Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Debugger Extension for Visual Studio Code 2.0.x Preview Release

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by miniwolf_unity, Apr 11, 2018.

1. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

A new version of the Unity Debugger Extension for Visual Studio Code is being released here for early testing and feedback. The debugger extension has been upgraded to the latest debugger libraries to provide a better debugging experience and try to address some of the issues found by users.

The main issue this new release addresses is support for the new .NET 4.x Mono runtime in Unity.

Please report any kind of feedback in this thread and help us track issues by reporting them on the GitHub repo: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/vscode-unity-debug/issues

Download
    If you need to download an earlier release please visit the GitHub page and download them from the release page. This link will be kept up-to date with the latest version at all times.

Installation

Warning: Installing this version will override your existing Unity Debugger extension.

The provided .vsix file can be manually installed from inside VS Code by following these instructions:
    • Open your workspace, in the extension tab in the left menu.
    • Here you can open settings on the three dots in the bar with the name Extensions.
    • Click install from VSIX
    How to uninstall
    • Go to the extension tab.
    • Click on the cogwheel next to the Debugger for Unity 2.0.0 under installed.
    • Choose to uninstall.
    Release notes
    ===2.6.6===

===2.5.0===
    ===2.4.2===
    ===2.3.0===
    ===2.2.0===
    ===2.1.0===
    ===2.0.0===
    • Updated debugger libraries to support .NET 4.6 runtime in Unity.
    • Fix issue with being able to detach from Unity, which would cause the Unity Editor to hang.
    • Various instabilities fixes, such as LINQ debugging for .NET 4.6 runtime, hovering variables, complex class debugging etc.
    Minimum Requirements
    All Unity versions. For the best debugging experience with .NET 4.6 runtime we recommend using Unity 2018.1 and above.​

Known issues and missing features
    • LINQ expressions are not validated from debugger-console or the watch list.
    Source code repositories

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  2. SirIntruder

SirIntruder

I will try it out later today and report if there are any problems, just wanted to say thank you, epic! :D

Also, do you plan to add support for log points which vscode introduced in march update? I may try my hand with it if you don't plan to work on it. I want to help with vscode's handling of unity projects, I am currently working on PR to omnisharp which should fix handling of new/renamed files

3. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

Awesome to hear that you are excited about this. :)

Log points can be really smart if you are debugging production code and want to introduce non-breaking info. However I am not sure if the mono debugger supports this feature?

4. CodeFighter

CodeFighter

Hi,
    thank you for update.
    When i try to put a breakpoint i get the error:

error while processing request 'setBreakpoints' (exception: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: [0, Mono.Debugging.Client.Breakpoint])

5. SirIntruder

SirIntruder

I tried it, looks like there is an exception CodeFighter mentioned every time I try to add more than one breakpoint. Only other thing I noticed is that hovering variables feels much more responsive than last time I remembered. Looking forward to next update :)

6. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

Can you give me some specifications of the setup you are using? I don't seem to be able to reproduce the problem you are having?
    Versions of VS code, unity, OS and so on?
    If you have a small Steps to Reproduce that could also be very helpful :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  7. CodeFighter

CodeFighter

@miniwolf thank you for reply.
    This happen after attaching debugger to Unity.

VS code -Version 1.22.1
    Unity 2018.1.0b13
    macOS 10.13.4

Attached Files:

miniwolf_unity likes this.
  8. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

9. CodeFighter

CodeFighter

It looks like i found the reason.
    I had list of old breakpoints from the previous version.
    That is why error said about key already added.
    I have deleted all breapoints and now it works fine.
    Thank you for keeping of working on VS code plugin we really appreciate it

10. CodeFighter

CodeFighter

Thank you it works fine!

I found another issue. It looks like some of LINQ requests still not working in the debug session.

upload_2018-4-12_15-34-36.png

11. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

I see. Maybe it is a missing feature in the mono debugger in general. @CodeFighter Does this work under Visual Studio for mac?

12. CodeFighter

CodeFighter

Yes it works in Visual Studio for mac and in Rider.

13. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

The problem has been replicated in both this extension and in Visual Studio for Mac. Rider works, however, they are having a significantly different backend to support these issues.
    There has been a issue filed to mono to get this issue resolved as fast as possible.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    CodeFighter likes this.
  14. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

New 2.1.0 release of the Debugger Extension is out. This version should make it possible to see strings longer than 100 characters. The way to do that is by evaluating the string in the debugger console or to add it to a watch field. This is a work around, due to how debugger extensions are done in VS Code, maybe a cleaner fix can be found going forward. However this makes sure that it is possible to see the string variable.
    As an after thought it is also possible to move the ellipsing of the string to 1000 characters if that would be of any use? Then the truncation would happen on much longer strings, but still not pollute the variables view. What do you think?

15. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

New 2.2.0 release of the Debugger Extension is out. This version is the first step to make it possible to modify variables at runtime. By right clicking on the variable and choosing the setVariable option.

Thanks all of you so far for the great feedback. Keep it coming so we can make this extension awesome.

FabioOwl, rakkarage and CodeFighter like this.
  16. andrzej_cadp

andrzej_cadp

Great job!

I have an issue with breakpoints. When I disable breakpoint which was caught earlier, debugger will still catch it every time it executes this line of code. It's completely random and I cannot reproduce it on demand, but it's a little bit annoying.

17. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

I have had the same experience at times. So I am trying to rewrite the breakpoint experience from scratch. I will poke you when I have a new build to solve this problem. :)

CodeFighter and andrzej_cadp like this.
  18. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

I have released 2.4.0 this should hopefully help with some of the issues with breakpoints. Tell me if this works for you @andrzej_cadp

CodeFighter likes this.
  19. SirIntruder

SirIntruder

just installed 2.4.0. Removing all breakpoints now cause error: "error while processing request 'setBreakpoints' (exception: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.)"

to clarify, problem happens every time I try to remove a breakpoint while debugger is attached

20. andrzej_cadp

andrzej_cadp

It works really well right now! It catches every breakpoint, and skip all removed BPs. Good work.

I found two more issues:
    1. If you put breakpoints before attaching debugger, they will be "grayed" and debugger will skip them during execution. Once you put another breakpoint or remove one of the "grayed" breakpoints, they become active.
    2. I found the way to freeze editor. Here is procedure to reproduce this issue:
    • Open project
    • Press play button
    • After few seconds press it again (turn off the game)
    • Go to vscode, then attach and detach debugger few times (press F5, then immediately Shift+F5, and repeat it 5-10 times)
    • Go to unity and press play button again
    • At this point editor is not responding to any command and I have to kill it

21. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

I have updated the link to 2.4.1 this should fix the regression problem with removing breakpoints @SirIntruder
    I could not reproduce the two problems you had @andrzej_cadp with this build. I will keep trying to get that freeze to occur. That might could be a problem going forward if it happens after a number of attaches and detaches.

22. SirIntruder

SirIntruder

23. LitchiSzu

LitchiSzu

Hi there,

Thank you for your work on the extension. VS Code is definitely my favorite editor to use, however I still often have to switch to Visual Studio when I want to be efficient at debugging because of a few issues. My apologies if this is not the place to mention these, and I imagine they may be bugs with Omnisharp more than with anything's Unity but:

- I sometimes have the debugger hang the game when I try to stepin a function (I ended up sometimes just going into the function code and putting a breakpoint there instead, to avoid the freeze : ( )
    - Can't watch member variable of collections elements (someArrayOfGameObject.name would not be possible to see even if I add a watch)
    - Can't watch static variables

I've tried the latest version you posted here and it is still present, unfortunately : ( - Couldn't check the stepin freeze as it's not a 100% reproduction rate so can't be sure!).

Do you know if it's something on Unity or Unity extension side ? Or on Omnisharp side ? Is it something we could expect to see fixed ? (If it's Omnisharp I might even try to have a go at it myself!)

Thanks,

Clem

24. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

- I am trying to find a reproducable project where the debugger hangs my game, but have yet to find something that I can solidly rely on to help remove the problem.
    - Currently I am working on trying to find the root of the problem with static variables. However it seems like there are some deeper problem in the `debugger-libs` that this extension is based on. I will be reporting this problem to the mono guys, who are in charge of working on this side of things. I still have a hanging issue with them, regarding a problem with LINQ expressions.
    - Member variables of collections elements, do you mean a custom collection, or are we talking something as simple as myListVariable.length?

