Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug unity crashes windows using android

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by technorocker, Oct 27, 2022.

1. technorocker

technorocker

I am using 2021.3f11 install with android and windows IL2CPP modules installed. If i switch to android soon as project opens it works. I install XR management which installs fine. Sokn as i try to setup up for oculus qiest 2 a few things are constantly causing windows to have a BSOD.

I can get oculus support for android clocmed successfully but i can never install the asset store oculus integration asset. 100% BSOD during import. So thinking it was the oculus integration package i tried to start a new project and am atte lting to use just the openXR package. While the platform was still on windows i was able to setup a starter quest 2 scene to run in play mode and have it work. Soon as i tried to switch to android platform it causes a BSOD to windows.

I do hobby development in a few other languages so i have other IDEs like android studio, vs code and a few other frameworks installed. Im curious if something may be conflicting with the android switch in Unity.

The first few tries with platform on android and using oculus when the build failed i was getting shader compiler errors which i put in 2 or 3 bug reports for each time the editor told me to create a report.

Not sure how to troubleshoot what causes the BSOD. Looked through event viewer but didnt see anything the stuck out to a specific cause.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I don't think there's a lot of parts in Unity / SDK that could BSOD the system...

About the only thing I would intuit might be a USB device driver for the Android debugger and/or
    adb logcat
    stream...

3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Usually you'd file the dump file that Windows generated for the BSOD and, open it in WinDBG and type "!analyze -v". It's unlikely Unity is causing the issue, though.

4. technorocker

technorocker

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check out the dump file. The weird part is that there was one attempt when i got it to switch to android with a very basic build and was able to do a build with warning errors, but that had nothing XR related imported or installed. So far it seems to be related to anything with XR modules installed.

I just started a fresh project right now and even with me not touching anything im getting 3 errors in the console.

Code (CSharp):
    1. RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 1 in DrawMesh
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
    the 3 errors were index 1,2 and 3. Also the last fresh project I tried to create Unity told me I had to go into safe mode to fix some sort of compile error. This is shortly after I uninstalled everything unity earlier this week and started with a fresh installation of the hub, packages and editor.

I will update this post once I see what windows dump file indicates.

5. technorocker

technorocker

So just trying some basic troubleshooting. I did do a verifier check on my drivers and was getting bsod that was pointing to the gvm.sys file which is android hypervisor. I read a bit and checked that virtualization was enabled in my bios which it was. I just tried a new project. only thing i did was switch platform to android was was successful. I then tried a build and got these errors although the build says successful...

Code (CSharp):
    1. Unable to find player assembly: F:\androidsdk\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\UnityEngine.TestRunner.dll
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object)
    3. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler:OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLsImpl (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.7.3/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:350)
    4. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler:OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.7.3/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:208)
    5. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader Compiler IPC Exception: Terminating shader compiler process
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader compiler: Compile Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FinalPost - FinalPost, Vertex Program: Internal error communicating with the shader compiler process.  Please report a bug including this shader and the editor log.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FinalPost': Internal error communicating with the shader compiler process.  Please report a bug including this shader and the editor log.
    These shader errors I was getting previously when I had XR management and oculus support installed. Now these module arent installed and still getting errors from a core template. I started a 3D URP core project btw