Search Unity

Unity Dialogue Engine - Out now!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by MrDude, Aug 5, 2009.

1. MrDude

MrDude

2. Marble

Marble

I'll be using this tool for my next project. Looks great and really flexible.

3. MrDude

MrDude

Glad you like it
    Be sure to contact me before you start. I may have updates available for you :D

One of my customers has recently contacted me with some serious use for the UDE and doing so would have been a HUGE undertaking but I managed to find a very simple method of modifying the UDE for his requirements and now his "high undertaking" is done almost completely automatically. In fact, something that took me 3 days to write, he told me "Yeah, well, I actually want it to work completely differently... sorry" and it took me 1 line of code and one property change in the inspector (a total of 2 minutes work) to change it to the way he wanted it to work...

So let me know if you have any specific requirements and I'll see if I can help you out :D

4. sanpats

sanpats

Just purchased from AS. Looking forward to use it in my RPG project.

5. MrDude

MrDude

Hi all

Today I am looking for some UDE help from you :D

I have a potential customer who wants to integrate the UDE with PlayMaker but since I have no clue how PlayMaker does what it does I am not in a very good position to tell him wether integration will be as easy as... say... EZGUI... or wether PlayMaker will require that he jump through a lot of hoops to get them working together smoothly.

So I am wondering wether any of you have actually used the UDE with Playmaker before. I seem to recall one of you over a year ago mentioning something about PlayMaker but that is all I recall...

So if you have used the UDE with PlayMaker before, would you please post your experience with the two here or just contact me via PM or email so I can find out from you what to tell him?

Much appreciated :D

6. INKling

INKling

Hey! This is the 'potential customer'.

PlayMaker has an "Enable GUI" action which calls OnGUI that is embedded inside of a FSM.
    Quote from the program:
    "Enables/Disables the PlayMakerGUI component in the scene. Note, you need a PlayMaker GUI component in the scene to see OnGUI actions."

The reason I want to use PlayMaker is because I have an NPC doing an animation and I want it to be interrupted by the player to have a conversation. So, PM currently handles my animation duties and I would like it to lead into conversations.

7. MrDude

MrDude

Hi all

Just thought I'd let you know of my Christmas discount voucher. Simply use voucher XMAS2012 during checkout for 20% discount on all items on my website.

Enjoy and merry Christmas
    http://www.mybadstudios.com

8. MrDude

MrDude

9. G_Trex

G_Trex

Hi

A question for MrDude or anyone else who's used this.

Do the conversations work in first person games? The product description says you can inspect objects, but can you still have dialogue and replies like in the third person demo?

10. MrDude

MrDude

Hi G_Trex

Most certainly. Think of it as a background process that you can start and stop as you please. While it is active you can simply query the FormattedText() value to find out what should be displayed on screen. Then you just show it however you please.

First person, 3rd person, MUD or any other Text Based adventure, platformers, simulations, sports... You can even use this while playing a game of pac-man, there truly is no restrictions :) Contact me via the form on my website if you need any assistance (or ask here. Whichever works for you) and I'll be glad to help :)

11. _AL3X

_AL3X

I created an account just to post this review.

I had a really hard time getting this to work initially, and the developer helped me every step of the way via email, above and beyond any customer-developer interaction I've had in a very long time. The UDE is very extendable and implementing dialogue functionality onto objects is a snap.

The hangup that I had (in case anyone with similar projects in mind is reading this) was that I am using this engine in a 2D space, rather than the 3D space that it was designed for. Because of this, there is a variable on the Player script that allows an angle of interaction between the player and, say, an NPC, so that you couldn't for instance talk to someone with your back to them. I never realized this would be a problem that would cause the dialogue to not work, but alas. After he helped me figure that out it worked immediately.

Fantastic customer support; the developer will make sure this works for you. 5 stars.

12. BronzeLeagueHero

BronzeLeagueHero

Awesome, I was just looking for this kind of dialogue stuff for a serious game. Thanks !