Search Unity

Unity Cutscene Creator / Camera Path - uSequencer [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WellFiredDevelopment, Jun 19, 2012.

1. God-at-play

God-at-play

Is there a reliable way to know when a looping sequence has passed each loop? So far I've done two things, the first:
    Code (csharp):
    1.         // done in Update()
    2.         if (outerDialogue.IsPlaying  outerDialogue.RunningTime >= outerDialogue.Duration)
    3.         {
    4.             ++playCount;
    5.         }
    This counts from 0 to 1 correctly, but not after that. It never gets to 2. I fear it could be because the internal logic for the timing is not fully reliable.

Next, I tried subscribing to PlaybackFinished, but that doesn't increment play count at all. I suppose that just fires once playback has stopped?

2. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello GodAtPlay,

It may not seem too intuitive at first glimpse, but you can use the delegate : PlaybackStopped
    You see, at the end of each looping playback, the sequence is technically stopped and so this is called.

The playback finished callback is indeed only fired when the Playback has finished, which never occurs with a Looping (or Ping-Ponging sequence).

Regards,
    Well Fired.

3. toto2003

toto2003

hi Terry
    i recently got this error since i update to the latest version of unity, not sure if it s only me, the usequencer tab view start to not behave correctly, i had to rechange the layout to make it fonctional but still got this error.

AnimationUtility.StartAnimationMode is deprecated. Use AnimationMode.StartAnimationMode with the new APIs. The objects passed to this function will no longer be reverted automatically. See AnimationMode.AddPropertyModification
    UnityEditor.AnimationUtility:StartAnimationMode(Object[])
    USControl:StartProcessingAnimationMode(USSequencer)
    USControl:UpdateTimeMarkerArea(Rect, USSequencer)
    <Render>c__AnonStorey0:<>m__1()
    CodeProfiler:WrapAction(Action, String)
    USControl:Render(Rect, Rect, USSequencer)
    <UpdateSequencerTimelinePane>c__AnonStorey5:<>m__B()
    USWindow:UpdateSequencerTimelinePane(Event, USSequencer)
    USWindow:UpdateTimeline(Event, USSequencer)
    <RenderContents>c__AnonStorey4:<>m__A()
    USWindow:RenderContents()
    USWindow:<OnGUI>m__9()
    USWindow:OnGUI()
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

any idea?

thanks

4. God-at-play

God-at-play

I frequently am getting a null reference exception when I have the uSequencer window open:
    Code (csharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. USControl.OnLoad ()
    3. USWindow.OnEnable ()
    And I'm not sure if this is related, but sometimes all the clips in the sequence don't show up at all, both during play and not. Everything works, but nothing's visible.

EDIT: It comes up right away after restarting Unity, so that doesn't get rid of the exception.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  5. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

uSequencer currently doesn't support Unity 4.3, but we're almost ready with 4.3+ version. We'll hopefully get this out on the Asset Store as soon as possible.

Regards,
    Well Fired.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  6. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone,

we've just gone live with our first beta test for the 4.3+ compatible version of uSequencer, and a build has been sent out to users, if you want to join in, feel free to email us at support@wellfired.com with your uSequencer receipt.

Regards,
    Well Fired.

7. toto2003

toto2003

hello wellfire
    i try something but i didnt manage to make it work and wonder if it s possible with usequence
    let s say i have gameobject1 on sceneA and and create a usequence with gameobject1 on sceneB, i d like to use gameobject1 from sceneA and use it to play usequence on sceneB.

i try to use dontdestroy on load(gameobject1) , it load it on sceneB but didnt seem to use my gameobject1.
    is this possible to such thing? if not then it s not a big deal.

thanks

8. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello toto,

It is definitely possible to do such a thing, however it is a bit awkward! The reason for this is that scenes cannot know about objects in another scene, if you have a prefab, it cannot (in a straightforward manor) know about objects in the scene. This is a limitation on the project / scene boundary and is actually quite powerful, if you can work around these small issues.

