Search Unity

Unity Developer Network is live!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by AngryAnt, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Tiles

Tiles

Okay, i take that back. Now that i am untrapped again it works :)

2. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Awesome. Thanks :) Good to know.

3. Tiles

Tiles

Hm, Unity Feedback has double buttons in the menu bar. This is surely not intended :)

Unfortunately i can`t attach a image to proof it because the attachment system seems to be broken too.

Of course it is. I have zipped it. It is surely of interest for the web developers :)

4. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Odd it seems to be working now, didn't get any emails overnight but now they have started coming in again. Thank you.

5. scarpelius

scarpelius

Ok, it worked somehow smooth to claim my username, but how I could hide UDN top div? No offense but my monitor is wide and i didn't appreciate the fact that that div is staying all the time there taking height from page. Not to mention the fact that the logout button is not that important to stay all the time on the screen.

6. mgear

mgear

same here.. i'll be using this to hide it for now,
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/

7. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/141992-Problem-with-alpha-view-in-forward-rendering.

Again i have to ask the question... this post... that i made probably a few days before u updated UDN... it has lost its attached pictures. Have you guys broken any post that had pictures? Is this permanent? Causes problems for the the "knowledge base" when your searching for a problem but now can no longer see it.. Must i reupload the photos on this particular post? Are you guys planning on fixing it at all?

8. trooper

trooper

Minor gripe (apologies if already mentioned):

When searching on google and you click a link that directs to a unity post... it logs you in then take you to the forum home page instead of the link you clicked :(

9. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Yea, i noticed that it also does that if u refresh the page sometimes.. instead of refreshing the forum post your in it will take you to the forum home page sometimes.

10. burnumd

burnumd

I'm getting emails for new post notifications, but sometimes clicking the link in the email dumps me to the main forum page rather than the thread page. There seems to be a correlation between when the link fails and the "Log in" button appearing at the top vs. the link working and my username appearing at the top, but I can't seem to suss out anything other than "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't."

11. Acumen

Acumen

Constantly getting logged out :/
    Also I'd love to be able to log in with my user nick and not the email addy...

But I guess one can't have everything. Hope these changes are super helpful to many many unity users, though. I'm just a forum regular and not really into the other aspects, but I'm sure you've taken the right steps for a more unified future :)

12. ikriz

ikriz

Nice work, works like a charm successfully claimed my accounts!

13. Tseng

Tseng

I second sign for that too!

Yea, whenever the session expires or get refreshed, it will log you back in which results in the index page. A show stopper for me as it I often have a thread open in my browser when i close it or doing something else and come back to refresh it, i throws me back to index page which is not only annoying but on a browser restart could result in losing the thread (and having to spend time to find it back)

14. DannyB

DannyB

I see this was reported before on this thread, wanted to add my report - this is definitely annoying.

All links from Google to the forum lead to a redirect page that then sends me to the homepage, even though I am logged in to the forum.

Pages from Google lead me to a URL like this:
    forum.unity3d.com/login.php?do=commonlogin&uname=LONG_HASH

Which then ends up on the forum homepage.

15. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Hey guys

Thanks for re-reporting the redirect issue. We're aware of it and working on it :)

And yes, very few people like the permanent top-banner (me included ;) ). We're also looking into that along with other more or less obvious design issues :)

16. stimarco

stimarco

Just a heads-up: I find that UDN is logging me in—at least, it lists my username in the "Online Users" list at the bottom of the page, BUT the UDN banner at the top still displays a "Log In" button. Clicking on that button also seems to have no effect: I have to force a page refresh to show the logged-in status.

[EDIT: Just played around with it some more and it seems moving my mouse pointer over it can sometimes cause it to change to the logged-in state. This definitely needs further debugging.]

Also, there's nothing that tells me if I'm about to logout while I'm writing a reply. I've lost one long reply as a result of this: submitting the post simply throws you back to the thread page with the "Log In" button at the top. No warning. No notice. No countdown. Nada. This is poor.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  17. Demigiant

Demigiant

Since you're looking in design issues, and since I'm one of those people that find the fixed top banner simply distracting/useless/awful, I thought I might humbly suggest the two main fixes that should be applied (on my opinion):
    1. First and foremost, don't make it fixed (or if it really has to stay fixed, at least remove the lower transparent area): it's annoying, ugly, and takes a lot of space
    2. Use it for something! :p At least the "Forums/Answers/Feedback" links should definitely be in there - both logically and usability-wise
    That said, great job: I really like the idea of merging everything together (if I wasn't logged out each time I come back - but I suppose this is a temporary error that will be fixed). Would be cool if Unify was there too :)

18. jashan

jashan

19. Moonjump

Moonjump

The links are already at the top of the page on the Black bar with all the Unity links.