25. rakkarage

rakkarage

has anyone tried putting launch into user settings?
    to keep folders clear of duplicate .vscode folders
    i think it used to work... but now it seems not to? works as file but not in settings?
    it might be a vscode insiders bug tho

thanks

2018-04-30.png

4 minues later...

2018-04-30 (1).png

Code (CSharp):
    1.     "launch": {
    2.         "version": "0.2.0",
    3.         "configurations": [
    4.             {
    5.                 "name": "Unity Editor",
    6.                 "type": "unity",
    7.                 "path": "${workspaceFolder}/Library/EditorInstance.json",
    8.                 "request": "launch"
    9.             },
    10.             {
    11.                 "name": "Windows Player",
    12.                 "type": "unity",
    13.                 "request": "launch"
    14.             },
    15.             {
    16.                 "name": "OSX Player",
    17.                 "type": "unity",
    18.                 "request": "launch"
    19.             },
    20.             {
    21.                 "name": "Linux Player",
    22.                 "type": "unity",
    23.                 "request": "launch"
    24.             },
    25.             {
    26.                 "name": "iOS Player",
    27.                 "type": "unity",
    28.                 "request": "launch"
    29.             },
    30.             {
    31.                 "name": "Android Player",
    32.                 "type": "unity",
    33.                 "request": "launch"
    34.             }
    35.         ],
    36.         "compounds": []
    37.     },

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  26. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

I have not tried doing this, I don't know if this newly added
    "path": "${workspaceFolder}"
    has some unforseen consequence for this behaviour?

27. LitchiSzu

LitchiSzu

Thank you for looking into all that!

I unfortunately can't help much with the "Step Into" hang as it doesn't feel like it happens on the same type of function or in the same apparent conditions, but if I get more information, I'll be sure to let you know!

About the collection things. It would be in this case for instance:

Code (CSharp):
    1. private SomeType[] m_SomeArray;
    3. public SomeType GetHighestPriorityElement()
    4. {
    5.         SomeType highestPriorityElement = null;
    6.         for(int i = 0; i < m_SomeArray.Length; i++)
    7.         {
    8.                 if(highestPriorityElement == null || m_SomeArray[i].Priority > highestPriorityElement)
    9.                 {
    10.                         highestPriorityElement = m_SomeArray[i];
    11.                 }
    12.         }
    14.         return highestPriorityElement;
    15. }
    If you try and watch m_SomeArray.Priority when breaking at any line inside the loop, it won't work.
    You can watch i, you can watch m_SomeArray (and find by yourself the element at index i), but you can't directly see the value of Priority inside the loop. While it's easy to see element in simple array like that "manually", it's much more annoying with List or more complex collections type.

28. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

I see this is only for visual studio code. ignore below

-What version of visual studio does this target. I'm on VS 2017 Community edition, but when I run the visx it states...-
    -"This extension is not installable on any currently installed products"-

-I've attached the install log-

Attached Files:

29. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

@PassivePicasso Yeah VS 2017 has Unity Debugger built-in to their solution. Therefore it doesn't require any of this :) Thanks for being interested though!

30. joethephish

joethephish

Hi there!

On macOS Sierra, Unity 5.6.3f1, VSCode 1.23.0, when I try to attach I get "Debug adaptor process has terminated unexpectedly" (this is v2.4.2 of the .vsix). Not sure if there's a log somewhere, so I can send you more info?

31. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

If the log of vscode does not reveal any information, try having a look in the extension folder `~/.vscode/extensions/unity-debug-versionxxx`

Another way is to open the developer console in the help section of visual studio code. There might be a stack trace or something that seems to call the attach.js code.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  32. joethephish

joethephish

Nothing in any log. And after opening the developer console, the stack trace doesn't look too useful either, but see what you think:

notificationsAlerts.ts:39 Debug adapter process has terminated unexpectedly
    e.onDidNotificationChange @ notificationsAlerts.ts:39
    (anonymous) @ notificationsAlerts.ts:28
    e.fire @ event.ts:140
    e.notify @ notifications.ts:127
    e.error @ notificationService.ts:61
    t.onServerExit @ rawDebugSession.ts:540
    (anonymous) @ rawDebugSession.ts:195
    e.fire @ event.ts:140
    (anonymous) @ debugAdapter.ts:273
    emitTwo @ events.js:106
    emit @ events.js:194
    __dirname.ChildProcess._handle.onexit @ internal/child_process.js:215

33. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

@joethephish no that is not helpful at all...
    So I am going to release a new build with halt on exception, which has refactored much of the code and the way it interacts with vscode extension libraries. So hopefully that will solve some issues, or I will need to give you a build that forces some more debug information out of the problem.

34. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

@LitchiSzu I have reported the problem to the correct repo. The expression sent to the debugger extension only contains ".Priority" instead of sending the whole "m_someArray[i ].Priority", which means that it cannot evaluate the expression.
    What I can see as a workaround for now, until this is resolved is to write "m_someArray[i ].Priority" in the watch list, as you also mention. This will get updated when i gets updated. But it should also work on hovering.

35. LitchiSzu

LitchiSzu

@miniwolf Thank you very much!
    I've actually tried again the update this morning (last time I was at home, now at the office ;)). And I'd like to say a big thank you because, it makes my life much easier : )

- Before that update, even adding an array element like that to the watch list wouldn't work, now it's ok.
    - Inline Debug Values is the best thing since slice bread too. And it didn't work before I updated.
    - Conditional Breakpoints working is great too!

Good job and thank you!

36. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

@LitchiSzu thank you soo much.
    It is awesome that I get to help all of you. I really appreciate all of your wonderful feedback.

andrzej_cadp likes this.
  37. Adrian

Adrian

38. CodeFighter

CodeFighter

39. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

40. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

CodeFighter likes this.
  41. AndyBlock

AndyBlock

@miniwolf I'm trying to use 2.5.0 with Unity 5.6.5, macOS 10.13.4 but like @joethephish I'm getting "Debug adapter process has terminated unexpectedly" when I try to attach. I already tried this process:

- uninstall extension
    - remove .vscode/extensions/Unity.unity-debug*
    - install 2.5.0

This has not helped. The log .vscode/extensions/Unity.unity-debug-2.5.0//bin/UnityDebug-log.txt doesn't seem to have anything of interest. I dunno if 2.5.0 was the version your mentioned that "has refactored much of the code and the way it interacts with vscode extension libraries"? Is there something else I can try or more info I can provide you with?

42. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

43. julian-moschuering

julian-moschuering

Hey,
    the debugger crashes alot due to a stack overflow in UnityDebugSession.Evaluate in the call to Frame.GetExpressionValue.
    I noticed it uses NRefactory which only supports C# 5.0. The code I'm debugging is using features from C# 7.2 (using the Incremental Compiler) and I guess this might be a problem. Debugging with VS is working perfectly.
    Any information on this?

44. julian-moschuering

julian-moschuering

The stack overflow actually is a bug in Mono.Debugging:
    NFactoryExpressionEvaluatorVisitor.VisitMemberReferenceExpression:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public ValueReference VisitMemberReferenceExpression(MemberReferenceExpression memberReferenceExpression)
    2.     {
    3.         if (memberReferenceExpression.TypeArguments.Count > 0)
    4.         {
    5.             return ResolveTypeValueReference(ctx, memberReferenceExpression);
    6.         }
    7.         ValueReference target = memberReferenceExpression.AcceptVisitor(this);
    8.         ValueReference member = target.GetChild(memberReferenceExpression.MemberName, ctx.Options);
    9.         if (member == null)
    10.         {
    11.             if (!(target is TypeValueReference) && ctx.Adapter.IsNull(ctx, target.Value))
    12.             {
    13.                 throw new EvaluatorException("{0} is null", target.Name);
    14.             }
    15.             throw ParseError("Unknown member: {0}", memberReferenceExpression.MemberName);
    16.         }
    17.         return member;
    18.     }
    ValueReference target = memberReferenceExpression.AcceptVisitor(this);
    Is a nearly direct call to itself. This is already replaced by
    var target = memberReferenceExpression.Target.AcceptVisitor<ValueReference> (this);
    in a current version of Mono.Debugger.dll.

