Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Official Unity Discussions Open Beta Launch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Brach_Unity, Jun 13, 2023.

1. spiney199

spiney199

How about no?

God I hate the death of proper forums. Not everything needs to be effing Reddit.

orb, JesOb, adamgolden and 1 other person like this.
  2. adamgolden

adamgolden

I like here. at 1920x1080 in Chrome on Windows 11, in new posts i can see 17 threads on the screen at once. compare that to discussions (10), unreal (7), playcanvas (11) or reddit (2-5). i don't want so much padding with things so far apart.

Edit: cry2.png

JesOb likes this.
  3. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Think what is typical for forums rather moves to Discord.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Discord is great for a small community. It's a miserable experience for anything else. I'm currently in the Unreal Source community with over 100,000 members. With how quickly a conversation can occur you can be actively watching a channel and still miss some of what is being said, and forget looking through past discussions.

People who have been actively using this forum only want a forum. If we would've been happy with Discord we would already be in the Discord. If we would've been happy with Answers we would already be on a site like Answers. If we would've been happy with Reddit we would be on Reddit.

Unity can merge the forums with the new system if they wish but they're not going to merge us with it. We're simply going to move on to a new site that meets our needs or make a new one.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
  5. spiney199

spiney199

Except Discord isn't anything like forums. Even with community servers with the forums feature enabled, they just don't have the same archive-ability, search-ability (including search engines) and somewhat slower pace that forums operate at.

Getting really annoying how many good forums bite the dust in favour of inferior discussion boards.

Unifikation and Ryiah like this.
  6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Discord is even worse. Have you ever tried to use Discord's search function, for instance? Absolute garbage. Effectively useless. There's also no public indexing of what's said in Discord servers and if something happens to that server there's absolutely no access to that information ever again.

7. BTW, any news on this forum migration stuff? Are you guys still planning to kill the forum for good?

8. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Am not saying that using Discord is per se better but it is a fact that a lot of forums of all sorts of topics (not only game dev) have moved there.
    Having everything you are interested in, nicely in one app is appealing.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

You can and have been able to do this from day one with a web browser. You don't need to download Discord to be able to log in and use it. Meanwhile Discord can't browse the web making it necessary to keep a web browser. So if we're going with this logic it's counterproductive to install Discord.

https://discord.com/channels/@me

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  10. We're talking about literally killing the forum and moving it to Discussion, it's nothing to do with discord.
    BTW, relying only on a 3rd-party app like discord can be risky for a company like Unity. If discord goes under or they decide they go crazy or Elon Tusk buys it up, they are screwed.

Ryiah likes this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Relying on their own services is risky too. Just look at how many years the "$$anonymous$$" error existed for on Unity Answers. Unity has at least shown that they can fix the forums, but they've shown it takes a very long time to fix anything else if they can at all.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/cer...haracters-get-replaced-with-anonymous.960722/

Unifikation likes this.
  12. I agree and disagree. It is not about ability in my opinion. It's that they don't give a flying crap because it doesn't generate money (I firmly suspect that the anonymous-bug didn't have any major effect, other than generated a couple complaining forum-posts). They have some web-developers on payroll, but all those are working on dashboards for various money-factories and BS AI-frontend which glitches, slow and absolutely shouldn't look like as it was pulled from the early 2000-s... (Muse page, anyone?)

Ryiah likes this.
  13. mgear

mgear

14. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean, they pretty much did say this was the plan. (although if I remember correctly, the plan was to transfer the posts to discussions and not just archive it)

mgear likes this.
  15. mgear

mgear

oh yeah i guess it was! (was still thinking about the this forum upgrade plan)

16. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

There is no need for "maybe", it is actually happening. They have multiple topics forced onto Discussion and quasi banned from the forum (told go to discussion to talk about it).
    I guess baby-steps.

mgear likes this.