If i was you, I'd store the reference to the gameObject you want to use as a string to the object in the hierarchy, you can then look up the object using the function transform.Find (Documented here : http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Transform.Find.html) You would then be able to retain references to your objects as you migrate through scenes.

Incidentally, this is how uSequencer's Prefabs work. Once you instantiate a prefab, it will find all affected objects in the scene and automatically hook them up for you ! :D

Regards,
    Well Fired.

9. toto2003

toto2003

thanks for the hint, i find an alternative to my issue just by using the loadleveladditive from usequencer. :)

10. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello toto,

Glad you solved the problem :)

Regards,
    Well Fired.

11. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone!

We just wanted to let you all know that uSequencer V 1.3 has been submitted to the Asset Store and the free version is available right now, for free, right here : http://www.usequencer.com/purchase.

uSequencer 1.3 Fixes all the issues people have been seeing with Unity 4.3 as well as adding a whole host of new features! Everyone outlined below!

New Features in 1.3
    * Hotkey K now adds keyframes to any expanded timelines!
    * Hotkeys (P, S, ,, ., ALT+,, ALT+.) work as expected
    * You can now turn off Autokeyframing in the uSequencer Prefs!
    * You can now modify keyframes in the Y Axis as well as the X Axis.
    * Performance enhancements galore!
    * 4.3 Compatible (Full Undo / Redo rewrite, every single action is now Undoable, Full Animation System Re-Write, properties should revert themselves correctly).
    * Full GUI re-write.
    * Event Timelines are now collapsable, showing a smaller box (This is, off course overridable for custom event renderers).
    * You can now modify keyframes in the Y Axis as well as the X Axis.
    * The whole sequence window will be filled from now on, not just a small portion.
    * Updated the Detach Sequence UI so that you can specify a single sequence, rather than every sequence in the scene, also performs a full deep copy.
    * Re wrote the Event Rendering system to be more flexible and easier to extend!
    * Re wrote the Timeline Rendering system in preparation for Custom User Timeline support!
    * Split out the Curve Editor, other people can use this for their own applications if they like.
    * Default action on clicking expanded and none expanded Timeline Members is to show them concurrently. You will always toggle rather than having to hold down the CMD/Control Key.
    * Events and all keyframes are rendered left to right, so there will never be any overlap.
    * All elements in the hierarchy are correctly sized, there is no overlap.
    * Selecting Observer Keyframes now selects the camera
    * Slightly increased the bounding boxes for events and observer keyframes, so they are easier to drag.
    * Expand All / Hide All buttons on the hierarchy
    * Explicitly identify Legacy and Mecanim animations (to avoid confusion)
    * Deep Duplicate Cutscenes through the uSequencer UI.
    * 4.0 Events are now integrated, rather than being a stand alone package.
    * Updated Documentation
    * Probably some others that I forget!

Bug Fixes in 1.3
    * Update Prefab doesn't overwrite the existing prefab anymore.
    * Paths now render correctly in the scene view. (Including localPosition)
    * Fixed the full screen bug.
    * Keyframe/event Inspector Interaction works as expected, should no longer add additional keyframes.
    * Fixed : Sometimes events wouldn't be rendered correctly
    * Fix for various bugs when changing sequence
    * Delete Key will now delete your selection correctly
    * Snapping now works correctly when you start dragging keyframes from different times.
    * Probably some others that I forget!

We've also updated our web Documentation + local documentation, the format of custom events has changed slightly, so if you have any, you might have to make some changes!

Let me know if you have any issues, and, have fun!!!
    Regards,
    Well Fired

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  12. toto2003

toto2003

wow such a big update!!! thanks for this! will test it immediatly

13. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Thank you! ;)

We'll be sure to post here when it's available on the Asset Store! :)

Terry

14. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Awesome update!!!

15. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Everyone!

This update is now available in the store!

Regards,
    Well Fired.

16. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey all!

We just wanted to let you all know that uSequencer V 1.3.1 has been submitted to the Asset Store and the free version is available right now, for free, right here : http://www.usequencer.com/purchase.

uSequencer 1.3.1 Fixes any issues raised with the 1.3 update.

New Features in 1.3.1
    *Welcome Page now links to the PDF inside the uSequencer Folder.
    *Improved User Guide.

Bug Fixes in 1.3.1
    *You can now record again.
    *Sometimes you couldn't drag select events or observer keyframes.
    *Ensure Collapsed Events render correctly and don't break the inspector.
    *Fix for Null Ref on Clicking the Observer Timeline Container in the uSequencer Window.

We've also updated our web Documentation + local documentation, the format of custom events has changed slightly, so if you have any, you might have to make some changes!

Regards,
    Well Fired

17. nukeD

nukeD

Hi there, i updated to the latest version, installed in my current project and boom, i get these errors:
    I'm using Unity Free, uSequencer paid version and PlayMaker to orchestrate the whole game.
    deleted the whole uSeq folder and reimported... now all the animation sequences are gone from my intro scene (the timelines are still in the scene, but there are no keyframes), but the error is still present.

thanks in advance

edit: deleted the whole uSeq folder again and went back to version 1.26 which i had saved, the PlayMaker error is gone, but my animations didnt come back.

What can i/we do about this error?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  18. TonyLi

TonyLi

Terry, I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but the Dialogue System for Unity has uSequencer integration -- e.g., for cutscene sequences associated with each line of dialogue. It uses late binding and prefabs heavily.

A team just sent me an internal development video of some dialogue that uses uSequencer sequences, and it looks fantastic. I don't think they could've gotten the same results without uSequencer. It's a great product!

19. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello nukeD,

Unfortunately, uSequencer isn't backwards compatible. Not to fear. I've got a copy of the HOTween package that works with uSequencer 1.3, it's attached to this post, you can rest assured that this will be included in our 1.3.1 and future updates.

If you've got any more urgent questions with regards to your upgrade to 1.3, please don't hesitate to contact me at support@wellfired.com

Regards,
    Well Fired.

Attached Files:

20. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Tony!

I don't think you mentioned this to me however I had noticed your public API pointed towards uSequencer, it's amazing news! Thanks for sharing this.

One thing I should note to you is that the interface for uSequencer custom events has changed slightly in 1.3, so if you've provided any, they might not compile correctly. It's documented in the bundled pdf. The changes (if needed) should be fairly straight forward and easy to incorporate.
    If you ever need me to put together some custom events for uSequencer to interface with the Dialogue System, I could definitely do this for you.

As an aside, I'd love to see the internal development video (if the dev doesn't mind), if you need to get in touch with me about anything, fire me an email to terrymagnusdrever@wellfired.com and I'll get in touch as soon as I can :)

Congrats on Dialogue System, it looks amazing.

Regards,
    Terry

21. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks for the heads-up on the interface change. I'll check the custom events in my own game project. I haven't had any requests yet for custom events for the Dialogue System since the built-in events cover just about everything customers have needed, but I'll keep your offer in mind! I probably can't share the dev video, but with luck you might see it on Greenlight one of these days. :)

22. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

I guess the developer doesn't want to openly share internal videos ;) I'll keep my eyes peeled! If you've got any questions, just fire me an email!

23. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

If anyone would like to upgrade to uSequencer 1.3.1 which includes further bug fixes, feel free give us a shout at support@wellfired.com and we'll send you directly a new package.

Regards,
    Well Fired.

24. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks a lot man!
    Tried the HOTween file, but the error is still there preventing the whole project from working
    If i remove the whole PlayMaker folder from uSequencer/Third Party Packages the error is gone and the scene can be played (without the sequences), but the communications between the 2 systems is gone.

