Search Unity

Unity doesn't open from Unity hub

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by QuantumCalzone, Mar 30, 2018.

1. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

I'm on Windows 10 and I when I open a Unity project from Unity hub, it never opens. The unity splash screen will show up, it'll display for like up to 10 minutes, but it'll eventually close, no editor will open. If I try to open the same project again from Unity Hub, it'll say the project is already open.

I'm able to open the project if I double click a scene file in my Finder (skipping Unity Hub).

Anyone else have this problem?

I should note, I had a problem before with opening Unity Hub in the first place before (Similar to this post). Adding ipconfig to my system variables allowed Unity Hub to open.

2. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

I had this issue before and I found that by manually opening the editor, it asked me to fetch a new license, which I did. I could then open it with Unity Hub. Not sure if the solution is the same though for you.

3. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

When I open the editor it doesn't ask me to fetch a new license. I have a pro version activated on my working editor (the installed one that opens if I open it directly).

Nuggetzor likes this.
  4. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hi!
    Sorry to hear you have trouble using the Hub with your project.
    Could you please provide us with more details to troubleshoot your issue?
    - Which editor are you trying to open the project with?
    - What is your project's folder structure?

5. JackPS9

JackPS9

I too am having this issue,

Just to hand over the info asked above.

Editor/Unity Version for project: 2018.1.0b13
    Assets > Everything else

Opening the project with the version then using hub seems to fix the issue but still should not need to have to do a workaround when using a commercial product.

TylerHarrison1501 and M_R_M like this.
  6. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Unfortunately, I still cannot reproduce your issue.

Could you reproduce the issue or your side and then send us the editor logs as well as the Hub's log?

The editor logs are here:
    macOS: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Editor.log
    Windows: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log

The Hub logs are here:
    Windows: %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs
    macO~/Library/Application support/UnityHub/logs

LasOne likes this.
  7. JackPS9

JackPS9

8. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

9. JackPS9

JackPS9

1) I can create projects and it'll open them while creating them
    2) Re-installed and still nothing still wont open the project

Another issue is the fact every time my computer is started it asks for the license again.
    The whole thing kinda feels like it wasn't even tested correctly before being released.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  10. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Oh! I was able to reproduce your error!

1) What is your context?
    Are you working in a work environment, a school environment or at home?

It seems that your license file gets deleted before opening the project.
    2) Can you try this then:
    - Open the Hub
    - Enter your license information (if needed)
    - Verify the folder containing your license: C:\ProgramData\Unity. Does it contain a file named Unity_lic.ulf? Or Unity_lic.ulf.backup?

3) Are you aware of a process that would wipe out the folder or the folder content or even prevent it from being writable?

Thanks for your help!

11. JackPS9

JackPS9

1) Home/Work
    2) I have a unity_lic.ulf (will restart and check if it is still there or not, and edit this post if it is still there or not)
    3) No, and there shouldn't be one
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuryfglfW6VugZo8WoHOhPRL6yd_bQ < Pic of the license error beside my license file existing

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  12. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

To rule out a permission problem on the file, could you rename the license file (and the backup) and restart the Hub? (it will ask you to enter your license again). Then try fully quitting the Hub and restarting. Does it still ask for your license?

salvolannister likes this.
  13. JackPS9

JackPS9

Renamed it, restarted my PC and it did not ask me to re-activate my license.

14. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

So, is the problem fixed when you try to open the project then?

15. JackPS9

JackPS9

License not being read seems to be fixed, however, still can't open projects through the hub.

16. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

So you still see the splash screen for a moment and then it closes without importing assets or anything?
    Also, when opening the project directly with the editor, it opens without asking for the license or anything?

Could you send both logs again after a repro of opening the project through the Hub, to see if there is a difference now that the license is fixed?

Thanks again for all your help in tracking this down

17. JackPS9

JackPS9

1) Yes a splash screen shows up, nothing else pops-up like the loading bars or anything else.
    2) It asks for it when just opening the editor, has nothing to do with a project. (normally asks though after opening the hub first though)
    3) can do later as have other things I gotta do at the moment.
    3.1) Will try opening thru the hub, posting the logs, then opening thru the editor, posting the logs, then re-open thru the hub then post the logs again.

