Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Creating Huge Editor.log file

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Kashif024, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Kashif024

Kashif024

Two days ago I update unity to unity hub and from 2018.3 to 2018.3.1 and then after working on project for around 3-4 hours, windows gave me warning storage full and then unity crashed, then after searching in Windirstat i found 40GB unity Editor.log file and then again today it created 30GB Editor.log in just 1hour. Is anybody know what causing unity to create huge log?

Attached Files:

• Img.jpg
      Img.jpg
      File size:
      29.9 KB
      Views:
  2. xVergilx

xVergilx

What's inside it?

It's probably a constant error message spam.
    Use something like Notepad++ to open it. (Don't try to open it with a default one, it will crash)

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Obviously it would be important for you to mention what actually is being written to the log file.

4. Kashif024

Kashif024

I tried to open file with notepad++, sublime, visual studio code none of them worked and my project have no errors only few warnings.

5. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

I would be interested to see the contents. Too bad Windows doesn't have "tail" or "top". You might just "type" to the console.

7. Kashif024

Kashif024

Reinstalled unity, now problem seems to be fixed.

8. Gladyon

Gladyon

There's always the solution of using an hexadecimal disk editor, locate the file, and go through the HDD sectors containing the file, chances are they are contiguous and the text shouldn't that hard to read as it's probably the same thing repeated over and over again.

What is stunning me is how much time did Unity must have taken to write so large files. I suspect that there's been some serious slow down.

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

I'm curious myself as to what they contained. We haven't heard of similar behavior reported before.

xVergilx likes this.
  10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If the issue appears again, and is reproducible, shutdown Unity, reopen Unity, and grab log when the problem starts. You should then be able to open it in your favorite text editor. It is almost certainly one or two repeating lines.

11. 7DSFinch

7DSFinch

Had this happen - same thing, was fine prior to 2019, now every time I leave Unity open for more than 30 minutes or so I get this.

Posted to the bug tracker, case 1150015. Was able to tail the info using powershell, the repeated line is:

selector_thread_wakeup_drain_pipes: recv () failed, error (10054)

Any ideas?

12. junebug12851

junebug12851

i had the same thing, Logfile.log took up over 850GB, unfortunately my first instinct was to yell "WTF" out loud followed by permanently deleting it with Shift+Del . I'll peek inside next time, not doing so was entirely my fault lol.

I have a high-end gaming laptop with 64GB of RAM and like 3 mutli-terabyte hard drives built-in so it really made me panic when I was suddenly completely out of disk space and the culprit was a Logfile larger than many blu-ray discs combined. As much as I use Unity I'm sure it'll happen again and this time I'll pay more attention to it's contents lol.

But if your using Windows 10 and you familiar with Linux commands as I'm gathering from some of the comments here you can install Linux Subsystem which is a built-in feature to Windows 10 made officially by Microsoft. Doing so allows you to go to the Windows store and install Ubuntu which run inside the Windows 10 kernel (Not as a virtual machine but actually inside the main Windows operating system)

If you do that you can use all of your favorite Linux tools like head and tail and others and they run natively in the Windows system under ubuntu. Just throwing that out there for those that have this problem and are interested.

13. Kashif024

Kashif024

Facing the issue again as soon as I updated to Unity 2019.1.5, the repeated line is

7DSFinch likes this.
  14. 7DSFinch

7DSFinch

Naka3107 likes this.
  15. Twistablegolf

Twistablegolf

I'm not 100% if this is related but this only seems to happen to me if I activate my VPN while running unity. NordVPN to be exact. Considering unity doesn't start if I have it activated beforehand, I'm assuming it's the cause.

If any of you have a VPN running, try leaving it disabled and see if the problem persists.

zchek and martinhellmuth like this.
  16. spiffymai

spiffymai

I just had this happen. I'm not sure when the log got so huge, just that I got a message from Steam saying it couldn't update because I didn't have enough room. I recently had restored my computer so I shouldn't have been anywhere close to filling up my hard drive and all of a sudden it was full. Ran Windirstat and it was the Unity Editor Log file, over 700GB!!!

Like Twistablegolf, I also have NordVPN and it had recently been active, though I'm not sure if Unity was open at the same time as when I found out it was full, my computer was post-restart.

I have the Unity Hub and Unity 2019.1.0f2 and 2018.3.11f1, but if it had been open at the time this went down, it would have been 2019.1.0f2 as that's the last one I was working in.

