Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Deleted EVERYTHING

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ziron999, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Ziron999

Ziron999

I lost my entire project for no reason at all.
    I was using version 2020.1.4f1 and installed bolt, a few UI packages, made some art changes.
    Then I realized i couldn't type to change the name of a gameobject.
    So i closed unity to re-open and EVERYTHING disappeared. Brand new project...

2. CortiWins

CortiWins

My condolences.

This is the most common way people learn that making backups is not something you should do "someday". You can try data recovery, it worked okayish on old harddrives but i'm not sure if that is still valid for SSDs. For the future: get a cloud somewhere. Microsoft Azure DevOps for example has free unlimited private git-space for the first 5 users on a project. Perfectly fine for backing up software, works smooth with VisualStudio and Unity.

3. ForceVFX

ForceVFX

so a ghost? some evil spirit? I do not believe you.. I would suggest some sort of proof before you slander unity. Your library/serialization may be corrupted? but unity does not have a 'DELETE ALL PROJECT FILES" MACRO! Unity has NEVER deleted anything I did not want deleted, in almost a decade.

4. mgear

mgear

i've seen tens, if not more, of these project got deleted threads, and certainly it has happened to people from various reasons.. but if project folder or files are actually lost from the drive, then there is nothing much that you can do. (other than those undelete apps).

but yeah, bitbucket, github has free private repositories,
    search for Unity Version Control, there are tutorials how to set it up.

5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Seriously... do this. Making a game takes at least several hours of time, if not weeks or years. You would not play an adventure game without a save cartridge, and source control is basically a save cartridge for development.

Some more notes:

Share/Sharing source code between projects:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/your-techniques-to-share-code-between-projects.575959/#post-3835837

Here's how I use git in one of my games, Jetpack Kurt:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/2-steps-backwards.965048/#post-6282497

Sorry it had to happen to you but as others above pointed it, your entire project is likely still in the Assets folder, so it's worth looking in and making a copy NOW, then getting on source control properly.

unityunity