Search Unity

Bug Unity Editor 2021.1.15f crashing on Player Settings

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ivoras, Jul 28, 2021.

1. ivoras

ivoras

Suddenly, after working correctly since the start of the project, Unity started crashing when I try to show the Player Settings dialog.

A blank window appears, a "please hold..." dialog appears, and then everything crashes, without offering me to send a crash report, and without producing a log file in the Temp folder.

This might be because of some package we've recently added, but without a log file, we can't know which and where. Any suggestions how to dig down into this?

EZIOKITTU and phungtu081 like this.
  2. ivan2017

ivan2017

I also encountered this problem and later found out that it was caused by “Mobile Notifications Package” in package manager.

3. ivoras

ivoras

Actually, that resolved it! I've removed the "Mobile Notifications Package" as we didn't yet use it, and it doesn't crash.

Thanks!

Now, why would a Unity package crash, is a different question.

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Oh my, they crash more than any other packages! It is a CONSTANT source of brand-new users showing up here posting questions like "how can I fix errors in Collab and TestRunner?"

No new user needs ANY of those packages, and when they do it is trivial to find them, and yet they get crapped into every new project without any question whatsoever, causing endless issues.

Extra unwanted packages in new projects (collab, testing, rider and other junk):

https://forum.unity.com/threads/temp-unityengine-testrunner-dll-error.1133938/#post-7287748

5. plotlessplot

plotlessplot

Had the same issue in 2021.1.17f1 and 2021.1.18f1. Temporarily rolled back to 2020.3 in order to be able to change Player Settings but I came across this post and solved the issue by removing the "Mobile Notifications" package (thanks, ivan2017!).

This stuff should really be properly tested before being added into new projects by default...

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  6. Shamahan

Shamahan

I managed to fix the issue with Player Settings crashing on Notifications tab by rolling back from the 2021.1 to the latest LTS Unity version (2020.3.17f1). Now it works again.