Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity deletes files while crashing

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by fred_gds, Aug 1, 2014.

1. fred_gds

fred_gds

Hey,

I'm writing here because it seems like Unity (every release since 3.5 /currently running 4.5.0f6) is running very unstable on my computer. So my computer is a quite new Macbook Pro 13" Retina with 2.5ghz i5 and 8 gb of ram, so it quiet matches the requirements of Unity.
    So I got used to pressing cmd + s as often as I can due Unity crashing randomly. So in most of the times I just have to restart Unity and can continue my work, maybe redoing the last minute of work I have already completed.
    But on some days (like today) Unity decided to delete my entire Scene when crashing. I have been working 8 hours straight on that scene and just before I got off of work Unity crashed deleting the scene with it. So actually I tried recovering it by seeking the temp folders and doing an entire scan of all the deleted files on my macbook. But while I found quiet some files even from january the scene magically disappeared. Which drives me crazy as this is unacceptable for me.
    Especially as Unity was so kind of sending me pop up that it crashed because it ran out of Ram. So can't see how being out of Ram can affect my hard drive on which the scene was already saved.
    So as my project is about 7 gb big I don't really feel like filing a bug report as it would take forever to upload the file and I like to use my internet connection for other things too.
    While the entire project file is quiet big the scene file itself isn't, as I am working on mobile games and if a game runs on an iPad 2 i'm very confident that even the most buggy version of it should run on every notebook.
    Nevertheless I would still be very pleased if somebody (I would prefer somebody working at Unity Technology) would be so kind to explain why those crashes happen and where my files go, as there is no reason how they can just disappear.

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

@Fred'sIphone - sorry to hear you've lost your scene file. I know how frustrating that must be. If Unity needs memory, and the OS is not able to fulfil the request, then Unity will terminate after telling you the bad news. I don't know exactly what Unity was doing before it ran out of memory, but it's possible that Unity asked for memory whilst it was writing your scene file.

Revision control software is a solution. The server can keep the last copy.

3. Griautis

Griautis

AI & Physics STE Unity Technologies

Hey, could you please post a bug and post the case number here?

4. fred_gds

fred_gds

I actually didn't report a bug for that one