Search Unity

Unity display error on Windows 8

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Earthsnake, May 17, 2015.

1. Earthsnake

Earthsnake

Hello, I've frustrated for over weeks because of this Unity "display problem" running on Windows 8. Everytime I tried to move a windows (say like game, or scene, or animation), the display won't show it right. Well, please take a look into this video;

I've made a recording, so you can clearly see what's the problem is.

Any help would be really appreciated.
    Cheers.

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Um, I don't understand exactly what the problem is. You open a project, and the scene and game windows are both empty of any assets. You then create a new game object window, and it's identical to the existing one. I guess I don't understand what the problem is with the creation of the Game window. (I know it appears over the top of the old one, but it's movable.) Sorry to not know what you're asking.

3. Earthsnake

Earthsnake

Hi, thanks for your response. The problem is the display won't show right after I moved certain windows, I've made a new vid, as you can see on the vid, as soon as I minimize my unity window, and restore it again, everything goes to black, and when I tried to dock animation window (after I spawned it), it won't display on unity and seems to disappear (but I know it's there, because if I try to reset my layout, everything goes back to normal but still I can't click a single thing).

As you can see on the video, I was trying to click on files such as the one under "Project", but the display won't show it right (it select the folders that I've selected), but again, after I reset the layout, the display goes back to normal, but I still can't select them.

This is the new video:

I hope my explanation makes more sense now.
    Thanks

4. sirio21

sirio21

Hi, last video cannot be viewed (say please login to see this video..). Anyway.. is a graphic card issue. I'd a lot of problems like you with my HD 4600 on board card and with 3D Studio too (more here). I have changed display to GTX 770 and no problem.
    I think that your problem is not a Unity specific error. Are you using your on board card?

5. Earthsnake

Earthsnake

Hi, thanks, I've updated that video to public (my bad). I'm using my graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970). What was your problem when you were using on board card?

Yeah, I think this is related to graphic/graphic settings, but I have no clue how to solve it, been looking on many places (settings, etc).

Thanks for your insight!

6. sirio21

sirio21

With my on board card i dont see any graphic in the project explorer. And in 3D studio i see noise in design windows.
    I think that it can be related between graphic card and chipset. Have you update the motherboard chipset? Motherboard have onboard graphic system? (try with this in order to see if you see any difference).
    Upgrade BIOS to lastest version. Force start unity with OpenGL instead DX or viceversa....

7. Earthsnake

Earthsnake

I've updated my BIOS to latest version (MSI ZH77A-G43 Plus), and also tried to force start Unity with both OpenGL and DX (default is DX) and the problem still exist :(

Note:
    This problem never occurred before on Windows 7, only on Windows 8. Might have something to do with that? the graphic settings maybe? But I've been looking that way and found no suspicious element there.

8. sirio21

sirio21

mmm im not sure.. try.. To choose the Graphics emulation level, go to Edit > Graphics Emulation on the menu.. this use DX11 instead DX9

mother have vga on board?
    graphic driver of Microsoft or Nvidia ? (Go Device manager, graphic card... to see driver controller).