Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Desktop Unity crashing at startup while trying to allocate 15GB of memory

Discussion in '5.1 Beta' started by plink, Apr 20, 2015.

1. plink

plink

Unity 5.1.0b3 (as well as 5.0.1f1) crashes every time on startup while trying to allocate 15GBs of memory.

This issue also existed back on the RC1 pre-release beta but it was fixed shortly thereafter. This is while running Windows 7 on Bootcamp btw.

2. plink

plink

The issue still exists for 5.1.0b4. The problem can also be found when using the 32bit version except the program tries to allocate almost 25GB of memory.

3. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Can you create a bug report please? I'm hoping there's a crash dump attached to see what is going on, but this seems to be unusual as we are not seeing any such issue.

4. plink

plink

Here's the bug report case numbers: 672560, 690948, 690964, 693155.

I'm not sure if there's files attached to all of these but there should be one for 693155.

Thanks for taking a look Alex!

5. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Ok, I took a look.

With the project you provided in 693155, I can't repro it with 5.1.0b5. However, I'm doubting we did anything to fix this. The problem is the editor log isn't showing stack trace of the allocation - so I have no clues to run with.

If you do have Visual Studio installed, can you try and catch it in the debugger?
    If not, when unity is crashed in the background, can you try and pull a crash dump via task manager?

6. plink

plink

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this Alex. I don't have Visual Studio installed but I ran a crash dump in Task Manager as requested and you can download the project and the crash dump files here: *link removed*

So yeah, I don't know if you guys did anything to fix the issue or not but here's where I initially mentioned the problem. I'm also not sure if Aras looked into it after responding but I assumed that he did since the error disappeared in the next release. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...ate-1-is-available.296875/page-3#post-1964486

Thanks again for looking into this!

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  7. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Well, the crash dump helped a bit.

It's reading the file cache and trying to trim it down. However, the file in question is giving back a heck of a large value back that is getting allocated.

So, first off suspicion is, you're using a global cache and its corrupt.
    We're seeing what defensiveness we can add to the pathway here, but if you could try manually clearing your GI cache, that would be something to try and see if corruption is the issue.

8. plink

plink

Hey Alex... that did the trick! I had no idea the cache file could get so large. I'll stay on top of that from here on out.

Thank you so much for all of your help!