Search Unity

Unity Cutscene Creator / Camera Path - uSequencer [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WellFiredDevelopment, Jun 19, 2012.

1. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

We've just ran our uSequencer test over Unity 5.0 beta and 4.6.1 beta, everything works perfectly with IL2CPP and 64-bit, works great out of the box

:D

If you need the Unity 5.0 version fire us an email at support@wellfired.com

- Terry

inas and hopeful like this.
  2. 00christian00

00christian00

Hi Terry,
    I'm trying the free version, looks very cool. Pretty sure I will buy it.
    I am testing the example scene, Basic Example 3, have some issue. I don't know if it's the sample script or the asset itself.
    When you trigger the cutscene the gameobject and camera of the cutscene are disabled, so all I see is a grey screen.
    Should the sample script enable them or usequencer should automatically unload the previous sequence and load the current one? Anyway it's not working right now as it is.

3. 00christian00

00christian00

Finished trying the sample scene, bought it :D
    Is it possible to set keyframes via script at runtime?

Also how can I disable interpolation of values between keyframes? If for example I want some abrupt movement do I have to use two consecutive keyframes or there is another way?

On the free version I had a handy open usquencer button on the prefab, but I don't see it on the paid version.
    Why the free version is 120mb and the paid one 4mb ? :D

EDIT
    Also the paid version is missing several examples, is the version on the asset store older?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  4. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

It is indeed, if you'd like an up to date version, send us a support request with your invoice number at support@wellfired.com (Unity's approval process takes a while).

Abrupt movement can be achieved by setting the tangent mode (right or left) to constant. You can set keyframes via scripts, is there something you want to achieve?

- Terry

5. 00christian00

00christian00

Hi Terry,
    Answered you by email.
    The sudden movement, was just to have camera cuts without having to rely on multiple sequences like in the example.
    I would rather have a single timeline than one for each cut.

6. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey,

For Camera Cuts, you should check out the observer timeline. It allows you to do transitions with instant cut or transitions with effects (dissolve, wipe).

I've responded to your mail with a new version.

- Terry

7. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

We've just submitted uSequencer 1.3.9 to the asset store, Version 1.3.9 provides usability enhancements and a bunch of great new features including an improved observer timeline with transitions and object path timeline with handycam support. (Change log as always can be found here : http://www.wellfired.com/technicaldocumentation/usequencer/html/changelog.html#v139)

Features
    • Updated all documentation (online / offline)
    • Added Handycam / shake support to object path timelines.
    • Added Camera transitions to the observer timeline. (Unity Pro Only).
    • Added support for Rotation (Euler).
    • Added support for Mecanim Custom rigs to the Animation Timeline.
    • Improved Inspector for sequences, allowing you to create / update prefabs and duplicate sequences as well as open uSequencer directly from the inspector. (Works for multiple objects at once)
    • Improved Inspector for Object Path Timeline, allows for aligning of keyframes to objects
    • Improved Inspector for Object Path Timeline, allows for the setting of ease and shake settings.
    • Improved Inspector for Observer Keyframes, allows for the setting of time, cameras and transitions (Unity Pro Only).
    • Improved Inspector for Spline Keyframes, allows for the aligning of keyframes to objects in the scene view.
    • Added Late binding callbacks to uSequencer Timelines, so you can perform custom operations on Late Binding
    • Skip to next / prev keyframe now only works on visible keyframes.
    • Added timeline hierarchy sorting and sorted position / rotation to first show local, will also work with custom timelines.
    • Added a rotate object event.
    • Added another couple of Playmaker events. (Improved existing ones).
    • Added Unity UI Intergration
    • Unity 5.0 support (Email us for this at support@wellfired.com)
    Fixes
    • Fix for some object references being lost when saving prefabs.
    • Fixed Undo / Redo support for duplication of prefabs.
    • Sometimes Object Path Timelines were not serialized / deserialized correctly.
    • Fix for sometimes HotKeys wouldn't work when another Unity control had focus.
    • Fix for selecting a scrolled Animation window item.

8. inas

inas

Hi Terry! This is nascode from Twitter.

I Just finished reading all 16 pages in this thread. I must say you have fantastic history of usequencer support. You got almost two and half years maintaining usequencer after all. :)

Is the uservoice forum still alive? because i can still access it

And is the uservoice feature request still alive either?

Just like in twitter, i want to request native prefab workflow. So we could just drag a sequence game object to project folder making it a prefab, and you could reuse it.

9. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Inas,

Yes, we've been supporting uSequencer for over two years and we also maintained an upgrade path from Version 1.0 :) We are pretty proud of that. We also try to be first with support and we've added recently support for Unity 5.0 and IL2CPP, so you can be sure that with uSequencer, you will be safe for now and the future :)

The uservoice is still alive at https://usequencer.uservoice.com you can always email us at support@wellfired.com, or post on our forum over at www.wellfired.com/blog/forum or subscribe and participate on our blog at www.wellfired.com/blog

Our online uSequencer documentation went through a bit of a flaky patch, but it's now fully up to date and gets updated with every iteration of uSequencer (It's just been updated for 1.3.9) as has the technical documentation : http://www.wellfired.com/usequencer.html#documentation_tab

We will look into the standard approach with prefabs when more people are using Unity 5.0, there have been some internal Unity API changes that enable us to provide you a better implementation, for now, we've added new functionality to the uSequencer inspector, ensuring you can quickly and more efficiently prefab your sequences.