18. JackPS9

JackPS9

19. JackPS9

JackPS9

Just bumping this so someone from Unity can see the logs.

developersice likes this.
  20. developersice

developersice

Constantly getting 'Error launching application: The application path 'C:\Program Files\...Unity.exe' cannot be opened.

Tried giving unity hub administrator rights but it doesn't actually finish opening the main unity hub ui when I do that.

Anyone else having this issue?

Beatshapers likes this.
  21. JackPS9

JackPS9

does the hub ask for a license?

22. sxa

sxa

Also seeing this behaviour, not launching Unity from the Hub, with the additional situation that pretty much every other time I run it the Hub prompts me to reauthorise my Personal license all over again.

TaleOf4Gamers likes this.
  23. frsianturi

frsianturi

i have the exact same problem

zetaFairlight and developersice like this.
  24. sxa

sxa

So to be more specific, Ive waited a day and gone through the whole process again. Here's everything in more detail.

Yesterday when I responded in this thread, the Hub had opened with the the 'machine identification is invalid' error message that JackPS9 links a screengrab of above, and was prompted for license type and the three-option income question associated with the Personal license but not my user account details. So Im not being asked to log in, but I do have to go through other steps to 'reauthorise.'

At that point I installed the latest 2017.4, the final 2018.1 and the 2018.2 beta from the Hub, downloaded some asset store updates in 2017.4, and created a couple of empty test projects, one each for 2018.1 and 2018.2, and filled them with packages from the new Package Manager (which needs a checkbox'd 'load selected' option by the way, one by one is annoyingly primitive and slow).

Note that I couldnt launch any of these from the Hub, so had to launch each one directly, and even though I'd just 'reauthorised' the Hub, I had to 'reauthorise' the first one I launched. I also checked my C:\ProgramData\Unity and there was a Unity_lic.ulf file there timestamped to when I 'reauthorised'.

Today, that Unity_lic.ulf file was still there, and with the same timestamp as yesterday, but when I opened up the Hub again, Im back at the starting point; I have to 'reauthorise' the Hub, I still cant launch any version of Unity from the Hub, and when I launch a version of Unity standalone, I was asked to 'reauthorise' that as well, and my Unity_lic.ulf file has been replaced with a new one.

25. TyrantNomad

TyrantNomad

I have also had a similar issue, having to re-authorize each version of the editor from outside the Unity Hub before being able to launch them from the Hub, as TaleOf4Gamers said.

QuantumCalzone and TaleOf4Gamers like this.
  26. MrProcessor

MrProcessor

I solved the problem like this:

My unity.exe was working as admin and this was causing the problem so I unchecked that admin permission and it opened.

rahul20dec and jack_benton like this.
  27. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

If anyone is still experiencing this issue (related to license activation) could you please submit the issue through the Hub's bug reporter? It's a separate window that can be launched from the Hub's tray menu. We will investigate based on your logs and try to resolve this. Posting the case ID here would be great too.

Thanks,

28. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

@AbrahamDUnity
    @cassandraL

I'm completely unable to use unity (including unity free) because of this bug, I need this to be resolved asap...

Is there an official resolution for this bug and why are we forced to use this hub if it does not work, I never had licencing issues in any of the previous years?

Customer Services ticket #662171

I'm stuck in a loop

_2.jpg

_1.jpg

_3.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  29. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

After digging around forever, I found a link to the problem, apparently it's already a known issue because it's in the unity post from 2015 - https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-u...258.687927572.1557263367-375701058.1557263367

I needed to delete C:\ProgramData\Unity\Unity_lic.ulf

and reinstall hub... you guys should really do this automatically instead of forcing us to deal with this headache. I'm sure one of your team members can do it..

jgibbonssh, slugcat, jim00 and 6 others like this.
  30. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Stephen_O,

Sorry you're experiencing issues with the Hub. We will do our best to address these in the coming releases.

Cheers,

Stephen_O likes this.
  31. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Just to follow up, this is the response I finally got back from support (8 days later..), none of this was the cause, I pointed out the cause last week in the post above. It's a good thing I know how to search the internet. It's also really said to receive this level of support for a know issue of over 4 years.