That bar together with the existing forum path / user details area provides all the information we need. And has space left over for any addition features that may appear. The UDN banner and the Community area are both redundant and both larger than they need to be.

Even on a 1920x1200 screen, a full quarter of the height is wasted when I navigate to a new forum page.

20. paulo

paulo

Manage Attachments: Errors????
    I can´t upload pictures??

Request Entity Too Large
    The requested resource
    /newattachment.php
    does not allow request data with POST requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server at forum.unity3d.com Port 80

My acccount name is diferent,?? And zero posts (1)??????????????

I like older version.
    My original nick (pauloaguiar).
    For my point of view this new staff is all damage:(

21. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

EDIT: Never mind. The forum error I received was clearly itself erroneous.

22. SingularityDef

SingularityDef

Hey,

Where I report bugs reguarding UDN ?

Best
    GreetinGs

23. Tiles

Tiles

Here :)

Or you contact Unity directly.

24. Tiles

Tiles

... and got kicked to the front page when i clicked the Reply to Thread button to answer another thread. I was logged in, i have answered here before. So being logged off couldn`t be the cause. Odd.

25. SingularityDef

SingularityDef

I think an Announcements thread is really not the right place to report bugs.

26. Tiles

Tiles

In my opinion t`s as good as any other place here. Just that here the chances are a bit bigger to become heard.

EDIT - this can`t be true, can it? My nick name is completely gone now O_O

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

imho a floating side bar that can pop out when you click the tab with answers, forum favorites (tagged topics) and so on would be rather cool and unobtrusive

28. Tiles

Tiles

I second that. I just love sidebars with useful links and infos.

Oh, and i cannot upload a new avatar image ... -.-

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  29. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

I've got my account Back, I don't see any other problems with the new system other than the UI.

30. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

My account is back,:)

There is an problem:( upload picture error:

Error: this is not a valid image file!
    I try upload diferent images extections as forum rules!?

31. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

SingularityDef: If you feel it's a true bug, you can use the bug reporter in the Unity Editor. If you are unclear, you can PM me with the details and we can discuss it.

32. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Ok, my problem solved. Thanks UT.

33. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Just had a look at the feeback site. Appears I no longer have any 'Ideas' listed under my account, though I know I had some before the switch. I have no votes cast says I have 10 left, yet I also have 3 votes which have been assigned to some random idea about 'scripting' that I would never have voted for in the first place.

Is this normal, a glitch or what?

I have this awful feeling that the whole voting system has been hosed, as the random scripting Idea above that I have apparently assigned 3 votes to is like 7th in the top voted ideas!

Hmm, I think I found an old Idea, supporting DDS for cubemaps, which was apparently created by 'John Doe'. I seem to remember seeing this name a few times and i've only just made the connection ;)

Also looking through I can see a few ideas that have been implemented a while back (Deferred rendering) and wonder why they are still in the system? With all this new effort in updating the website, would it not be prudent to go through the Ideas and cull those that have been implemented as well as merge duplicates (there are at least 3 asking for DDS/cubemap support) to try and keep it lean?

34. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

As you might have noticed, some changes are live today - most visibly the top bar changes. The intend is indeed to put more functionality in it, but that functionality is part of later iterations of Unity Developer Network.

We're aware of several issues with Feedback, but as Little Angel mentions, using the bug reporter to report these issues is the best way to get issues addressed.

Note that everyone got a new fresh account in the Feedback function at the Unity Developer Network launch so your old ideas will indeed not be assigned to your account anymore.

35. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I think that's a lot better, thanks!

--Eric

36. SevenBits

SevenBits

EDIT: It's a little buggy. Up in the top right where it shows your username, sometimes it shows my username (SevenBits), other times "Unregistered" and yet other times ellipsis points "...", even when I'm logged in.

Also, you should be able to log in with your forum username like before.

37. Mauri

Mauri

Same here with "Unregistered"...

To be honest, i like the idea of UDN and it's really cool but to me it seems that it wasn't really tested out before it went online. How comes? There are so many bugs...

