Search Unity

Unity Dashboard Crashes and Exceptions - Clear All

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by rodeowild, Jun 26, 2019.

1. rodeowild

rodeowild

So firstly Unity analytics is a great tool and you should make use of it.

I have a major complaint/question:

who thought this was a good idea:

upload_2019-6-26_10-24-16.png

This is the UI for crashes and exceptions. You can see that they have a very useful filtering system with all sorts of fields to filter by. Handily, if you would like to clear all your filters, there is a clear all button at the bottom right corner, that after a small warning will clear your filters and allow you to start fresh.

WRONG. Haha! if you press clear all you will delete all of your data for the past 90 days.

... why unity, why?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I might ask, where does it state that CLEAR ALL is for clearing filters? It looks like to me the filter UI has the x in the filter itself to clear the filter, and CLEAR ALL button is associated with the bottom list. It behaves as I would assume. And the "small warning" is not small at all, in bold text, etc. and says
    "Clear all crashes and exceptions
    This will clear the last 90 days of the crashes and exceptions for this project. Your tags won’t be removed. This cannot be undone."

3. rodeowild

rodeowild

It is implied by the grouping of buttons:

upload_2019-6-26_18-21-24.png

To see the relevance of the divider you have to look all the way to the other side of the screen. The innocuous coloring of the clear all button does not indicate that anything would be amiss. There is a warning but it is possible to just press enter, and it is likely to do so, again due the unassuming nature of the offending button. I would like to add that unity is always very helpful and this glitch is an exception rather than a rule, but this is an egregious UI fail. As a counterexample, I point you to github, which puts its "delete repository" button in the danger zone and makes you type in your password before finalizing the decision.

4. dej4n-gd

dej4n-gd

I just accidentally deleted crashes for my project. I was under impression that I was clearing the filter. I didn't even noticed the warning as I was clicking fast and a bit on auto-pilot. Arguing that this is a perfect place for this button, despite the feedback, is not nice. Please, move it to the "Settings / General" section.

sniffle63 likes this.
  5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Understood, I am passing along your feedback to the team here.

6. dej4n-gd

dej4n-gd

Many thanks for the quick response.