17. Sithdown

Sithdown

I don't have NordVPN but Editor.log keeps filling up to hundreds of GB. I deleted it, opened Unity again, and the log is spamming this:

GIFileCache::OnRemoveFile FAILED removing 'Q:/Apps/Unity2018_3_Cache/dc/dcb12afed0f0a4ed6a26a0b49e5b66cf.info'.

I'm on Unity 2019.1.5f1.
    That path is the cache path I set on an earlier version of Unity.

Any ideas?

18. lach483

lach483

I have the same recurring issue.

I have a small 250GB SSD basically the log file will fill up whatever space I have available, being edited when I am away from keyboard and Unity is left open. The 108GB file I deleted was lasted edited around 3am many hours after going to bed.

Kind of annoying, its kinda hard to upload a 108GB logfile when your internet browser can't open due to low memory....

Deleting the log file temporally solves the issue but its an ongoing thing....

ThunderMusic likes this.
  19. Vosheck

Vosheck

Edit: I falsly reported the error being due to windows multiple desktops.

Same error message for me fills the editor log to max capacity after having Unity minimized for a while:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  20. ThunderMusic

ThunderMusic

I also have the problem. It fills my entire disk. I am on a ROG Laptop, so it's single desktop. I also have an SSD drive, if it's at all relevant. It does the problem, like lach483, when I'm AFK for an extended amount of time. No task is being performed like baking lights or anything. It just sits there and at some point, it fills a log with I don't know what. I can't open the log because I never get to it until it's like 50-60 GB (it once got to 108Gb in about 3 hours). If I catch it at a point where I can open it, I'll try to post what is being logged over and over again.

21. Dave_Lightman

Dave_Lightman

There isnt a fix? Dang... Cant do anything for a reasonable amount of time else Unity crashes.

22. Naka3107

Naka3107

Just happened to me. Today I opened my computer after doing a complete C:drive restoration to find out it was all full-out again. That really got me panicking, and as soon I found it was Unity's Editor.log filling my drive I just deleted it. I hadn't the thought of checking what the log was storing, I just deleted it. But I'm afraid it will happen again after reading the thread. Please Unity!! We need support! @JeffDUnity3D

23. B1QB0SS1

B1QB0SS1

Same thing just happened to me.
    I left Unity Editor Open for a couple hours and i found an error message from Windows telling me I don't have space left in C:
    Turns out Unity Editor created a 25gb log file

24. Dave_Lightman

Dave_Lightman

@JeffDUnity3D If you guys have a place for me to upload it I saved a 30 gb version of the log file. Might help solve this problem (I do not have the available cloud space.)

25. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

No, that is certainly not necessary. It's just the same repeated line, most likely. A larger file would provide no additional information.

26. zIyaGtVm

zIyaGtVm

I have the same problem.

I have a script to refresh mesh texture of a model.
    It suppose to only refresh texture once after the png file has been modified by photoshop.
    If I enable the component.After some time, my editor.log file is over 120Gb.