38. rygo6

rygo6

can some administrator here help me...

through a series of events, which may have been my fault, but I didnt really know this would cause issues, I have somehow caused my original forum account name 'eem' to be renamed to 'techmage' and consequently disassociated with any emails and I can't get to that account anymore

Can an administrator rename 'techmage' back to 'eem' and associate my email with it? rygosix at gmail dot com

39. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

Lost my forum name!

It seems someone is using "Cameron" on answers, so I couldn't use it on the forums anymore?

I asked about this beofre the change but no one from Unity replied saying it would be a problem. :(

Was totally confused and a little annoyed when claiming accounts/names. Thankfully "Cameron." (with the full stop) worked, but still. Despite having read all the announcements about the change I felt quite lost, didn't want to pick a new name, there was very little help available as I couldn't even read the forums without the system forcing me to pick a name at that point.

Adding a little note that you can change your handle later on would have put me at ease.

Hopefully I can get my non . name back at some point.

40. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I haven't seen "Unregistered", but I do get the "..." frequently, and it has severe issues with always logging me out despite checking the box telling it not to do that. The top bar is a lot better now, but this still needs to be fixed.

--Eric

41. Tiles

Tiles

I can confirm "Unregistered" as my username. Have seen this before.

At the moment i log in as not logged in. Means i see the Login button, and the normal menu bar from being logged out. There is no New Posts button, but the Today`s Posts button. When i click the Todays Posts Button then i`m officially logged in, and can see the New Posts Button. But clicking at it leads to just a handful results now. Seems that clicking at Today`s posts has emptied the New Posts list.

42. Tseng

Tseng

The new UDN now really starts to piss me off to be honest.

Not only it logs me out every few minutes, I just lost a medium sized post, because at the time i clicked submit, the session expired, I was redirected to the login page and after that the post was gone.

This is really a deal breaker. It makes it impossible to use the forum, when you get logged off every few minutes. Before that I was logged in for around 30+ days before I had to relog. I never lost a post before, because my session expired.

Other than that, there are some serious issues with multi-tabs. When I start the browser (that started recently, once the bar on the top was changed), I am logged off by default, which is very annoying. I often have more than 2 tabs open and saved in the browser, so they reopen every time I start the browser.

But now, I am usually logged of and it happens often, that one of the tabs has a session id in the url, i.e.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/142105-UDN-is-live!/page5?xx

When I log in in another tab, then refresh the tab with the session id in the url, it will log me out again of the first tab I logged in and i have to manually remove the session id from the URL, which really drives me nuts.

And then, 20 minutes later, in the middle of writing a post, it logs me out again. Really, there need to be a checkbox again, to keep the session alive for a very long time (30-90 days at least).

And I don't know what others think, but if this issues are not fixed quickly I'll just reduce my forum usage to a minimum or only when I need something special. Which is a pity, since I loved browsing through the script/android forums, reading about certain interesting problems and their solution, which kind of helps seeing how people solved a certain problem which makes just a better programmer and even posting sometimes.

43. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Tseng: I have experienced login issues myself, and they are extremely frustrating. I'm in contact with the web-devs in charge of the Unity Developer Network and Forum and they are aware of it. I'm unclear what the time scale is, but I had my Skype window open most of the morning as we monitored some issues. I can only apologise on behalf of those involved, but I have reported it, and it is being addressed.

I will admit that I now (unhappily) do the copy before posting trick just in case I get logged out. I don't know why this is happening, but I do know it was not intentional.

44. zircher

zircher

Just wanted to second everything that Tseng mentioned. Very annoying. (FYI, using MSIE 9 with Chrome Frame under Win7 64 bit, if that matters.)
    --
    TAZ

45. scarpelius

scarpelius

Hey things are moving, the top div now stay fixed :).
    Can I suggest a integration of the 3 top zones into a single header? You have now UDN grey div, old black unity menu and bellow the new search community div. All of these can be compressed in a single header.

46. SevenBits

SevenBits

No additional problems under Firefox 13, other than what I mentioned above.

47. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

There has been a temp fix pushed live as of Fri. A fault was detected that seemed to limit sessions to 15 minutes on one of the integrated systems (yay for SSO) and this has been extended significantly to hours. A permanent change is in the works.

On the other hand, that fix also seems to have *bothered* some of the other systems - like the "report" button is now missing from the bottom of each post.

SO!

Hang on to your hat! The ride continues.

48. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

49. longisle

longisle

I have really silly question: Why wasn't wiki included with this unification to encourage people to participate ?

50. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

The UnifyWiki is not run by Unity Technologies, but by a community effort.