Search Unity

Unity Curriculum

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by JSandomir, Jan 25, 2018.

1. JSandomir

JSandomir

Has anyone used the Curriculum framework in a high school classroom? I am probably going to use it in my class and was wondering if anyone had any advice or issues they would like to share with me.

2. clarkscholten

clarkscholten

I'll be using it in my high school classroom in a few weeks. Have a few units ready to go. I am adding a C# coding assignment with each unit, as the full class needs to fit in with my software engineering CTE pathway. For each unit I plan on four segments/assignments:
    - Contemporary Game Assignment (review/evaluate/modify existing games)
    - Critical Thinking Assignment (focused on the unit topic)
    - C# coding assignment (learn a bit of the language each unit)
    - Capstone Assignment (toward the completion of the final project)

I am interested in what others are doing as well.

3. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Does the school system teach Java? That seems to be the most common -- often simple cut-and-paste in Jr. High. That might have a big effect on how coding goes. Did they have any options for more advanced coding classes? I feel students quickly learn they hate coding (from what they've seen of it) or like it and have already found ways to learn more.

Many topics -- layering transparent PNGs to make particle effects -- can be enjoyed by everyone. Artists will do better, but everyone can make something that works (in the sense you can see it). But I've found coding topics have a few self-starters pushing the pace, and the majority who keep getting yelled at by the stupid computer even though they added plenty of semi-colons and pasted everything exactly!!

You've first topic, I've seen it where writing papers, maybe presenting them, gets students very interested. Many gamers have never thought about general game tricks, or the spreadsheet aspect, how many idle animations their favorite character has ... . But that class was taught by someone who also ran a game studio.