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void Awake()
    2.     {
    3.             texPath = Application.dataPath + "/";
    5.             if (watcher == null)
    6.             {
    7.                 watcher = new FileSystemWatcher();
    8.                 watcher.Path = texPath;
    9.                 watcher.IncludeSubdirectories = true;
    10.                 watcher.NotifyFilter = NotifyFilters.LastWrite;
    11.                 watcher.Filter = "*.png";
    12.                 watcher.Changed += new FileSystemEventHandler(OnChanged);
    13.                 watcher.EnableRaisingEvents = true;
    14.             }
    15.     }
    17.     private void OnChanged(object source, FileSystemEventArgs e)
    18.     {
    19.         if (!blocking)
    20.             needReload = true;
    21.     }
    23.     private void Update()
    24.     {
    25.         if (blocking)
    26.         {
    27.             if (timer < timeStep)
    28.             {
    29.                 timer += Time.deltaTime;
    30.             }
    31.             else
    32.             {
    33.                 timer = 0;
    34.                 blocking = false;
    35.             }
    36.         }
    38.         if (needReload)
    39.         {
    40.             blocking = true;
    41.             AssetDatabase.Refresh();
    42.             needReload = false;
    43.         }
    44.     }
    Here is some part of the repeat log:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Refresh Completed time: 0.535772s
    2.     Asset Scan time: 0.026054s
    3.     Asset Hashing: 0.000000s [0 B, 0.000000 mb/s]
    4.     Asset Import (Scripting) time: 0.000000s (count: 0)
    5.     Post Processs Assets (Scripting) time: 0.000000s
    6.     Asset Rehashing: 0.000000s [0 B, 0.000000 mb/s]
    7.     Asset Import (Non Scripting) time: 0.000000s (count: 0)
    8.     Post Process Assets (Non Scripting) time: 0.000000s
    9.     Dependent Assets to Import Queue time: 0.000000s
    11. Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ...
    12. Refreshing native plugins compatible for Editor in 0.19 ms, found 0 plugins.
    13. Preloading 0 native plugins for Editor in 0.00 ms.
    14. Refreshing native plugins compatible for Editor in 0.08 ms, found 0 plugins.
    15. Preloading 0 native plugins for Editor in 0.00 ms.
    17. Refresh Completed time: 0.080795s
    18.     Asset Scan time: 0.025711s
    19.     Asset Hashing: 0.000000s [0 B, 0.000000 mb/s]
    20.     Asset Import (Scripting) time: 0.000000s (count: 0)
    21.     Post Processs Assets (Scripting) time: 0.000000s
    22.     Asset Rehashing: 0.000000s [0 B, 0.000000 mb/s]
    23.     Asset Import (Non Scripting) time: 0.000000s (count: 0)
    24.     Post Process Assets (Non Scripting) time: 0.000000s
    25.     Dependent Assets to Import Queue time: 0.000000s
    27. selector_thread_wakeup_drain_pipes: recv () failed, error (10054)
    29. selector_thread_wakeup_drain_pipes: recv () failed, error (10054)
    31. selector_ ... ...

27. PygmyMonkey

PygmyMonkey

Hello!

Adding some more info.
    I have the exact same issue.

I can reproduce it, and as @Twistablegolf mentioned, it seems to happen because of NordVPN.
    NordVPN is opened but not connected to a server. I can open Unity and use it normally, nothing weird happens.
    But when I connect to a country with NordVPN, Unity starts generating a tons of log with just:
    for each line, and the file keeps growing and growing and growing.

Also, it's worth noting that if NordVPN is running and connected to a country and I then launch Unity. Unity will open but leave the entire window blank (and obviously I can't use it). But it's not generating any log in Editor.log

I'm using 2018.4.2f1 on Windows 10.

PS: Maybe to avoid this issue in the future, we could have an option to limit the size of the Editor.log file?
    PS2 : 2018.2.21f1 I don't have the Editor.log growing issue.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  28. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

Just want to say the same thing is happening with me.

PygmyMonkey likes this.
  29. LilSleepyFox

LilSleepyFox

Also discovered this today - am also using NordVPN. I'm using 2019.2.6f1

Got some notifications from Windows saying I'd run out of space. Searched a little and found a 117GB Editor.log file :|

martinhellmuth and PygmyMonkey like this.
  30. Graithen

Graithen

I had the same just happen to me, created an 82gb file which then crashed my PC. I had to delete it before even booting my internet browser to come see if anyone else has had it happen. Thought my computer was about to get KO'd..

31. VincentiusIV

VincentiusIV

I have the same issue, currently have a 84 GB Editor.log file sitting on my C drive... Should there not be a limit on the size of these logs?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  32. MattRix

MattRix

Can confirm, had same issue with NordVPN

martinhellmuth likes this.
  33. Mogulbasher

Mogulbasher

Also had this problem came here looking for a solution. I also use NordVPN

34. wenzhao

wenzhao

Editor.log > 87G
    I think Unity should have a hint to tell the user whether to clear the log file when it reaches a certain size, or let user set the maximum log size.
    Otherwise some users may not be able to see why the disk is suddenly full.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  35. VaygrEmpire

VaygrEmpire

no vpn here. I have none of vpn installed on this computer and running but still get this huge log file up to HDD size (280 gb something). obv opening this is impossible even with notepad++.

36. janimator

janimator

Having the same issue here. Unity created a log file of 232GB. Notepad++ says it's too big to open.

EDIT: I should add that this has happened to me multiple times before. This issue can cause your computer to crash of run VERY slowly. It's scary stuff.

37. zchek

zchek

Had same problem and have ExpressVPN running a lot when I'm using Unity, the log file will use all availble memory and make your PC stop functioning.