What do you think about this?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  25. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello!

I've attached a new package to this message, it should resolve your issue, so that you know what I actually changed :

The delegates uSequencer uses when callback now take a USSequencer object, they didn't used to, so I've had to update the delegates appropriately.

PlaymakerSequence.cs and PlayMakerPlayFromTimeSequence.cs
    Code (csharp):
    2.         private void OnSequenceFinished()
    3.         {
    4.             Fsm.Event(finishEvent);
    5.             Finish();
    6.         }
    changed to
    Code (csharp):
    2.         private void OnSequenceFinished(USSequencer sequence)
    3.         {
    4.             Fsm.Event(finishEvent);
    5.             Finish();
    6.         }
    Regards,
    Well Fired

Attached Files:

26. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Everyone!

Whilst we're still waiting for 1.3.1 to be approved by Unity, I've attached a bunch of updated events to this post!

Regards,
    Well Fired.

Attached Files:

27. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone!

There was a huge performance problem with uSequencer when the uSequencer window was closed, if anyone is experiencing this, it has been fixing in the version that is currently pending approval by Unity. I can send you the package before it hits the Asset Store, please email me your receipt at support@wellfired.com

Regards,
    Well Fired

28. nukeD

nukeD

Hey, thank you very much for fixing the PlayMaker thing!
    I have a new problem for you :p

I purchased Unity PRO yesterday, installed the latest version (4.3.4.) and the latest uSequencer from the store (1312).
    Now, if the uSequencer editor is open and docked the framerate drops so brutally, that it hangs Unity (the scene is about 5K polys and less than 10 drawcalls), also has the CPU @ 75%.

Advice, please!

Thanks

29. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello NukeD,

My previous post also applies to the editor being open.

So, basically, just send me your receipt and I'll send you a fixed package.

Regards,
    Terry.

30. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks! I'll try PMing it to you because:

31. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Thanks NukeD,

Check your inbox! :)

32. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks a lot Terry.
    Package received!

33. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

@ArtOfSetting,

I am interested in modding sequences created from USequencer during run-time. I watched the scrubbing video but do not quite understand how it's done. Can you explain how this can be done via coding during run-time.

Cheers.

34. TonyLi

TonyLi

rocki, I'm sure Terry will have many more details to offer, but to get you started he wrote a blog post about late binding at run-time: http://wellfired.blogspot.com/2012/11/late-binding-for-runtime-animating-its.html

And if you unpack the Dialogue System's uSequencer Support package you can see a more complicated example of late binding and prefab loading in SequencerCommanduSeq.cs.

35. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

@TonyLi,

Thanks for the link and the pointer to SequencerCommanduSeq. It's exactly what I was asking for.

Cheers.

36. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

I downloaded the latest version from the asset store and could not find "uSequencer Support package".
    Is this something that has to be downloaded from elsewhere ?

37. TonyLi

TonyLi

In the folder "Dialogue System/Third Party Support", there's a unitypackage file named "uSequencer Support". Just double-click this to import it. It will create a folder named "Dialogue System/Third Party Support/uSequencer". I also just PM'ed you access information for the customer download page.

38. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello rocki,

I just pm'd you. :)

Regards,
    Well Fired

39. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to give you a sneak peak as to what you can expect from the next version of uSequencer.

1) Object Path Timelines!
    Allowing you to plot out your object paths directly in the scene view, these will naturally work in conjunction with Property, Event and Observer Timelines!

2) The ability to easily code your own custom Timelines that will do anything you need!

Have a Screenshot!

$Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 18.45.57.png

Regards,
    terry

40. toto2003

toto2003

Hi terry

Didn't knew it was possible to change the speed of a sequence during runtime through script. How can I do that with script?

41. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Toto,

You can alter the PlaybackRate, like so

sequence.PlaybackRate = 4.0f;
    sequence.Play();

This will make the cutscene playback at 4x the usual speed. :)

Regards,
    Terry

42. Katarak

Katarak

I can't see anywhere if Linux is supported... The website doesn't list it, though they list other ones, and they say All platforms (including consoles) Is this true for both licenses? I'm assuming with source everything is possible... but otherwise?

Thank you.

43. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Katarak!

Apologies for not mentioning Linux, it is definitely supported. This is indeed true for both licenses. We also plan to support all future platforms in a prompt manor.

If you want to test uSequencer for your needs, definitely try out the free version (It is 100% complete, so includes exporting to all versions.)

Regards,
    Terry

44. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

That's great!

45. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

We'll have a beta available soon, so if anyone is interested, email us as usual at support@wellfired.com

46. silentslack

silentslack

I would like to add a feature request - toggle a track on/off. I'm trying to setup a sequence that is timed to a character animation - it therefore makes sense to have the character animation in the sequence. However, ingame the character animation is triggered in code. Therefore, it would be nice to be able to toggle the track off.

47. silentslack

silentslack

I've been using your plugin for a couple of hours and finding a few bugs. It appears that sometimes the window prevents me from adding a new GameObject and I have to restart the uSequencer. Where shall I log these bugs as I would like to have these resolved?

48. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello silent Slack,

This probably isn't a bug, when you are in animation mode, you cannot add objects to the sequence, you must exit Animation Mode first. This is easy to do, simple press the stop button. In the next version of uSequencer, we've added some logging to let you know this is happening.

If you have feature requests / bug reports, please email us at support@wellfired.com or leave them on our user voice page at https://usequencer.uservoice.com

Regards,
    Terry

49. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone!

We just wanted to let you all know that uSequencer V 1.35 has been submitted to the Asset Store and the free version is available right now, for free, right here : http://www.usequencer.com/purchase.

uSequencer 1.35 Adds some really cool functionality in the Object Path Timelines, which allow you to create a path in the scene view for any object, the spline is auto generated and this works in conjunction with existing, event, property AND observer timelines.

We've also moved all code into it's own namespace, so if you have custom extensions, you may receive some compile errors (sorry about that!).

New Features in 1.35
    Object Path Timelines.
    All code has been moved into it's own separate namespace (WellFired).
    Updated all existing events.
    We now serialise correctly Observer keyframes when you update a prefab or create a prefab, all links will be retained when you bring a prefab back into a scene. This stops you having to save the scene when working on a prefab.
    Added a notification if the user tries to add a new Affected Object whilst a sequence is in record mode. This is just to avoid confusion.
    Updated Documentation.
    Users can now construct their own custom timelines! (using the USCustomTimelineHierarchyItem attribute and inheriting from IUSTimelineHierarchyItem).
    When animating properties, hold down the alt key to move only in the X axis.
    Added a stub for USAnimationTimeline, more on that later!

Bug Fixes in 1.35
    Keyframes will now get added at the correct time, regardless of Zoom / Scroll level.
    Ensure there are no lost frames in looping and ping ponging sequences.
    Mecanim event fixes.
    Fix for sometimes unity's UI would balls up (Inspector pane).
    Enlarge the grab handle on observer keyframes a little.
    Fix for issues with multiple objects being selected incorrectly.
    Optimisations in the editor.
    Fixes for various Undo Redo Bugs.
    When animating properties, hold down the alt key to move only in the X
    Try to be a bit more intelligent with what we select when you're editing in the uSequencer Window.

Regards,
    Well Fired

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  50. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Everyone!

This update is now live!

For anyone running the NONE-SOURCE version, you should be careful when updating, the addition of namespaces has messed with the existing uSequencer script references, so you might notice that your game objects have missing scripts attached. Not to worry however, as there is a fix for this incoming.

If anyone would like to fix this urgently, I've written a little Utility and will provide it to anyone who has this issue, just ask :)

Regards,
    Well Fired.