Search Unity

Unity docs are actually pretty great

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by WhendricSo, Oct 3, 2018.

1. WhendricSo

WhendricSo

Hey Everyone11!

On forums like these, there often exists some baseline toxicity so I just wanted to take a moment to thank the Unity documentation people. After working with some other APIs (I'm looking at you, Exit Games!) I have really come to appreciate the searchability, browsability, structure and especially the abundance of code snippets in the Unity documentation. It's also great that it works offline when accessed through the Editor "Help" menu.

So thanks, Unity team! I know that maintaining the docs for such an enormous piece of software which keeps morphing and changing and adding new features is a monumental task.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Maybe they would have been worse if people weren't complaining about them though :)

But anyway, a lot of the docs are pretty good these days.

3. LaneFox

LaneFox

There's some holes, but by far Unity docs are the best I've seen for any software.

WhendricSo likes this.
  4. WhendricSo

WhendricSo

Actually, they have always been good! Somettimes there are holes like a missing code snippet but overall, excellent imo!

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I respectfully disagree.

6. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I agree the Unity docs are top notch for a game engine.
    I‘ve recently had to deal with another engine, and its documentation made us want to cry, providing mainly install instructions and high level overviews that fell short of being helpful at all. We’ve come to appreciate the Unity docs to its fullest because of this experience. For almost all features you can expect to get both the high level overview and the dirty details. Some of the holes thankfully filled in by the community.