyEdges

Saved my day! Thank you!

4. andyz

andyz

2019 LTS (.4.20) here and I set metal editor support on but the editor opens in Open GL 4.1 and soon crashes the Mac o_O
    I can run with the command line to force metal but it so antiquated to do that...

5. br-anderson

br-anderson

I’ve also had issues with this, and reported Case 1326217 Computer Crashes While Using Editor.

I get this at random times: double-clicking something that only needs one click, using the color picker too many times, using the animation clip editor, pressing play to start the game right after having stopped the game, and even once just starting my Unity Project.

It is the same thing: kernel panic error. Computer just freezes for a split second before going black.

I’d prefer not to turn on metal support because that forces my game to deploy to iOS 10, when my game was originally released to iOS 9 (which means I either remove metal from my Xcode project or re-release a new version of my game losing all the ratings and reviews).

Tried reimporting assets like was recommended at one point, which doesn’t work.

6. rhodos

rhodos

I've a similar issue but in a slightly different manner. Unity 2021.1.4 crashes whole macOS, it just kinda restarts itself but not completely. Enabling metal editor support didn't fix it. Also when I try to open Unity after crash it says "this project is already open", so when I look at ActivityMonitor I can see Unity process even after crash. Anyone have the same problem? I feel like my Mac has some issues :(