Search Unity

Unity does not use a high-performance graphic card on macOS 10.15.1?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by noclew, Dec 6, 2019.

1. noclew

noclew

I am using Unity on MacBook Pros Catalina (10.15.1) installed. However, it seems that Unity does not use a high-performance graphics card regardless of whether I turn automatic switching on or off, even if I designated a GPU device in the Unity's preference menu.

The first image below shows the case when the automatic GPU switching on. As shown here, Unity uses an integrated GPU.

[with automatic graphics switching on]

The second image below shows the case when the automatic GPU switching off. Even in this case, it does not seem that Unity is using a high-performance one considering the Graphics Card column of the unity processors shows No for all. But in this case, I am not too sure if Unity is actually using a high-performance GPU although it says no on Activity Monitor. However, I am not positive about this considering that the Unity editor's performance is the same as the case of an integrated card.

[with automatic graphics switching off]

I tested this issue with two machines, MBP 15" with Radeon 560 and MPT 16" with Radeon 5500M, and both machines exhibited the same behavior.

[As a comparison, Adobe Illustrator works as expected]

As a comparison, all other apps, such as Illustrator or Photoshop, that are supposed to use a high-performance graphics card behave as expected. Even when the automatic switching is on, they run on a high-performance graphics card and Activity Monitor shows they are actually using it.

Is this a normal behavior that is expected? If so, is there any way that I can use a high-performance GPU for Unity with an automatic switching option enabled? I do not want to use a high-performance GPU all the time, so it will be best if Unity can automatically use a high-performance GPU when it runs.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Lars-Steenhoff and SkippyV like this.
  2. ayruos

ayruos

I have run into the same problem... tested with both 2019.2 and 2019.3.

With the VFX Graph running, the editor seems to be glitching out a bit too (why I looked into what GPU it was using)... and finding a solution for this would be good.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.