Edit:
    Using the current libraries from https://github.com/mono/debugger-libs fixes the crash.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  45. talyh

talyh

I've had it twice now where Unity crashed while debugging (can't provide exact repro steps at this point) and the debugger tool removed the ability to add variables to the watch list. Last time I had to completely remove and reclone my project, which I rather not do again. Is there a config file with the debugger info that I can remove to reset the extension?

(just addtional info: I tried reinstalling the extension from the vsix on GitHub, and while it updated to the latest version, it didn't reset the extension)

46. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

@julian-moschuering
    The idea is to support the newest version of runtime and C# language features with this debugger. If something does not work we should address these issues.
    I have experienced NRefactory being a bad choice before, sadly not much I can do to change their choice, I can just complain at them. However if changes from mono/debugger-libs has fixed these problems I will get those updated.

47. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

@talyh If you are getting a Unity Editor crash I would recommend that you file a bug report to get the issue resolved. It is impossible to resolve the issue, just from knowing it is crash. When filing the bug report, we get information such as editor.log and so on, that can hopefully help us pinpoint the problem.
    Regarding your problem, of being unable to add variables to the watch list, I would be very interested in having some repro steps of that. So if you get a specific issue I can have a look at, please make a github issue about using the link in the description.
    The debugger extension doesn't have a state that it is storing anywhere, the %USERPROFILE%/.vscode/extensions/ is the only place where it store the extension, all files are located there. But there is no "reset extension", as far as I know. You can uninstall the extension and install it again.
    Also, I have seen issues with people upgrading their extension that overriding doesn't go that smoothly. I always go to the .vscode/extensions folder and delete the debugger folder for the unity debugger, to make sure nothing is left when uninstalling.

48. talyh

talyh

@miniwolf_unity - thanks for the explanation.

For the UnityEditor crash, is not that unusual that it'll crash for me (or my colleagues, for that matter). Last time I opened a bug for me with consistent repro steps even, the answer I got was that it was something specific to Unity on Mac and not a priority to fix, which is why I didn't bother continuously sending crash logs.

For the extensions, the only common thread I have for now is a crash, variables in the inspector at the time, not being able to watch variables again (+ button / right click >> Add are disabled).
    Luckily or unluckily it hasn't happened that many times that I can narrow down repro steps, which is why I didn't see the point in filing an issue on github.
    I have a "feeling" that on both occasions the crash happened while I was expanding a variable in the list and the debugger was working on showing the extended data. Since there's a known issue with LINQ and I use it fairly often, that could be part of the problem (last time I was for sure in a scope with a LINQ call that wasn't working 100% of the time, but I don't THINK I had a breakpoint in that line).
    If it's still helpful to log an issue with this little information, I'll be happy to do so.

49. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

@talyh I think that is really unfortunate that a consistent crash with repro steps gets discarded like that, could I maybe have a link to the issue, if you still have it? If you and your colleagues are having this problem still I would like to help push for that. If we want people to help us make our engine more stable we should be ready to accept the hard work that is involved with solving these issues. Otherwise we may not know how stable, or unstable, our product really is, because people will not report their problems. I really value all the feedback that you guys have given me here, it has highlighted multiple problems with the Visual Studio Code debugger.

If you would, I would be happy if you added a bug report on GitHub, with any information you can give me. Logs, c# runtime version and so on. I would be happy to help you pinpoint the problem.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    andrzej_cadp likes this.
  50. talyh

talyh

@miniwolf_unity - thanks, I appreciate it!

I don't have a link to that issue anymore, but it's still happening (up to 2017.3.1f1, at least).
    I can open it again if you'd like (it has to with Unity not handling an improper getter, where by accident you may have indicate given the same name to the getter and a variable you're trying to return like bool
    _myBool { get { return _myBool; }}

On a more current note, Unity just crashed on me again, this time with a breakpoint on a delegate call. I wrote a report this time. Tried to send it, and the Unity Bug Reporter showed as stuck in the "Packing the report" stage, so maybe it was sent, but I would not expect it to have made it through.

As for the extension, I've logged https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/vscode-unity-debug/issues/91, with what I do know, even if it's not enough for reproduction.