Let me know if you've any questions :)

- Terry

10. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey guys,

We've just updated our uSequencer page with a number of samples, check out the sample page here : http://www.wellfired.com/usequencer.html#samples_tab

We currently have four samples, but we'll be continually adding more as time goes on!

Enjoy!

- Terry

11. inas

inas

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your reply. Should we go to uservoice to submit feature request? I dont see the link to uservoice on your new website.

Just a suggestion, i think you could try using trello with public board to implement feature request + voting like this https://trello.com/dev

12. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Inas,

We promoting the Uservoice, because people didn't use it that frequently. For feature requests, you can just email them to us.

I'll take a look at your trello suggestion, thanks for that! :)

- Terry

13. Peleus

Peleus

Hello,

I'm having troubles playing a sequence for a second time. It appears when I play the sequence again, the camera is in the final position. Is there a way to reset a sequence so that it plays as if played for the first time if called again?

14. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Peleus,

How are you playing the sequence? If you are playing through code with the .Play() method, you should call stop before playing it a subsequent time.

If you're not playing with code and through some other method, let me know how you play the sequence :)

I.E.
    // Play once
    Play();

// Play second time
    Stop();
    Play();

- Terry

Peleus likes this.
  15. Peleus

Peleus

Thank you for your very prompt reply. That did the trick! FYI I was calling play from a UI event(click). Would adding the stop function to the last frame of a sequence result in the same thing?

16. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Peleus,

You should check out our Unity 4.6 components

PlaySequence
    PauseSequence
    StopSequence
    PreviewSequence

Attach them to any Unity Button (or Slider for the Preview Sequence) to get out of the box playback support!

To answer your question (probably ;))

- Terry

17. inas

inas

Hi Terry,

I would like to make a cutscene with a text dialogue shown in the middle of cutscene. When the text dialogue shown, cutscene will be paused, and after pressing a key, the dialogue will be gone and cutscene continues. If you know JRPG genre like Final Fantasy, it's like that.

What would you suggest in this case?

18. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Inas,

I would suggest you split it into two cutscenes.

Play Sequence A.
    Game Logic decides when player has pressed a key.
    Play Sequence B.

That also allows you to work on sequences as a team, similar to how you would with prefabs. Person A works on Sequence A, Person B works on Sequence B, etc. Also, with this approach, you can easily switch out whole sequences, instead of playing Sequence B, you could choose to play Sequence C or D. (For Example).

- Terry

19. inas

inas

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your suggestion. But as the sequence has many dialogues, separating into many cutscene is not a preferred choice.

Can i implement an event which actually pausing the sequence and show the dialogue ui?

20. Peleus

Peleus

Terry, another quick question. Is there any way to do a fade to / from black or is there just the camera cut? I was poking around and was not able to find an obvious way to do it. Thanks. If not is anyone aware of a work around to do an in sequence fade?

21. Peleus

Peleus

Ah, i think I found it...fade screen?

22. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Inas,

You can indeed! :)

I will point you to our technical documentation which should cover adding a new event :) - http://www.wellfired.com/technicaldocumentation/usequencer/html/index.html#custom_events
    You should also check out this blog post - Adding Custom uSequencer Events

- Terry

23. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey, that is indeed the event. Note however that event has been in uSequencer since Unity 3, so is very old. I would suggest using the new GUI system for a fade.

- Terry

24. Peleus

Peleus

I am having two issues.
    My main camera is being manipulated somehow when you start up a scene. This seems to start happening when you use a path on the main camera. I have no idea how to deal with this.

Also with paths, as soon as I start using paths I start getting warnings that objects are getting leaked? Maybe this is related.

USLookAtObjectEventEditor has been leaked 1 times.
    USObserverKeyframe has been leaked 4 times.

25. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Peleus,

The path will move the camera along a path, which will manipulate the camera. Is this not expected? If not, then don't use a path for the camera. Do you use the Observer Timeline?

Or did I mis-understand?

These messages :
    USLookAtObjectEventEditor has been leaked 1 times.
    USObserverKeyframe has been leaked 4 times.

are harmless and only affect the editor. :)

- Terry

26. Peleus

Peleus

I have managed to eliminate the leaks.

So the set up is as follows. I have a single camera in the scene. I trigger the sequences to play on a button press with play(). At the end of the sequence I show another dialog. On a button press I call Stop() on the sequence. It returns the camera to the correct location but not the correct rotation as it was before the sequence.

27. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Peleus,

Are you using Object Path timeline to animate your camera? with orientation set to look at object?

- Terry

28. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

We've just submitted uSequencer 1.3.9.1 to the asset store, Version 1.3.9.1 is a bunch of small bug fixes as well as a submit for Unity 5.0, which you should be able to download through the asset store once the version has been approved.