Why is Unity asking me, and other customers to do this?

Please pass on my findings to support, and get it properly documented to prevent other users from experiencing this bug that completely locks users out being able to open unity - most will not likely find the solution as quick as I have, especially considering Unity support does not even know what to do.

32. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@Stephen_O,

We are currently trying to improve the logistic around license management and hopefully this issue will no longer occur in the future. That said firewall policies and proxies don't make our lives easier, especially when it comes to reproducing issues.

The information you posted might also be incomplete or out of date. If it worked for you all the best.

GrayedFox likes this.
  33. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'm only providing feedback to help other users in the future, use it how you will; without the solution I found I'd still be unable to use Unity is all I'm saying.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  34. Soniya_unity

Soniya_unity

What is happening. one of my project is made in Unity 2018.1.0. now i am trying to open it in unity 2019.0.1. But it is not opening. please help me

35. Anthony0506

Anthony0506

what is the work around instead of using unity hub? personally it's just irritating to me.

EvOne likes this.
  36. Conrad812

Conrad812

I was having this problem as well, and I use a VPN regularly. when I turned off the VPN and tried again, Unity launched as normal with no problems. if any of you are using a VPN or a proxy, try disabling that?

37. BenB_90

BenB_90

Can confirm that disabling my VPN fixed the problem for me as well.

38. ohthepain

ohthepain

I can't open Unity. It just opens Unity Hub. I will not let me open a project. Unbelievable.

svetlichny1 likes this.
  39. ohthepain

ohthepain

I am not using a VPN. I am not seeing a license screen. Just a list of projects that I can't open.

Braden_Wade likes this.
  40. CYK06

CYK06

LINUX 18.My Unity Hub Won't open. i have it on my start page, i click it, but still won't open.
    Does anyone else has this broblem?

41. CSDSAdmin

CSDSAdmin

having same issue here seems to be a license issues HUb show license but Unity loads and stops

42. ConsatDave

ConsatDave

I am experiencing the same bug as others in this thread. I have opened a bug report through the Hub: https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1179270_k32tbfk2b14sml9n

It does appear to be correlated to the recent license renewal in my organisation.

Have others opened bug reports as well? Can you link them here? Unfortunately the Issue Tracker that is being used makes it exceedingly difficult to find related issues. One cannot search by Issue ID either, so weighing in directly in the bug report is nearly impossible if the link isn't shared publicly.

Problems, such as the one in this thread, that have only been reported intermittently over the course of 18 months will only get a serious look from the developers if sufficient constructive noise is made by the community. Send bug reports and link them in the forum thread.

43. VIPMY

VIPMY

Guys the solution is very simple on my side, just disable anti-malware or antivirus, that's it !

44. alihaghshenas821

alihaghshenas821

Thanks! , worked for me!

45. tarasrng

tarasrng

Had the same issue after BSOD - only complete unity re-installing with manually removing Unity folders in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming helped

46. rahul20dec

rahul20dec

Thanks Man!!! You saved my day.

47. The5oClockShadow

The5oClockShadow

Thank you, this worked for my versions
    Unity 2019.2.8f1
    Unity Hub 2.1.2
    Windows 10

48. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'm happy it helped someone after I was told by UT staff it was likely not relevant :), I do wish UT was more receptive to feedback... Sorry you had to go through this, I know it was frustrating, I lost a day to it and customer service did not want or know how to help; I think it took them a week to respond to me which is unacceptable for a paid service that is used for work!

49. Humongor

Humongor

Not sure if anyone else experienced this problem, but I was unable to open fresh projects created in Unity Hub for any version of 2019.x.x due to 'Invalid Project path' errors.

However, I was able to find a work around by creating a new project using the New button drop-down arrow and selecting the version of 2019.x.x I wanted. Not sure why this solved the issue, but as of 5 minutes ago, this works, so hopefully it helps someone else out.

50. TheWarper

TheWarper

Also getting this issue today after upgrading to the latest hub v2.2.1.

Can create new projects but can't open existing.
    Can bypass by opening any project scene directly from windows explorer.