Search Unity

Unity Discord Chat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyer, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Tyer

Tyer

I thought it would be interesting to make a place where people can chat, see what other devs are doing, ask questions etc. Discord makes voice or text based chat quick and easy, so why not. Works on desktop and mobile devices really well. Voice is 100% optional.
    It's easy to mute people/yourself adjust volume etc.

We have separate text and voice channels.

Join Here
    Use this link to join the channel.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. Trexug

Trexug

In case you are looking for a Unity Community with a bit more fast paced communication I want to make you aware of the Unity Slack Group. It's pretty active but it's not voice chat, though.

Ony likes this.
  3. Tyer

Tyer

I'll have to look into it! Thanks!

4. Rasly233

Rasly233

Ill stick with unity3d on freenode.

5. Amon

Amon

It reads like an advert................I see the link you posted takes you to discord and most probably earns you commission.

The sneakiness has earned you this link https://discordapp.com/download

6. RogDolos

RogDolos

I think you've misunderstood. Discord uses URLs to invite a person to specific channels of interest and that's the think they included. It isn't a paid referral link, but instead the easy quick way to find the Unity channel on Discord that someone has set up.

I know the comments here were posted about a month ago but I thought I'd respond in case anyone else comes across this thread looking for an active Unity channel. Edit: Although unfortunately that channel does not seem very active, I expect sooner or later a Unity community may show up on Discord. The Slack chat mentioned above may be a better choice if you're a Slack user.

soleron likes this.
  7. computertech

computertech

I think most of the Unity forum thread is already have enough fast paced communication.

Discord is should be for playing a hardcore game to communicate with your guild team to fight your opponent in PvP. It is like teamspeak. The team leader and the guild member uses a speaker to talk live to fight inside a game. I used to use Discord to play Albion Online and they usually talk live very roughly during in a battle.

8. Tyer

Tyer

Just making a follow up post to share the channel is growing in activity. Almost always others online now. Mixed experience levels.
    So far, a very positive and useful group of 10+ people.

Very beginner friendly and of course always room for some of the Unity "pro's" out there as well!

Yeah, thank you for clarifying. I was tempted to say something back then...but sometimes its hard to draw a line from "trolling" or actual ignorance.

As for activity, things have picked up a decent amount. Could depend on the timezone you are in.

Lets agree to disagree.
    There is no reason a communication software should be limited purely to gaming. Text and voice communication is a HUGE part of the commercial business world. Any program that makes communication easier/meets a users needs can be used for anything.

Our discord group is 99% text based. And is divided into multiple channels to keep things organized and clean.
    We usualy only have 1-2 discussions going on at once. other channels and even private chat keeps things very clean.

discord also supports markdown...which means easy to read code blocks and even color syntax! so nice.

9. Tyer

Tyer

As our discord chat continues to grow I continue to invite everyone to join us! we now have what looks like 200+ members with at a minimum of 10+ online at any given time!

10. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

11. Martin_H

Martin_H

So there either are at least two "competing" discord chats (the other one claimed user numbers in the ~400+ range I think) or the one I'm thinking of has lost a lot of users. I barely understood making a discord chat to compete with slack, but ok, to each their own. But making a discord chat to compete with another discord chat, I don't really get it (unless you think the people in the other discord chat don't fit well with your desired userbase).

passerbycmc and Ostwind like this.
  12. steelersfan252

steelersfan252

I personally like to use skype but everyone is talking about discord now so I might have to suck it up and make the switch

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

One of them had a guy show up on Slack the other day advertising Discord too.

The owners of the second Discord may have received a ban from the first Discord.

14. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

both of them did, since the previous one had someone who was on slack very aggressively advertising his as well.

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Aww. I missed the entertainment. :(

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

We're missing a chat system on these forums...

Oh, there is one, down that that page on the right: https://unity3d.com/community

Oops...

I'm not sure about that Discord thing; the name of it makes me feel uncomfortable. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  17. soleron

soleron

It's fun to read all these "educated" doubts from the past about Discord.

In case you came here through a search, this is one of the largest Unity communities on Discord.
    The "Unity Developer Hub". Enjoy.

https://discord.gg/JURcbHd

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

For every product and service that succeeds there are many more that fail. That it became successful doesn't change the fact that it could have failed. If anything I blame the fact that they succeeded not on their own merits but on the failure of the competition to take them seriously.

Steam is only just now beginning to realize the monster they've become. With 130 million users Discord could very easily become a store front worthy of competing with them and all because Steam didn't have a solid communication platform between its users.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/24/...ew-features-roll-put-discord-like-competition

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Antypodish likes this.
  19. soleron

soleron

You are funny. :D But sorry. You are wrong.
    Discord succeeded because it is the best communication tool out there. It focused on its user base hard and constantly delivers premium meaningful features when others still struggle getting overlays right. It is free, and t is non intrusive. It's almost perfect for 2018. And if anyone should be scared with its immense userbase and growth rate, it is Steam.

Discord is starting its own shop and I hope that sad dinosaur called Steam, offers a way out of its DRM because it will be very embarrassing for these "freedom fighters" if they try to lock people in their pen. :)

Not only it caters to gamers by offering premium modern features, but also professional communities. By far the biggest game developer and digital art communities are today on Discord. If you are not in there yet you are missing on a lot.

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

Am I?

You literally just agreed with me here.

Antypodish likes this.
  21. PixeIz

PixeIz

I was part of the discord server for... let's just say a while ;). But not long ago, I login on discord to find out the server is missing in my server list. Since then, I try to find a way to rejoin it but can't seem to find it. Every link I find say they are "unvalid or expired", including this one... Do you have a working link that I could use to rejoin? Thanks :D

I'm always online on Discord, you can add me there : PixeIz#9781 (the L is a capital i)

22. Ryiah

Ryiah

One of the major communities (most likely the one you're asking about) had a massive falling out thanks to the actions of the owner of the community. I believe they moved to a different server name but I don't know the name of it and I wasn't able to find the post (I believe it was removed) with the new address.

23. PixeIz

PixeIz

That is really unfortunate. It's weird that I've just been kicked out like that :/ Would've been nice to have some explainations... Do you know any chill Unity community I could join? I really found the previous one useful as there were a bunch of awesome people always ready to help me out when I had an issue I couldn't solve through the API or simply answer any questions I had!

24. Murgilod

Murgilod

There's a lack of significant moderation on the new server anyway if you care about people not being super racist too.

25. PixeIz

PixeIz

Do you have a link to said server? Or an other one? That'd be appreciated :D

26. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

rainboww likes this.
  27. PixeIz

PixeIz

28. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Sorry for grave digging but wanted to note for people who stumble to this thread using search that there is now Official Unity Discord, link here: https://discord.gg/unity