Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Cutscene Creator / Camera Path - uSequencer [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WellFiredDevelopment, Jun 19, 2012.

1. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Apologies about not posting a warning, I'll be sure to post warnings here asap, next time :)

- Terry

2. hlx

hlx

Hi Terry,

I am planning to purchase uSequencer and uRecoder but I would like to have your feedback about two points :

1- uRecorder :

a/ is there a way to create other file format for recorded images, as instance .TGA. Also, could it be possible to manage the options for compression, alpha channels,...?

b/ is it possible to change the name of the output rendered files (naming convention, numbering,...). If not, could it be planned ?

2- uSequencer :

I tried to install the trial version (using the Wellfired upgrade window) but it fails, the console warning message says : "

TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'WellFired.USObserverKeyframe' from assembly 'usequencerRuntime, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespace (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.GlobalRootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.LoadReferences () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The following assembly referenced from W:\Unity\Viking\Assets\WellFired\usequencer\Compiled\Runtime\usequencerRuntime.dll could not be loaded:
    Assembly: sharedRuntime (assemblyref_index=3)
    Version: 0.0.0.0
    Public Key: (none)
    The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (W:\Unity\Viking\Assets\WellFired\usequencer\Compiled\Runtime\).

Could not load file or assembly 'sharedRuntime, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
    Could not load file or assembly 'sharedRuntime, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
    The class WellFired.USObserverKeyframe could not be loaded, used in usequencerRuntime, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    The class SnapShotEntry could not be loaded, used in usequencerRuntime, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

However, I wish you a merry christmas...

Regards,

hlx

3. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hiya hlx!

Sorry about the delay, it was the christmas period, hope you had a good one :)

1) uRecord:
    a. You can create both JPG and PNG at the moment, I've not looked into TGA but I should imagine it wouldn't be impossible to implement
    b. You can control compression quality, please check out the free version for a sample :)

2) uSequencer:
    Are you using Unity 5.3.x with the trail version?

- Terry

4. hlx

hlx

Hi Terry,

Santa Claus went with some gifts and promises like purchasing uRecord soon,...Cool, isn't it ?

1) Glad to hear that the TGA format could be supported. This kind of file format is still used nowadays for video authoring.

2) Yes, I am using Unity 5.3.0f4 (personnal edition) with the trial version.

I stay tuned,...

hlx

5. gecko

gecko

I have a recurring problem where legacy animations that are triggered in my Sequence often get stuck at various points in their own animation timelines. I have to go into each one, copy the transform at the first frame, and paste that into the object's transform. Very annoying, so I must be doing something wrong. I try scrubbing the sequence back to the first frame, but that does not reliably reset the animations to their first frames. Is there a better way to handle this?

6. hlx

hlx

Hi Terry,

Happy new year !

Do you have some news about the trial version setup issue with Unity 5.3 ? Did you reproduce it ? Do you plan a fix ?

hlx

7. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey gecko,

This is a big ask, but would it be possible for you to send me a reproducible Unity project at support@wellfired.com

- Terry

8. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hiya HLX,

We just build out 5.3 trial and will be uploading today, :)

- Terry

9. hlx

hlx

Hi Terry,

Ok. Is the new trial version already available ? What should be the right version number ?

Hlx

10. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hi,

I'm really interested by uSequencer but I'm not sure if it can fits in my project. All my game characters are Spine animations (http://fr.esotericsoftware.com/) controlled by code. I would like to be able to play a specific animation or change a skin etc. via uSequencer. Would it be possible to write a script in order to make spine animation compatible with uSequence ?

11. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey,

The update is now live on wellfired.com, each package has a new version selection page.

- Terry

12. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello kiupe!

It would be possible! I've done it locally for other customers as tests, feel free to download the trial and have a bash.

You have a couple of options.

1) Use Spine as animations, then use an animation timeline :) (no code required)
    2) Write custom events to play animations. (http://www.wellfired.com/technicaldocumentation/usequencer/html/index.html#custom_events) (little code required)
    3) Write custom timelines with complete control over animations. (http://www.wellfired.com/technicaldocumentation/usequencer/html/index.html#custom_timelines) (lots of code required)

- Terry

13. Kiupe

Kiupe

Thanks,

I'm going to take a loot at custom events as I want to control my Spine animation by code and not using Spine baked animations.

