Search Unity

Unity Cutscene Creator / Camera Path - uSequencer [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WellFiredDevelopment, Jun 19, 2012.

1. movra

movra

Imported uSequencer 1.4 into a new empty Unity 5.1.2 project on Windows 7 x64. Here's my experience.
    • Package Installer is automatically launched. I choose to update all indicated updates.
    • The installation finishes with a couple of errors and warnings:
    • I take notice of the message that I may need to restart Unity for the changes to stick.
    • After restarting Unity I create a new sequence. First I open the uSequencer window which throws "GUI Window tries to begin rendering while something else has not finished rendering! Either you have a recursive OnGUI rendering, or previous OnGUI did not clean up properly."
    • I drag the Main Camera into the sequence. I rightclick and add a Event Timeline. I add a Debug Message event. In the inspector I set the message to "Hello World".
    • I add a Auto Play uSequence prefab, hook it up to the sequence and save the scene to "test.unity".
    • I start scene playback. The uSequencer window becomes empty with a large message "Select a Sequence..." When I want to edit the sequence so I stop playback, but the window stays empty and I have to reselect the sequence and expand the nodes that were open before... That's rather cumbersome. It appears that that always happens whenever the Sequence GameObject is not selected at the moment of starting scene playback. Since I edited the Debug Message event last, the USMessageEvent was selected.
    • What's more annoying is that objects on the timeline do not react to the left mouse button anymore. I have to restart Unity to restore normal behavior. That is a showstopper.
    • Aside from those problems several examples are broken even though there seems to be an elobarate update system in place. Why not just check and update the examples instead of relying on that system?
    uSequencer has been sitting pretty in my account since november 2013 but unfortunately I've never been able to use it. Whenever I tried it, it was running slow and unstable. Last weekend I was in a gamejam and decided for the first time in months to try uSequencer again. It broke my project because of the incompatibility with HipFilters. Today I'm trying to use uSequencer again with the fix released just after the gamejam deadline. I don't understand how other users are coping with this asset and rating it so high, maybe I just have back luck or a special version created just to annoy me?

2. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Movra!

Sorry to hear about your hard time, it seems like uSequencer isn't really working out for you at all and I'm very sad to hear this!

1) Yes, please disregard those errors during installation, they happen only for windows and it's an internal Unity error that I can't resolve for the time being :) Sorry about that.

2) You are right, that the uSequencer window resetting on play mode change is rather annoying, but we've got a fix for this for a future version of uSequencer! Hoping to get it out soon! Note however that you shouldn't need to go into play mode to test your results, only when you're finished making your sequence. Which should reduce this annoyance somewhat! :)

3) The issue with clicking objects not responding anymore, is that a 100% reproducible bug? I cannot seem to reproduce it locally in Windows or OSX, I'd love to resolve this for you, so if you could fire me over the steps you take to make the bug occur, I can investigate further! :)

I understand the frustration you have when a tool you want to use doesn't work as intended, I'm very sorry to hear about your bad experiences, did you eventually manage to use uSequencer?

- Terry

3. movra

movra

It always happens for me. I asked about the errors during installation because maybe that could explain something.

Here are the steps to reproduce:

- create a new Unity project
    - install uSequencer
    - restart Unity
    - open uSequencer window
    - drag the existing Direction Light into the uSequencer window
    - right-click on Direction Light, add an Event Timeline or a Property Timeline
    - add a Debug Log Message event and/or animate the intensity property; I can select and move them
    - save scene
    - play scene

The uSequencer window will reset. When I select the Sequence object I can't select the Debug Message and I can't edit the property keys until I restart Unity. So far it looks like I can do everything in the uSequencer window except select and move.

4. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hi!

We have a fix! Please email us with your receipt at support@wellfired.com and I'll fire you over the new version! :D

- Terry

movra likes this.
  5. sprawww

sprawww

Hey, I'm having insane difficulties using the Animation Timeline(Beta), hopefully you are able to help me out here. I'm using the newest public version from the Unity asset store with Unity 5.1.1.f1

- My biggest issue is that while I hit the uSequencer play button, the actor plays mecanim states/animations exactly as I would expect them to. However, once I start the actual game, through the Unity play button, the animations randomly get played 2 times or more often. I.e I have an animation where the actor turns 180° degrees, it works perfectly with the uSequencer play button, but in the actual game he turns 360° or even something weirder like 400°.

