Search Unity

Unity Dashboard does not let me install iOS builds

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by ash4096, May 13, 2020.

1. ash4096

ash4096

I see a Detect Device message and when I click it it reloads the same page instead of downloading the profile.

It used to work with the Old UI.

Thanks,
    Ash

2. victorw

victorw

We have replicated this and are urgently investigating.

3. victorw

victorw

As a workaround it looks like this still works if you use a share link. Just generate a share link and open the link in a new window and you should be able to get a working install.

4. ash4096

ash4096

Thanks Victor.

I tried the Share Link on the iPad using Safari. It shows a message Creating Share Link which disappears in a second and I don't see the created shared link.

I did notice that the Build History screen had dimmed to light grey but could not see the link generated. Any other workarounds?

Thanks,
    Ash

5. victorw

victorw

That's pretty strange, it should show a popup which gives you the share link. That said you can still retrieve the share link by selecting the build you are interested in and looking for the link in the bottom right of the build details panel. I had a quick look at your projects and I think I was able to find the one you are working on - and there was a share link available on one of your recent iOS builds.

6. ash4096

ash4096

Thanks Victor. That worked. Got it from the build details panel.

7. ash4096

ash4096

Hi Victor,

The share link stopped working now and I am see the Detect Device message. Clicking on it reloads the page.

I checked my iOS settings -> General -> Profiles and the Unity profile which was installed earlier is not there. I am on iOS 13.4.1 on an iPad Pro 12.9 (2 Gen).

The previous Cloud build site was working fine yesterday morning before the redirect went into effect.

Thanks,
    Ash

8. victorw

victorw

Share links definitely should still be working and I've seen reports from people saying that they're still able to workaround the issue by using share links. We're currently working on getting all the iOS links working properly and I've asked a QA to verify that share links are still working.

9. victorw

victorw

We have a fix for this now, currently working to test and release it ASAP.

10. ash4096

ash4096

Thanks Victor.
    Will wait for the fix and then test.

11. victorw

victorw

The fix has been released, let me know if you're still encountering issues.

12. ash4096

ash4096

Thanks Victor. Here is what's happening now...

Refreshing the dashboard page, it still does not let me download the profile after clicking on Detect profile.

So, I cleared the Safari website data and it told be to go to settings to install the profile. Clicking on the Install Profile button and then on the install button again, opens up the dashboard page - this time without the detect device message. Clicking on the Install link for the build does NOT popup the iOS message box - Do you want to install this app.

I checked the profile and it seemed to be signed by *.cloud.unity.com and the new developer dashboard is dashboard.unity.com. Is it a certificate problem?

Regards,
    Ash

13. victorw

victorw

Argh yeah I think you're right, we're looking at fixing that issue now.

14. victorw

victorw

Does installing from a share link work currently? I think that should be working now.

15. ash4096

ash4096

Yes :) Looks url to the share path is developer.cloud.unity.com which works.

16. VrischDev

VrischDev

Hi. Since today i have the same problem. Landing on the Detect Device Page. When pressing the button a message pops up: "We need to detect your iOS UDID before you can install apps".
    Pressing OK simply reloads the page. Do you can tell when this will be fixed?

17. OsmoIan

OsmoIan

@victorw still having this issue as well. Pressing the Detect Device just refreshes the page over and over. Definitely not fixed

18. victorw

victorw

I addressed this in another thread, so far it seems that everyone who has encountered this was able to resolve it by deleting their cookies (via Settings -> Safari -> Advanced -> Website data -> search & delete unity3d.com)

19. nbaris

nbaris

We were having the same Detect Device issue and now this worked for us too. Would be nice if this kind of thing is added to an error message on that page

20. victorw

victorw

We do have some work in progress to improve the functionality of device detection, unfortunately it's a very complex system (thanks, Apple!). This breakage requiring a cookie deletion should never happen again though and was just an unfortunate issue introduced by switching over to the structure of the new dashboard.

21. imaginethepoet

imaginethepoet

Im having this same issue I've tried the shared link, and the download link - i just get in a profile loop on my iphone X - when i install the cert - it directs me back to the dashboard - develop after logging into unty. then I'm stuck no install happening.

22. victorw

victorw

Have you tried deleting your cookies? (via Settings -> Safari -> Advanced -> Website data -> search & delete unity3d.com)

23. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

We are experiencing the same issue. When trying to install the iOS profile but when clicking install we are redirected to the Unity Dashboard and then nothing happens. We tried clearing cookies, but without avail. We have experienced this on both old and newer iPads.

EDIT:
    We seem to have found the culprit. We are using the Slack Unity Cloud build integration and if you open the link from Slack the button will say "Detect Device". But if you copy the link and paste it into safari, it will say "Install".

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  24. victorw

victorw

Yeah unfortunately Slack defaults to using an in-app browser which has a limited feature set, iOS device installs are not the only thing broken by that setup (for a very long time you couldn't even use Twitter with those browsers!)

25. dri_richard

dri_richard

Shouldn't notifications from the Slack integration include some kind of warning that clicking on the link won't work? Or instructions on what to do?

26. victorw

victorw

Slack notifications have to be pretty short, I don't think we could do much there without introducing issues. There's a ticket in the backlog for trying to detect the slack in-app browser and warn users but I'm not sure if it's actually possible to detect since I believe it uses userAgent spoofing. I'll try to bump up the priority on that investigation though.

27. dri_richard

dri_richard

Would it be possible for the URLs in slack notifications to include a query param that causes the rendered page to include a warning?

28. victorw

victorw

Yeah that's probably the most practical approach though it would result in unnecessary warnings for users who have already disabled the in-app browser. Also I haven't looked for a while but I believe that you can still use those pages just fine as long as you have previously completed device detection in a regular browser?

29. dri_richard

dri_richard

I see in the release notes (UCB-2507) that there's now a warning for share links manually shared on Slack, but it doesn't seem to apply to links generated through through the integration. Is there a reason for that omission?

The warning text doesn't feel very strong either. It says (after some other text) "In order to detect your device, you need to be using Mobile Safari without private Mode." I imagine that if people read that far, their first thought will be 'I'm not in private mode, I'm ok" rather than "Oh, I'm in an embedded web browser". Some recipients aren't technical enough to distinguish between the two.

30. daveyng

daveyng

The cert for cloud builds has expired

Attached Files: