Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Download Assistant feedback

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Rasmus Selsmark, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Rasmus Selsmark

Rasmus Selsmark

Hi Unity 5 users,

As you probably have noticed by now, we have introduced a new download tool for Unity 5, the Unity Download Assistant.

In short, the reason for developing this tool is that the installers in Unity 5 has increased in size, especially with the new Sample Assets, which is greater but also bigger in size, compared to the Standard Packages in Unity 4.x. The idea behind the Download Assistant has been to break down the installer into more manageable chunks, but also to provide a better user experience during downloading and installing Unity.

Although this has undergone internal testing, we have of course received some additional feedback already, by making it publicly available, including:
    • General: Ability to resume broken download, e.g. if connection is lost
    • Windows: Slow download speed (at least slower than browser)
    • OS X: Authentication token "times out"
    • OS X: Cannot install on non-system drive
    We're working on these issues now.

Please provide additional feedback here on this thread, and we will try to address and fix issues experienced during download/installation process.

Best regards,

Rasmus, Unity Infrastructure Team

MrEsquire and Devil_Inside like this.
  2. Waz

Waz

Any thoughts on using rsync or similar differential downloading or other patching? It's nice not having to redownload the example project for each patch release, but it's only a minor saving. It's my favourite part of updating KSP.

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

1. Install was interrupted during "validating packages" phase. Something caused my kernel_task to consume 14GB of ram. Rebooted. Restarted installer, and it did not resume. It redownloaded everything.
    2. "Validating packages" on second run has been running for 30 minutes, and is still at component "Unity 5 (1 of 4)". Installd is now using 10.6 GB of real memory. Kernel_task is already at 11.07 GB. Nothing else is running besides the installer and Safari (so I can post this).

I'm running OSX 10.9.5. I have 24GB of RAM, and 1TB free space on system drive.

4. Waz

Waz

It seems not to keep Windows sufficiently awake, so "if connection is lost" seems more like "when".

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

Giving up install after 45 minutes of "Component: Unity 5 (1 of 4) Validating packages". System was complaining of too much memory usage again.
    Terminated "installd", and kernel_task (which had grown to 15gb of RAM) released all its extra memory too. So it's definitely the installer causing the memory to be eaten during the validation stage.

Edit: Unistalled my antivirus (Sophos). Retried installation. Still hangs at validating packages. Still eats up all my application memory. OSX pops up the "your system has run out of application memory" dialog. Terminating installd frees up the memory.

I'm sure this update is really cool. Any chance to get the old installer? I never had any problems with it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  6. oleksiy

oleksiy

Unity Technologies

Hi Jaimi, the Download Assistant allows to specify custom download folder for packages. Then when it fails, or if you kill the process, you can install the package manually (by double-clicking them) from the specified folder. Could you try this? I'm curious if the same problem will still happen. Also, there's a log file located at /var/log/install.log. It would be nice if you can send it to me, or at least have a look if there's anything interesting.

I'm also running 10.9.5, and I couldn't repro the memory issues, nor the 45 minute package validation.

Basically, if you run the downloaded package(s) -- you'll get the same result as with the old installer.

7. Jaimi

Jaimi

Ok - I know what happened, and it was my fault. When it installed, it defaulted to my "bootcamp" partition to install on, and I didn't notice it was the first one (since it wasn't before). When I manually selected my default drive, everything worked.

8. chrismarch

chrismarch

This is probably a known features request, judging by the links in the b14 sticky post, but I would like to be able to choose to download 32-bit versions from a 64-bit computer, while I am working through compatibility issues with native plug-ins.

Walbert-Schmitz likes this.
  9. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Please make a normal installer available. I've attempted to retry twice with the downloader and both times, it fails right after it finishes downloading. It's not timing out or anything, it just gets to the end of the download and says there was an error, with no indication what could have happened. I'm not wasting another GB of bandwidth on this unreliable thing.

10. schmosef

schmosef

I previously posted this issue in the beta 14 announcement thread.

I did not see that you had a dedicated thread for the download assistant.

Sorry for the cross post.

I've got 2TB free on my install drive but the download assistant is telling me I don't have enough available space.

I've tried both install locations. Neither work.

I've included a screenshot.

Any ideas?

View attachment 119508

11. oleksiy

oleksiy

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the info Jaimi. Very useful.

12. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I had no problem with the download assistant, but you should measure the progress in MB instead of KB.

13. Rasmus Selsmark

Rasmus Selsmark

Would regular download links to the individual installers (including 32-bit editor) be sufficient?

shkar-noori likes this.
  14. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I think so.

15. atmuc

atmuc

it does not support http proxy.

16. Teetee0919

Teetee0919

I'm having a issues downloading Unity 5, once it reaches the final portion of the download it states that is has timed out, when i click on the retry it will say that it is unable to open. My system meets the requirements for the unity 5 and this is the 8 time i tried and my internet connect is very fast can anyone help me?

17. Whippets

Whippets

It should have an option for installing MonoDevelop or not - I use an older version of MonoDelevop, as the latest version isn't as good (for me).

18. Roni92

Roni92

My opinion? AutoDownloaders are always unneeded piece of crap.

19. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

No matter where you choose to install unity, it always installs on C.
    EDIT: and it's already fixed.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  20. Giometric

Giometric

Came in to post this. At work I am unable to use this new installer at all.

21. TeamZero

TeamZero

I see a few potential issues with this approach. My team has 5 of us using the Unity 5 beta and each time there is a new version, I normally download the installer and post it on our team network drive to prevent extra bandwidth consumption. However, with this new installer approach, all 5 of us have to download the same huge install files, using up 5 times the bandwidth in both our office & the Unity servers. Doesn't seem very efficient to me, especially for teams in countries with bandwidth caps (Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, etc).

wccrawford likes this.
  22. Rasmus Selsmark

Rasmus Selsmark

Kind of agree, but I guess 2GB+ also isn't something we really want. We will provide download links for the individual installers, as you can see on the announcement post here in the forum.

Best regards, Rasmus

Roni92 likes this.
  23. Rasmus Selsmark

Rasmus Selsmark

Can you please try b16 then? We have changed download component, which should use proxy settings from IE on Windows.

Best regards, Rasmus

shkar-noori likes this.
  24. Giometric

Giometric

Awesome! I can confirm that this new installer is working correctly through the proxy.

On the note of proxy servers, will the Unity editor be using the IE proxy settings at some point too? Currently the only way to use things like the Asset Store or even license activation when behind a proxy is to set some (undocumented, as far as I can tell) environment variables.

25. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I have no idea if it's related to the changes... but the auto updater is taking FOREVER today... like, half an hour and it's only at 700 MB out of 1.57GB

26. montedre

montedre

Is there a way to get at the files without the assistant. Both release 15 and 16 are failing for me. Download about 24% and then say internet connection failing.

27. Caio_Lib

Caio_Lib

28. atmuc

atmuc

it is downloading now. thanks.

29. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

This is going to be VERY annoying on update day. We have an office of 14 people here who will each have to run this atrocious auto-downloader, rather than the current method of download once, put it on the \\netdrive for everybody to share from over gigabit CAT5 cable.

My vote: get rid of this download assistant. It is unwelcome, unwanted, and does not solve any problems for anybody at all. You already decanted the sample projects into the asset store, so your original statement of providing finer grained downloads is meaningless.

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

Please let us specify a folder name on Mac, as well as choosing a drive. That would really be great when downloading and testing the new updates.

Shorely, jamie-lowes and TeamZero like this.
  31. Fallsburg

Fallsburg

Where is the temporary folder that it downloads to? For some reason the installation failed but the files weren't deleted.

Nvizeon likes this.