Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Editor constantly freezing and slow

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by KillerNads, Dec 16, 2018.

1. KillerNads

KillerNads

Hey Guys,

I had a unity project that i was working on, last few months i haven't opened the project it was using something like unity 2017.3.xx, since yesterday i wanted to continue development on my game. Firstly, through unity hub i updated my editor to 2017.4.17f1 and then deleted the older version. I then opened up my project, i also got a warning message popup saying that the unity package manager has changed folder location or something, and that the new one will be added and i can delete the old one.

At first, everything was running fine, i then updated one asset from the asset store. After the asset update imported, i suddenly started getting unresponsive behaviour from unity editor. Every second my mouse changes into the loading spindle, it does this twice, so from mouse pointer, goes to spindle, then mouse and then spindle again. Then goes back to mouse for like a second, in this second it sort of allows me to click around the unity editor but during the spindle no clicks register etc...

I tried restarting my pc, then tried the project again and it worked as normal for a little while, like a few minutes but then after again the spindle issue appeared. Now im basically stuck and cant do anything in my project!!! Its very frustrating and annoying. I looked online for solutions, but couldn't really find anything useful, there was one solution to sign out of my unity account in the editor which i tried also but that didn't help either.

I also tried to look for a way to contact unity for some help but couldn't find the right contact details, so im posting here instead asking for help. Im running Windows 10, and nothing much has changed in my pc for the past few months apart from adding an additional second monitor and connecting that to my gfx card (gtx1080) via display port.

Please if someone could advice me on how to fix this issue.

Thanks.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I had such issue too and for me it was related to an unreachable Cache Server. Changing the Cache Server option to "Disabled" solved the problem for me.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Preferences.html

Not sure if it's the same issue for you though.

ttesla likes this.
  3. KillerNads

KillerNads

Thanks, i actually found what the issue was. Seems it was when i updated the asset Auto-Save from the asset store. The new asset is broken and completely kills a project, even if its a new project. I dont know how assets such as these pass Unitys QA team, surely they must run and check assets before allowing updates to go live?!