Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Developer Network is live!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by AngryAnt, Jul 2, 2012.

1. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

The first iteration of Unity Developer Network is now live featuring unified search and single-sign-on.

1. In order to access your community services, you need to first sign in with- or create your Unity Developer Network account. You may already have a Unity Developer Network account as existing Asset Store and online store accounts have been automatically migrated.

2. Once you are signed into your account and navigate to the forum or Answers, you will be prompted to either claim your old account there or to specify a new user name in case you do not have a pre-existing account.

3. Existing feedback accounts have been archived and a new account will automatically be created for you with ten new votes. Pre-existing feedback items remain active.
    Notes:
    • User names in Answers are case sensitive whereas in the forum they are not. However the casing you choose when claiming your forum name is applied to your final account. The ability to change handles will be made available soon.

• If you previously logged into Answers using your forum credentials, you will have to use the Answers reset password function to specify a temporary password for use when claiming the account.

• You need to be registered with both a forum and an Answers account. Otherwise the claiming process will not be completed.

2. soloneer

soloneer

I'm so glad, even with a password manager it was getting unwieldy having all the different Unity logins. :)

3. Sean_Hall

Sean_Hall

I've found a bug, sometimes when you change pages it says log in instead of showing your user name.

Other than that I think it is allot better than having multiple accounts for one website.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  4. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Are the RSS feeds still working Google Reader isn't showing any new threads since the switchover.

5. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I cant claim my unity answers account, already had it email me the link twice, but still nothing working for adding it... when i try to log in it doesnt work.

6. c-Row

c-Row

Can confirm this. Registering and claiming my previous accounts worked fine, though.

7. Moonjump

Moonjump

I like the idea of everything being together. Unfortunately it seems to have dropped the capitalisation of my username in the process of the switch, and won't let me change it.

Plus the forums now waste a wide band of screen space saying "Unity Developer Network" and my username. I'd rather be able to see more content. Plus the semi-transparent band is distracting as images enter it.

8. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Thanks. This is a known issue where the UI does not correctly update.

Refreshing your current page or navigating to another section of the community section you are in should update it.

9. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I know its the first day, but anyone else notice how slow and unresponsive the websites are right now.

Also, got my unity answers working.. for whatever reason my username in answers had capitcal letters in it and was case sensitive... though i dont ever recall that. :/

10. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Fixed it for you.

11. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

I'll make sure to relay your design feedback. Thanks :)

Regarding your capitalisation: Once you claimed your account, the exact typing out of your nickname was applied across the network.

This is not irreversible, but the interface for changing your display name is unfortunately not being rolled out today. It is not far away either though - hang in there.

12. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Neat, this will be useful... and a username change. That is also cool.

13. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Unity Developer Network is unfortunately a bit slow at the moment as we're receiving quite a bit of traffic from curious community members :)

Regarding your Answers account: The forum login has always been case insensitive whereas the Answers has been case sensitive. Luckily you don't have to worry about that anymore ;)

14. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

The feeds seem to update, but do note that they are not updated realtime.

15. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Tried adding a jpg to a post and it was marked as invalid, any idea why this may be?

16. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Seems i've lost access to my Unity Answers account. I signed into this new UDN thing, and went through the process to claim my forum account. That appears to have gone ok. It then had some screen about keeping or changing your nickname. I tried to capitalise the first letter, but it said that name was already in use. It then went back to all lower case for my nickname. I clicked ok and it took me straight to Unity answers with a whole new account?

So not sure whats gone wrong there, what do I have to do to get this fixed?

17. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

The screen you refer to was the screen for claiming your answers account or creating a new one. You chose to create a new one.

Please contact support if this is not what you intended.

18. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Noticed one of my previous posts from a few days ago had some images that went with the question i asked. Now the attached images are blank / not there.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/141992-Problem-with-alpha-view-in-forward-rendering.

Do i have to reupload the attachments?

I like the UDN setup, but i think it may be doing more harm then good if all the questions ever answered no longer have the pictures that describe the problems.

19. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

We have not changed anything in that part of the forum setup and as you can see above, others can upload photos.

You should have received more detailed error messages regarding your attempted upload.

20. rygo6

rygo6

I couldn't get my old username for some reason....

my username should be 'eem'

how do I get that back?

21. Acumen

Acumen

yay im there. Interesting to see how that all works out :)

22. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Could you be more specific in the "some reason" part of your post?

23. Sean_Hall

Sean_Hall

For some reason my account is not correctly linked, my username before the change was Sean Hall, now it is Sean_Hall and it has all the threads, posts from my old unity account, which I registered with.

24. goodhustle

goodhustle

@AngryAnt, who should we contact for UDN support? I think trying to use "forgot password" with the Answers claim messed up my forum username that I already claimed, and now it's wrong everywhere. :(

25. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Here's what I get:
    http://www.screencast.com/t/j3oc4bo7FAk

26. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

In response to my post... i have not tried to upload images yet, im saying this is an old post with images. What was changed to break those images? Will all posts with images be broken now and require a reupload?

27. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Another little issue I am not getting email updates about new posts to threads I am subscribed to such as this one for example.

28. WolfoX

WolfoX

Heh, For some reason UDN linked my profile to this old forum acc I dont use anymore...
    Ive sent you sir AngryAnt a pm with details, please help me to solve this issue.

29. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone, we have people working on the issues you are seeing - but if things went very wrong with the Claim process for you - please email support at unity3d.com and they'll pass this on to our web team. Remember to include - what you did, what your answers / forum usernames were, what you tried to set your Unity Developer Network username to, and of course your email address too. Thanks for your patience, sorry this is inconveniencing some of you - this is part of a wider plan to make more cool stuff for you all, so please bear with us during this transition, we'll do everything we can to help you out!

30. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

All seemed well, when I first setup the single account, but after logging off, it required an email and password to log back in. It previously asked for a username and password, not email. Anyhow, I tried the passwords from my old Unity Forum and Unity Answers accounts, but neither work. I ended up resetting the password, and was able to log in afterward (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be able to post this message).

Later, I tried to update my profile avatar, although all attempts have failed. It says that it takes a 150x120 (or smaller) image that is 48.8 KB or smaller in size. I have tried uploading a PNG and JPG with those dimensions (11 to 20 KB, depending on format), but neither worked. The only feedback I receive is a message that says, "Invalid File". I have also uploaded the avatar image to my website, and tried use Option 1 ("Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website"), but that didn't work either.

Has anyone else been able to update their profile avatar, and if so ... which file format did you use? What were the image dimensions?

EDIT: I should mention that I was trying to edit the forum profile avatar. It looks like Answers and Feedback might use a different avatar system.

2012-07-08 EDIT: The system is working now. I was able to upload a new avatar image. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  31. rygo6

rygo6

I don't know exactly... I logged in with the email I thought was associated with the name 'eem', and then I tried to connect it to unity answers, but I have only ever logged onto unity answers via the unity forum connection, and so I couldn't figure out how to get my udn account connected to my unity answers name eem because unity answers no longer had the unity icon on the login screen, so it made me choose a new unity answers name, so i typed in rygo6, but then it also named my forum account that...

32. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Trying to upload a PNG file does give a more extensive error:
    http://www.screencast.com/t/ymmycwoG

33. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Got everything sorted out here once I figured out I didn't previously have an Answers account.

I like it.... I like it when Unity does cool stuff in secret then suddenly comes out with it and its amazing, just as much as I like it when Unity tells us early about all the cool features that are coming up .... so I guess I can't have it both ways... I guess I'm saying I like everything Unity does? lol

34. Zukunft2

Zukunft2

same here. My forum account should be "cram" but it was linked with an old acc.

35. goodhustle

goodhustle

Just sent an email to support, thanks!

36. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Do we need the Unity Developer Network perma-banner at the top? It's kinda distracting and doesn't seem to serve much purpose, aside from taking up space. Can it be made toggle-able?

--Eric

37. jashan

jashan

Are the "Feedback" contents still being restored? I noticed that all the comments are missing on one entry I have created (except for one, possible the last one, or the first one). It still shows "13 comments" - but I can only see one. And instead of showing my name, the entry I'm referring to shows "John Doe" (I was basically trying to find out which entries I had voted for but it seems that will be a little difficult right now).

Also, it seems like quite a few votes have disappeared. The maximum number of votes currently seems to be around 120 ... I believe the Linux player entry had about 14000 last time I've looked.

Aside from that: AWESOME! ;-)

38. jashan

jashan

Ooops, Answers seems to still be a little buggy. I just gave 10 votes to the Metro thing ... which I think is fine (if I'm really willing to put all my votes on one item, why not). However, I then noticed that there's another entry that has a vote from me:

http://feedback.unity3d.com/unity/all-categories/1/top/active/latefixedupdate

There's two issues with that:

a) I did NOT vote for that
    b) Now there are 11 votes from me (10 for the metro-thing, 1 for the latefixedupdate that I didn't really vote for)

39. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes, I don't have the ability to comment, or do any other action (convert comment to answer etc.) on Answers at the moment, although I do have access to the moderation queue and can approve things.

--Eric

40. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Please read the whole of the original post in this thread. Your issues are covered there already.

41. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

The graphical design of Unity Developer Network as a whole is not yet finalised, but will be in a later revision. We'll take your feedback into account :)

42. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

To people who successfully claimed their old accounts (profile, posts etc.), but found it is now listed under a different name:

Unity Developer Network means you will have the same nickname across the services and the claiming process lets you specify what that is.

If you dislike your choice, note that we will be rolling out global profile settings soon which will include the ability to change your handle.

43. Tiles

Tiles

Just in case my post from the other thread sinks unread in the abyss, are you aware that you have cut away Google search with UDN? That just registered users are now allowed to read posts? This is a big hurdle in my opinion. 98% of all forum users are just readers of a forum, and not active participants. The main part of them will never register.

Oh, and i am trapped in claim. I never had a Unity Answers account from what i know. But the login screen forces me to verify it ...

44. Farfarer

Farfarer

Going to the Feedback page... I'm unable to post comments.

My feedback account was also automatically given 3 votes on something I didn't vote for. Removing those votes gives my account a total of 13 votes (the original 10 plus those 3 votes I "reclaimed").

Which I guess isn't right.

45. Dreamora

Dreamora

you can click that you didn't have one (link below the claim button) and it will create one for you I think. You will no longer get in there without one though I think. Similar to other Dev Networks its with account or not at all

But answers in general is flucky. I had to kick the claim multiple times as the pw reset didn't do the job initially

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  46. Tiles

Tiles

Ah, you are right. Now i am logged in there - with the wrong username, gah. That for too fast clicking :D

Anyways, thanks :)

47. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Is anyone else not getting notification emails for new posts on subscribed threads, I have checked all my settings and they are correct but I am still not getting anything since the switch to UDN

48. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I've gotten some, not sure if all.

49. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Do you still find this is the case after you became "untrapped"? ;)

I'm able to google and access forum posts just fine whether I'm logged in or not.

50. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

I'm responding to this thread based on an email I got from the forum. Are you sure you are not just receiving them on an unexpected account? Note that the email you use to log in is the one used across all systems.