Search Unity

Bug Unity Editor 2018.4.30f hangs after opening/compiling in VS 2019

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by yosefstudios, Jan 10, 2021.

1. yosefstudios

yosefstudios

For some reason, Unity freezes after opening any C# script in Visual Studio, however, this does not happen all the time. I notice this usually happens right after I open VS, or after saving and compiling the script. Since there are times were this doesn't happen at all, it confuse me a lot what could be triggering this issue.

This problem only happens to me in newer versions of Unity (2017.x and so on), Unity 5.6, for example, works fine.

I'm working with Unity 2018.4.30f Personal and Visual Studio Community 2019 (16.8.3). Also, when it hangs, it seems that the editor starts using a lot of memory according to the task manager (I attached an screenshot below). That may be the issue but still, I don't know what's causing it.

Specs (maybe it's a hardware issue?):
    GTX 1050ti, 8gb RAM DDR3

Attached Files:

2. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Not a hardware issue. I'm getting the same thing in 2018.4.30f1and my machine is pretty beefy. It's intermittent so hard to get a repro case for - it might not be the first time I edit a script, but it will happen eventually. Just killing unity through the task manager and restarting is usually enough to stop it happening until I've next restarted my computer though.

Also using VS Community 2019 (since I needed the newer version for non-unity projects)

3. yosefstudios

yosefstudios

Darn it, I'm using the latest Unity 2018 version and it's still happening. And yeah, killing Unity through the task manager seems to be the only solution...