- In the animation timeline, sometimes I am not able to move the states around. Unity doesn't freeze, everything else works. A Unity restart fixes this. This is very annoying and frustrating when I just want to change a little thing. I have to restart Unity every few minutes when working on a sequence.

- Sometimes, especially after playing the game, when I return to the uSequencer editor and click on an actor, Unity just straight up freezes. I have to kill the process and start up Unity again.

While issue 2 & 3 are extremely irritating and have slowed down my working pace to a crawl, issue 1 is just game breaking and renders uSequencer useless to me. Have others experienced the same kind of issues or am I doing something wrong?

6. radiantboy

radiantboy

made on usequencer :)

hopeful likes this.
  7. gecko

gecko

I'm using 1.4 in a new project, and having an odd problem: sometimes after playing the scene, the timeline becomes locked and I can't edit anything. I can't drag events, and even clicking on an event does not display that event's inspector. See screenshot. Presumably this is something really obvious, but I sure can't figure it out. I have to quit and restart Unity to reset it.

Attached Files:

8. gecko

gecko

Also, the new Stop and Play scripts to attach to uGUI buttons are great to have. I've set up a Pause button and a Play button. The Pause button works fine with the PauseSequenceButton.cs attached to it, but the Play button, with PlaySequence.cs attached to it, doesn't do anything. What's the trick to make these work together?

9. gecko

gecko

And also, I've got a Play Audio action, and the audio continues to play during a camera dissolve--but there's some audio distortion during the dissolve, and this error in the console:

/Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/sound/SoundChannel.cpp(374) : Error executing result (An invalid seek position was passed to this function. )
    UnityEngine.AudioSource:play()
    WellFired.USPlayAudioEvent:processEvent(Single) (at Assets/WellFired/usequencer/Uncompiled/Runtime/Sequencer Events/Audio/USPlayAudioEvent.cs:65)
    WellFired.USTimelineEvent:FireEventCommon(USEventBase, Single, Single, Single)
    WellFired.USTimelineEvent:process(Single, Single)
    WellFired.USTimelineContainer:processTimelines(Single, Single)
    WellFired.USSequencer:UpdateSequencer(Single)
    WellFired.<UpdateSequencerCoroutine>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()

10. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello!

Sorry about the delay! I somehow stop getting these notifications periodically! :(

- Am I right in assuming you're using root motion? (I'd love to help you resolve this, since it will improve the animation timelines. I wonder if you notice any patterns in the odd rotation?)

- This is resolved in the next version (bug fix version, email me if you'd like the pre release).

- Same as point 2! :)

- Terry

11. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Gecko!

This blog post should sort you out! it is actually the same process for skip, pause, and play! :D http://www.wellfired.com/blog/usequencer-and-unity-ui-integration/

As for your issue with audio, there should be a little checkbox on the play audio event to state if the clip will continue to play or not at the end. By default it's set to stop playing. (Which version of Unity are you using, maybe it's a bug in a specific version).

- Terry

12. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

SOOOOO good! :D Shared and shared again! :D

- Terry

13. gecko

gecko

Yeah, as I said, the Pause button works fine with that script attached. However, once the sequence is paused, the Play button does not do anything. How do I unpause the sequence?

I'm using Unity 5.1.1, and I don't see a checkbox like that. Attached is a screenshot.

thanks
    Dave

Attached Files:

14. sprawww

sprawww

I sent you an E-Mail since it's quite a bit of information. Didn't feel like flooding the forums :)

15. radiantboy

radiantboy

I have moving NPCs, when I try to have a camera pan around them the local position is kept, ie what position they start in, it does not move with them.. Im trying to have a camera pan around and look at an NPC as it moves (logic is powered by Adventure Creator) is this possible ? Been expanding my "intro" mode a lot, but this would be mega, thanks!

16. DragonSix

DragonSix

I have an issue: I do a sequence with Mecanim animated characters in it, the sequence itself runs fine, but once the sequence is over, the characters animations are completely freezed and my script cannot regain control of it. Is there any way to unfreeze the animations?
    I found the solution, somehow the Animator on the actor is disabled (probably a thing uSequencer does automatically) All I have to do is re-enable animator after the cutscene to of course regain control.

Also, is there a way to make keyed rotation automatically move to the shortest path? Rather than oftenly doing awkward 360°?

I have this issue too, it's indeed a showstopper and it needs an update ASAP.