Features
    • Cache uSequencers snap amount, so it is serialised between sequence changes.
    • Added global Tangent Constant mode.
    Fixes
    • Observer keyframes will be added at the correct time.
    • Fix for GC crash in Unity 5.0
    • Only add keyframes through inspector / handle manipulation

- Terry

29. Peleus

Peleus

Yes, Exactly.

30. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

It seems quite strange that you would be reverted back to the same position, but not orientation, do you have any further timelines operating on your camera? (Event Timelines with look at events, property timelines, etc)?

- Terry

31. red2blue

red2blue

Hi Terry,

since your asset it right now on sale, I wanted to take a deeper look onto it. I found out, that the links "Documentation" and "free version" are broken on the asset store page. Maybe you want to fix it due to the sale ;).

I will try the free version, and mybe make a buy! From the forum it looks like the support is incredable. :)

32. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey,

thanks so much for pointing this out to us! Will get resolved A.S.A.P! :)

BTW, here are the links
    Documentation
    Free Version

- Terry

33. red2blue

red2blue

You are welcome,

thanks, I allready found the information on your website. :)

Cheers and happy sale!

34. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

This version has now been uploaded, it should mean that from now on, you can grab a Unity 4.6 and a Unity 5.0 version directly from the Unity Asset Store.

Oh, also, we're on 50% sale! Grab it whilst you can!

- Terry

35. p6r

p6r

I can't download it from asset store :

Error while importing package: Package has unknown format
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Could you help me, please ?
    (I use Unity free 4.6.1f1 !)

6R

36. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello!

uSequencer is currently built against Unity 4.6.2, are you able to upgrade? :)

- Terry

37. Kiori

Kiori

Hi there, how is the performance of uSequencer, are there overheads, can it run well on mobile?
    My guess would be since its mostly a editor thing, with a series of transforms/whatnot being operated in a forced manner, at runtime. It shouldn't have any lag at all(extra i mean), but its good to know if there are performance limitations.

38. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello kiori,

Thanks for your question! uSequencer is built around Unity's core system, so you can rest assured that there will be very little overhead than Unity's own systems :) On top of that, places we've found slowdown, we've optimised :)

There are published Unity games using uSequencer on every platform Unity currently exports to and various large companies trust us to provide their tools, with hundreds of shipped titles and thousands of users, you can be sure you're getting the best.

However, on the off chance that you do find any issues, we'll be on them right away!

Also, remember that you can always evaluate the free version up until you ship, the only limitation is the watermark, which you can replace at anytime with the paid version and remove! All sequences remain in-tact.

- Terry

39. p6r

p6r

I just have installed 4.6.2 and have the same issue !?!
    What happens ??? It's the first time with an asset...

To contact me private if needed : pcizaire at hotmail dot com.

6R

40. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

I sent you an email, please check your mailbox!

- Terry

41. p6r

p6r

Yes, I replied :
    I use the paid version...
    6R

42. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey,

could you try the instructions in the email once more.

1) Re-Download the package (it might be corrupt)
    2) Re-Install the package

If you still receive this error (which seems unlikely), could you try in an empty project?

Do you have any more WellFired products?

- Terry

43. p6r

p6r

I can't download the package (even in a new project !). So I can't (re)install it...
    No I don't have any other WellFired product.
    I will try to install the free version I'm downloading. Maybe a download issue only !?!

(I hope I can use it because it's very interesting. Hope I don't have to ask for a refund !?!)

Edit : I can install the free version from the unitypackage I could download out of Unity. So, it's an issue with importing in Unity !?! :-(

6R

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  44. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey guys,

Turns out there is an issue with the Unity downloader, if you do run into this issue, just fire me an email and I'll provide you with a manual build, as I did with p6r. The manual build will work, hopefully Unity will resolve the issue or provide publishers with a work around soon.

- Terry

45. p6r

p6r

Yes, the manual build works. Thanks a lot ArtOfSettling for your help and support...
    I just have tested to import your package in the new 4.6.3 version but I have the same issue !

After my first tests with your asset I think it is very clever.

6R

46. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Keep your eyes peeled for future updates, we're working hard on some curve editorimprovements and Spine integration!

Watch this space!

- Terry

47. p6r

p6r

Could you add a scene with a 2D animated/animator sequence !?!
    It should be great to see the use of the uSequencer options relative to the Animator system...
    6R

48. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Funny you should ask! Check out what I'm working on at the moment!

Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 21.57.08.png

We are also currently working on a full Start to finish sequence tutorial, utilising every single option available in uSequencer!

Hope to have that ready sometime soon!

- Terry

49. p6r

p6r

Great !
    I just have found the way to use Animator/Animations with uSequencer...
    But it's fantastic if you add a complete 2D scene.

Your plugin is easy to use, that means well done for all users : beginners or not !
    uSequencer is powerful and it's motivating to create some nice things.
    6R

50. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Thanks for your kind words p6r, I'm sure other users love to hear your positive feedback also! :D

I will be sure to post here as soon as those videos and scenes are available. We're also working on a new timeline for uSequencer that uses Spine : http://esotericsoftware.com Should be available soon!

- Terry