Search Unity

Unity deleted whole scene after upgrade and ruined my game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EyeDev44, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EyeDev44

EyeDev44

I had upgrade Unity 2019.3 to 2020.1, then I beheld that one of two scenes- main menu is empty, all gameobjects deleted, including camer. How to restore that?

upload_2020-8-1_21-37-26.png

Code (CSharp):
    1. Failed to load 'F:/Unity/Flappy Navalny/Assets/Scenes/Menu.unity'. File may be corrupted or was serialized with a newer version of Unity.

Attached Files:

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Let's just get this out of the way now. You should be using a version control system. With a VCS this would be solvable in a moment by simply telling it to revert the files back to before you tried to update the project.

You can't restore it without a copy saved somewhere else like in a VCS. You might be able to open up the scene file in an external text editor and save out some aspects of the scene but that's going to be a lengthy process.

3. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Is it still gone if you reload the project in the original version of Unity?

4. EyeDev44

EyeDev44

Yes

5. EyeDev44

EyeDev44

It didn't wrked for me. It's not availble to add VCS (Github for me) to alreasdy existing project

6. neginfinity

neginfinity

You can add git version control to anything that is stored in a filesystem. You can also add it to existing unity project.

Ryiah likes this.
  7. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

How can you be skilled enough at IT to be building a game, and not know that you should keep regular backups (I mean VCS is obviously the way to go, and even then you shuld have backups, but if not that then surely something else?!?)

Trying to think of an analogy:

* an electrician who doesn't cut the power before they work?
    * a surgeon who doesn't know how to wash their hands?

---

You can see if there's anything salvagable in your scene file, if its serialised as text you can open in a text editor, but it is unlikely if it opens as blank in both new and old version.

Hopefully you learn the lesson:

Always retain mutliple up-to-date copies of your project!

Joe-Censored, bobisgod234 and Ryiah like this.
  8. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Closing. Wrong forum. Make a backup before upgrading, (like the warning dialog says). Use version control.

Joe-Censored likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.