Edit: oh, and why is the k hotkey not working?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  17. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hiya Radiant boy!

If it's possible, you could use the object path timelines, these allow you to have look at target support! :)

Note that there is also a look at target event with ease in and ease out curves!

- Terry

18. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey! We've a fix for the uI not responding bug and it's been submitted, if you'd like a new version immediately, fire use an email with your receipt to support@wellfired.com

- Terry

19. DragonSix

DragonSix

Thanks!

What about my other question?
    I haven't found a solution to this, maybe I'm missing an obvious option? Nothing on the documentation seems to answer that.

20. radiantboy

radiantboy

This wont work though, I want to use an object path timeline within an object which is already being moved by some other scripts, I already gave up trying but it would be amazing.

21. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey radiantboy!

Did you try the look at event?

22. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey DragonSix!

What kinda rotation is going 'the long route' is it when starting the sequence or during the sequence?

- Terry

23. DragonSix

DragonSix

During the sequence, localRotation, but I believe it happens with non-local too.

When it happens, it happens when I create a new keyframe inbetween two existing keyframes.
    It really limits how much I can edit any existing sequence and messes it up badly.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  24. TonyT

TonyT

Hi

I have a little question about "audio source". What is the best way to play an audio source at a given time. I don't want to play clip as I have made a few adjustments to the sound via the audio source component.

Tried to just switch (using timeline->event->object.component) the audio source component on (starts as off) but then scrubbing doesn't work.

Thanks

Tony

25. atmuc

atmuc

how can i set a string property of a component?

Edit :
    is it compatible with spine? when i play sequence in sequence editor window it plays other animations except spine animations.

i added Animation Timeline (beta) and base layer. i added some states. sometimes i cannot select those states and moves them.when i close and reopen unity i can select and move them.
    i use unity 5.1.3p2

usequencer disables Animator component on my game object. how can i prevent this?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  26. sprawww

sprawww

Haven't heard back from support in almost 2 weeks, extremely frustrating :(

27. TonyT

TonyT

yep it has gone all quiet!

28. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Sorry guys!

Actually, I wasn't getting notification here! I definitely didn't mean to not respond! Always email me at support@wellfired.com if you don't hear on the forum! Sometimes the notifications keep coming! And sometimes the emails go directly to my junk mail, so I don't see them for a week or two! Sorry!

- Terry

29. sprawww

sprawww

While I'm happy to receive a sign of life, I must admit that I'm disappointed at the same time. As a customer with a sitting project, waiting for a fix of your asset, I have been checking this thread every 1-2 days religiously. I would assume it's in the interest of a developer to do so even more frequently. Especially when they already mentioned having troubles receiving the notifications in the past.

I also sent you 2 E-Mails weeks ago. 1 was actually a reply and went to your personal E-Mail Address, the other went to support@wellfired.com

Days ago I was considering the purchase of a different asset and to redo all the already made sequences, which would be tons of additional work. At this point, I'm still not sure what to do honestly. Are you able to get back to me regarding my issue? It's been a month since I last got a reply to my Email.

30. Solhart

Solhart

Hello~

Is it possible to animate camera from google cardboard by using this plugin?

Thank you~

31. TonyT

TonyT

Hi Terry

You might have a problem with your email system. I also posted to support a few weeks ago.

Regards

Tony

32. atmuc

atmuc

Terry, You are here and still did not answered questions :)

33. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Sprawwww! If you wrote us an email, I can guarantee we're looking into the issue, let me know which issue you emailed me about and I'll track it down! :)

- Terry

34. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey!

It's funny that you should ask this! With uSequencer 2.0 We're creating a Spine timeline! If you'd like, I can give you some tips as to how you might work with Spine and uSequencer. (I had it working with Animation Timelines, but it's not officially support yet, so it's a bit buggy :D) OR, we're getting closer and closer to the public release of uSequencer 2.0, so we'll be able to send you a trial version sometime soon! :D

- Terry

35. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hiya Solhart!

Did you have a look into Object Path Timelines? :)

- Terry

36. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Also, for anyone else that's been experiencing bugs with Undo / Redo in 5.1.2 and later, we've just submitted a bug fix for that issue! Should be approved in a couple of days! :D

- Terry

37. Gozdek

Gozdek

Great!

