Search Unity

Bug Unity Editor 2019.3.15f1 Collaberate apparently causes editor to almost freeze periodically

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Texashawk, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Texashawk

Texashawk

So I've been searching for a reason that my editor over the last 2 updates (I previously had 2019.1.14) has behavior where 95% of the time it runs perfectly, and 5% of the time when I'm in the editor mode (not running the game) it lags to the point where I literally can't work and I have to just wait out the 'storm'. After about a minute or so the editor finishes whatever it's doing and I can work again, but it's really annoying. It seems to hit without rhyme or reason. I've read some things about Collaborate causing issues but those seemed like older threads. I also have SugarSync that does backups but no other programs are affected. I have a very fast computer (AMD Ryzen 7 3700x with a GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER card and 16 GB of DDR4 RAM) so I am kind of at a loss. Does anyone else get hit with these 'lag storms' and if so, what do you do?

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Never seen it myself but it might be helpful if you could capture one of these "lag storms" in the profiler.

3. Texashawk

Texashawk

They don't happen during game execution. When the game is actually running, it's flawless. It's just when I'm working in the editor. It's like the editor is trying to catch up with some sort of internal process and for about a minute it's virtually unusable.

4. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

You can profile the editor itself too.

5. Texashawk

Texashawk

Ah. I did not know that and I've been using Unity professionally for years! Learn something every day. Anyway, when I profile the editor, I find that 'Collab.Tick' is using 86.6% of my resources during a 'lagstorm' and the call is taking over half a second. I'm guessing that has something to do with Collaberate. As stated, I've read that this has been an issue in the past but I sort of though they had this fixed by now.

6. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Nice! At least you have a thread to go on now. Might be worth a bug report.

7. Texashawk

Texashawk

Here's a pic of what it's doing. The yellow block is the isolated Collab.Tick function. As you can see, after a few seconds more it goes away and the editor works fine.

Attached Files:

8. fendercodes

fendercodes

I'm getting the same issue in 2019.4.1f1. Here is a screenshot showing the Collab.tick taking 8 seconds.

Attached Files: