Search Unity

Unity Debugger Extension for Visual Studio Code 3.x Preview Release

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by miniwolf_unity, Apr 1, 2019.

1. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

A new version of the Unity Debugger Extension for Visual Studio Code is being released here for early testing and feedback. The debugger extension has been upgraded to the latest debugger libraries to provide a better debugging experience and try to address some of the issues found by users.

This new release is targeting a few missing features such as LogPoints and increasing stability on the debugger in general. Follow the release notes below.

Please report any kind of feedback in this thread and help us track issues by reporting them on the GitHub repo: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/vscode-unity-debug/issues

Download
    If you need to download an earlier release please visit the GitHub page and download them from the release page. You can also use the stable version found on the marketplace. This link will be kept up-to date with the latest version at all times.

Installation

Warning: Installing this version will override your existing Unity Debugger extension.

The provided .vsix file can be manually installed from inside VS Code by following these instructions:
    • Open your workspace, in the extension tab in the left menu.
    • Here you can open settings on the three dots in the bar with the name Extensions.
    • Click install from VSIX
    How to uninstall
    • Go to the extension tab.
    • Click on the cogwheel next to the Debugger for Unity 3.0.1 under installed.
    • Choose to uninstall.
    Release notes
    ===3.0.1===

• Added support for logpoints.
    • Fixed several evaluation bugs
    • Added LINQ support in evaluation.

Minimum Requirements
    Supported on all Unity versions. For the best debugging experience with .NET 4.6 runtime we recommend using Unity 2018.1 and above.​

Source code repositories

2. SirIntruder

SirIntruder

I've installed this and logpoints are very cool :)
    I've noticed that editing logpoints during one session is ignored and opened an issue on github
    Deleting and adding new ones during the session seems to work correctly

3. cooptwostar

cooptwostar

Hello, just wondering if development on this extension is still active. 3.0.1 has been a good improvement, but the VsCode debugger is still quite unreliable and is would greatly benefit from additional development. At the very least, I think it would be a good idea to release version 3.0.1 on the extension marketplace so that the majority of VsCode users could benefit from the improvements, unless there have been some regressions that others have run into.

4. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

@cooptwostar yes this is still being worked on. However, only by me, so I only have the time I don't spend on my other tasks. So it is not going as fast or as smoothly as I would like. But I am still actively working on it.

cooptwostar likes this.
  5. successeven

successeven

hi! What about debug when multiple instances of Unity are open?

6. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

@successeven this should work. You can open the command pallette and use the command> "Unity Attach Debugger". That will open a list of open editors and players that you can choose to attach to.

7. greg-harding

greg-harding

@miniwolf_unity just to confirm, are we supposed to be able to debug using Mac VSCode attaching to an IL2CPP iOS build? The current v2.x and this new v3.0.1 connect and then a few seconds later disconnect. We can attach to the Editor and debug fine.

VSCode output;
    UnityDebug: Initializing
    UnityDebug: Searching for Unity process 'iOS Player'
    UnityDebug: Attached to Unity process 'iPhonePlayer(XXX-iPhone-5S):56000' (130992214)
    UnityDebug: Disconnected

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/vscode-unity-debug/issues/130

I also tried Visual Studio for Mac and got errors similar to issues like:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/vscode-unity-debug/issues/103 ("Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object").

We've updated / uninstalled / reinstalled stuff, checked firewalls, disabled cellular connections, etc. as suggested in a few of your posts and github issues.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019