14. hlx

hlx

Thanks a lot Terry.

15. EDarkness

EDarkness

Finally decided to really try to figure out how to get this to work. The first problem I have is that I don't have a camera named "Main Camera" in the scene. Each scene has it's own cutscene camera that handles that job since I don't want the actual Main Camera to do anything like this. So how can I change the camera for the Observer to my camera? It won't start unless this camera is chosen. On top of that, the Cutscene Camera needs to be turned on when the sequence starts. Do I need to do this manually?

Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks.

16. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi Garv - I believe Terry travels a lot. In case he's unavailable, I thought I'd chime in. Terry wrote a short "how-to" on late binding, which is used to assign objects at runtime. (The Dialogue System's uSeq() command uses this extensively.). The "how-to" is here: http://wellfired.blogspot.com/2012/11/late-binding-for-runtime-animating-its.html

You should be able to bind it and then use an event at the beginning of the sequence to turn it on.

17. EDarkness

EDarkness

Thanks for the heads up, Tony. I'll have to mess around with it today to see if I can get it working like I want it. I really think the system should not assume that there is a main camera. Probably too late to change it, but I think it's lacking flexibility in this area.

18. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hiya EDarkness,

We don't assume there is a main camera, but what you need to do is ensure the first keyframe in the observer timeline is the camera that you'd like to use for the duration of your cutscene. This can be any camera that you can select from the drop down box. Simply create a keyframe and set it's time to 0.0f. The words that say "Main Camera : " is simply an indicator as to which camera is currently turned on by the observer timeline :)

- Terry

19. EDarkness

EDarkness

Hey Terry. I did try what you mentioned, but was unable to figure out how to set the camera. I ended up just using the camera as an object and that seemed to work. There is a warning when a new sequence is created that says there's no Main Camera. I'll mess around with it some more today.

20. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Let me know if you have any problems :)

21. Cygon4

Cygon4

I just upgraded uSequencer to the latest version (after holding out for a while) and you seem to have introduced a VersionInformationUtilities.GetVersionInformationForProduct() method that does some acrobatics looking for an .Anchor file, parsing a Version.txt and making assumptions where I install uSequencer.

I try to keep my Unity Assets directory small (at least on the root level) by moving all third party libraries I use into a single subdirectory:

dir-layout.png

It looks like uSequencer can't handle this anymore. Also, all .dlls have their version number set to 0.0.0.0.

I suppose the version.txt was made to allow for easy updating, but couldn't you instead just have your (probably) automated build update the .dll's version number (by generating an AssemblyInfo.cs) and read that through a simple lookup (typeof(RandomUsequencerType).Assembly.GetName().Version)? Would show what version the uSequencer .dlls are right away in Windows Explorer :)

22. hoesterey

hoesterey

Heya,
    I'm trying to update USequencer from a very old version and running into some issues.

I updated all the events to the new namespace and got rid of all the build errors but when selecting a sequence (even a new one) I get the error: USWindow.OnGUI.

It goes directly into the DLL so sadly I can't trace it back farther. I'm using 5.2.1p2

Also as a side is it possible to upgrade from standard to pro(with source)?

Thanks.

23. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Hoesterey!

It's totally possible to upgrade from DLL version to source version, but you'll need to run an upgrade script. I'll provide this to you! :)

About the error you receive, is there a callstack shown in the error?

- Terry

24. hoesterey

hoesterey

Saddly I've backed out the upgrade so I could continue working. The call stack was a single line that referenced the .dll.

Once we work out how to upgrade to source, I'll go though the process and send you the error. My guess is the error if its still present will be more useful once we can inside the black box of the dll. I noticed you don't have an "upgrade pricing" option on the assets store for customers moving from standard to source. Do you offer one?

Thanks!

25. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey hoesterey,

I shouldn't talk about this because we haven't finalised anything yet.... But....
    We'll (most likely) be offering an upgrade option from uSequencer 1.0 -> uSequencer 2.0 (non source). We intend to upgrade the source version of 1.0 to 2.0 without any additional cost. Note, this may change in the future, but its our current plan. :)

If you end up purchasing the source version, please send me an email at support@wellfired.com and I'll fire you over the upgrade script with the needed steps :D

Note : We're also in the middle of open sourcing our UI framework (on github), so everyone can take advantages of the nice new features within uSequencer UI framework without using uSequencer. (Easily building Unit testable Editor Extensions, more controls (and easier to extend) than Unity's build in system).

- Terry

26. Cygon4

Cygon4

Should uSequencer work with the Unity 5.4 Beta?

I'm using uSequencer 1.5.1.1 in Unity 5.4 b15 and all my sequences fail to play because after entering play mode, the tracks show "The Affected Object is not in your scene."

Having certain objects in the timeline when I enter play mode even causes a complete hang.

I'd suspect the multi scene editing feature to be responsible, but unless I'm mistaken that was already added in Unity 5.3. Is this a known issue or should I try to prepare a small reproduction case?

27. hopeful

hopeful

@Cygon4 - I'm not using the beta, but I've read that Unity made some changes to how transforms are handled in the editor, and that is affecting other cutscene plugins.

28. Oriam

Oriam

Hi Terry, I hope you are doing fine.

I am having compatibility problems when targeting Windows Store Apps 8.1. I have found that uSequencer can not animate the alpha component of an NGUI object in WSA. This happens only on the actual device, not on the editor.

I am using uSequencer 1.5.1.1, NGUI 3.9.8 and Unity 5.3.2. All the animations play fine in Android / WebPlayer / Windows standalone / WebGL. The only problem is in WSA 8.1

I do not know if this is an issue with uSequencer or with NGUI but I hope you can help me with this problem.
    Thanks in advance.
    Oriam

29. toto2003

toto2003

performance.jpeg hello terry,
    i ve been using usequencer heavyly, and start to do some optimisation, i notice usequencer take some ms on the profiler as you see below , i have several sequence playing during the game, is there a way to close all sequence at once? i try to stop some sequences but they re still active on the profiler.

thanks

30. castor76

castor76

Hi. I need to know if uSequencer works in AOT platforms so there are no JIT compile errors. (such as IOS and other consoles)

This means no usage of Linq stuff etc..

Can anyone confirm?

31. EDarkness

EDarkness

I have a question about loading in or using models that aren't in the scene during creation. How does this work? Most of my cutscenes are done in a scene and stored there, but the models (NPCs) aren't there. What would be the best way to handle this?

*EDIT* I just realized that I can use late binding. I don't know why I completely forgot about that, but I did. I'll give it a try in the next few days to see how well it will work.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  32. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Any update for unity 5.3.6?

33. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey @3d_Artist 1987 Did you get any new bugs with 5.3.6? Let me know what you found and I'll look into them of course! :D

Regards,
    Terry

34. CathWellFired

CathWellFired

Hey Guys,
    If you haven't managed to fix the problems you are experiencing, feel free to inbox me cath@wellfired.com with a detailed description of the problems and I will try to get it sorted for you,
    Regards, Cath.

35. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,
    Any update for 2017.3?
    It shows so many errors.

radiantboy likes this.
  36. radiantboy

radiantboy

Yes I have 50 or so compile errors since moving to 2017.3.1f1. Wish I had not upgraded now, but it will give me a chance to focus on other things I guess. Praying for a fix asap though!... .

37. radiantboy

radiantboy

We got some below :) Also sent you an email via form on your site. Try in latest unity, quite a few strange ones.

38. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone!

It was a hard decision for us to take, but after six years of on going development uSequencer wasn't really hitting our internal goals, and so we've decided to discontinue the product. If you've bought uSequencer in the past and still rely on it, you can find the source code available here : https://github.com/WellFiredDevelopment/WellFired.Direct

Regards,
    Terry

schmosef and hopeful like this.
  39. castor76

castor76

WIth new Unity timeline etc.. I can understand this decision. Best of luck to your future development. We used uSequencer for Subterrain and it was a good plugin at the time. Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    hopeful likes this.
  40. radiantboy

radiantboy

Ahhh sorry to hear this :( I've wasted a lot of time in that case. Good luck for the future.