Search Unity

Unity Devs please step up yo game...

Discussion in 'Android' started by luniac, Dec 10, 2019.

1. luniac

luniac

So i just got back to game dev after a few months off.
    Here's how I lost several hours fixing bugs and issues.

I go into Unity Hub, get told there's a new version, cool i install it no problem.
    I then install through Unity Hub newest Unity, 2019.2.15, all good no problem.

I create a new android project, work a bit, and go to player settings and the bullshit adventures begin...
    player settings opens, i click on icon tab and bunch of errors pop up in console, player settings window goes blank.
    I google for a solution and try:
    I restart unity, no fix, i change platforms and then change back, no fix.
    I try to build project and get a "ANDROID SDK NOT FOUND".
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Of course the automatically installed tools are somehow still not detected....

So of course i go googling googling googling...
    Finally i see a thread saying download SDK tools manually and overwrite the Tools folder in the android section of the Editor folder structure.
    I go to the path and see there isn't even a Tools folder!
    im thinking ok so for some reason unity went full retard and didn't install it.

I try to copy it over from my download path and LO AND BEHOLD, "FILEPATH TOO LONG!"
    LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

SO THE UNITY HUB APPROACH CREATES AN INSTALL PATH THATS SO LONG THAT THE AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOADED ANDROID SDK CAN'T EXTRACT THE TOOLS FOLDER TO THE PATH LOL!!!!
    unfuckin believable, how long has this been going on...

so im like ok F*** this hub bullshit, i copy the entire 2019.2.15 folder into the C:\ root to shorten drive.
    this of course breaks the hub, it fails to launch projects but won't let me "LOCATE" the new path for 2019.2.15 cause it STILL THINKS ITS INSTALLED.
    so i "uninstall" the version whatever, then i locate the new folder path and thats fixed ok cool.

so i try to copy the SDK Tools folder and this time it copies fine, hallellujahhhh!!! praise the lord jesus!!

I launch unity, and boom the player settings tab is fixed just like that,
    SWEET IT ONLY TOOK LIKE 3 HOURS OF FRUSTRATED GOOGLING BUT OK!!!

So here i am thinking my troubles are over but oh how naive of me, oh how naive of me!!!
    I play around with player settings, stuff like switching to IL2CPP and latest NET 4x etc etc etc

I try building an apk... and... and... and... "NDK NOT FOUND!"
    LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

yea "auto installed" NDK my ballsack.
    So i go googling googling googling googling googling....
    Eventually i find 2 potential issues, either the NDK version is innapropriate for the unity version, AND/OR unity tries to find the NDK at the path NDK/ instead off NDK/ndkversionxxx

So i downloaded latest NDK, then 19 version NDK, neither of them worked either inside their version folder or contents copied to NDK/ path.
    Then i try version 16b and it still didn't find it, then i copied the contents of 16b into the NDK/ path and...
    it fukin worked! LOL

so literally even if you had the proper 16b version, unity still AUTOINSTALLS it improperly!!! cause it doesn't extract it into the NDK/ path.

I feel i got the proper welcome back to Game Dev, thanks unity lol... ur the best.:p
    6 hours of my life gone.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Without seeing your errors, we are not able to assist. And improper language will get you banned.

3. luniac

luniac

lol its all good guys, no worries. i love unity, warts and all.