38. sprawww

sprawww

I'm glad to hear that. I just forwarded one of the E-Mails again, to both your and the support E-Mail Address. I also put my username in the body. Hope you can have a look at it soon, thanks!

39. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Sprawww!

Please check your inbox for my response :)

- Terry

40. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

We just pushed up a new version with various fixes for Undo / Redo and Win Phone export issues :)

41. EDarkness

EDarkness

Are there any good tutorials for this? I'm completely lost and the videos with no talking and a bunch of clicking don't help at all. It's a little daunting to get into at first. Maybe a good set of tutorials will help.

42. TonyLi

TonyLi

For me, the steps on this page were more helpful than the videos. After going through the steps there slowly, I got a decent handle on how to make sequences. It is a bit daunting at first, but it's a really good sequencer. And its native prefab support makes it really handy to re-use sequences with the Dialogue System. :)

43. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello EDarkness,

I have to agree with TonyLi, maybe it goes against the norm, but the documentation at http://www.wellfired.com/usequencer.html#documentation_tab is good and covers most aspects, I also try to keep it as up to date as possible, you should definitely check it out! :)

You can also have a look at these video tutorials :
    uSequencer Getting to know uSequencer

and
    uSequencer Auto Triggering A Prefabed Sequence

The second one is more in depth. :)

- Terry

44. EDarkness

EDarkness

Hey Tony. Long time no see. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it tonight. The videos didn't help much. Doing things like having an NPC walk around or move from one place to another is something that I figured they would have done videos on.

I've had this asset for ages and have never really gotten it to work, gonna try to do this over the next couple of days.

45. aigam

aigam

Hi!
    On the last version of unity and usequencer I have a constant error.
    This error is on a total blank project with only usequencer. I tried to reset, clean library, but the error persists so I'm unable to use usequencer.

Thanks.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
    3.   at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
    5.   at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    7.   at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    9.   at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespace (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    11.   at Mono.CSharp.GlobalRootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    13.   at Mono.CSharp.Driver.LoadReferences () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    15.   at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    17.   at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    19. The following assembly referenced from F:\git\Prueba render\Assets\WellFired\usequencer\Compiled\Runtime\usequencerRuntime.dll could not be loaded:
    20.      Assembly:   sharedRuntime    (assemblyref_index=3)
    21.      Version:    0.0.0.0
    22.      Public Key: (none)
    23. The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (F:\git\Prueba render\Assets\WellFired\usequencer\Compiled\Runtime\).
    25. Could not load file or assembly 'sharedRuntime, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
    26. Could not load file or assembly 'sharedRuntime, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
    27. The class WellFired.USObserverKeyframe could not be loaded, used in usequencerRuntime, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    28. The class SnapShotEntry could not be loaded, used in usequencerRuntime, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

46. gecko

gecko

same here in 5.3. I emailed the developer. Hopefully he'll respond soon so we can get back to work.

aigam likes this.
  47. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

48. gecko

gecko

Wow, so the developer did not test uSequencer with 5.3 and has not been on the forum since December 2nd, and isnt responding to email or Twitter. This is very poor form for the developer of a tool like this. I have got sequences in several projects that now I cannot upgrade to 5.3. And apparently I have to find another tool for a cutscene that I have to make this week for a client. Regretting this purchase and the time invested in it....

49. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey guys!

We have a fix for 5.3, unfortunately, Unity introduced some small bugs with 5.3 that won't be fixed until a further version, i'm sure this issue will affect other packages as well, but I've managed to find a work around and I have an update for 5.3 available and ready to hit the store, since it will take a couple of days to get approved please fire me an email over to support@wellfired.com and I'll provide you the fix!

Apologies about the delay, but this one was very painful to resolve!

A little piece of advice for developing software in general, this is not something specific to Unity or uSequencer. I'd always advise doing a test upgrade and thoroughly testing all components you regularly use before committing to use a newly release version of any development software, it always carries the risk of hidden or not fixable bugs.

- Terry

hopeful likes this.
  50. gecko

gecko

Thanks! So far so good with the fix. Very glad you popped up again -- obviously I was getting worried. FWIW, a brief "working on it" post would have relieved some stress. I figure that asset developers are in the beta group so they can fix issues with upcoming Unity releases, and to have silence nearly a week after 5.3's release was concerning. I haven't upgraded other projects yet, but I would imagine if there were a hidden or unfixable bug, the asset developer would post a warning on their forum thread.