Search Unity

Unity crashes after update from DirectX11 to DirectX12 and won't open project

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by TheCuriousCreator, Dec 2, 2020.

1. TheCuriousCreator

TheCuriousCreator

I tried to open my project in two 2020 versions of unity and it won't do it. I cannot open my project now... and Unity won't even let me to try and open a new one (and fix the HD Render Pipline wizard), it crashes again... I cannot even report the problem, it won't send it.

2. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

Check the editor log file for more information on what might be causing the crash.

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Which exact version of 2020?
    Have you tried different options 2020 installation?
    What about 2019?

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

trueh and StopCry like this.
  5. MDADigital

MDADigital

Cant you just revert changes in git? or stash them?

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

It looks the problem is not about git repo, or project itself, but about Unity conflicting with DX12, by what OP is describing.

7. create3dgames

create3dgames

Anyone ever find a solution to this?

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

Given that the OP never provided any additional information about their crashes, Unity version, and I've been unable to reproduce the bug in the 2020 versions I've tested, I'm not sure what we'd even be trying to solve.

9. MDADigital

MDADigital

Is DX12 still in experimental? :p haha DX13 will be available before Unity get it stable :O

edit: i just tried on 2020.2.0 I can switch. But the game is just black when running in editor. VR game using OpenVR with latest XR management.

I can also change back to DX11 and the game works again

edit: btw the switch is really fast on our 60 gig project (not included library). So they have improved something there

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  10. create3dgames

create3dgames

11. StopCry

StopCry

I had to start it with ----force-d3d12, so I had to change the 11 in the command line to 12. That had helped me.

After that u need to do:

Go to Edit > Project Settings > Player settings > Other Settings. In the Rendering section, disable the Auto Graphics API for a platform (Windows/Mac/Linux) option. Click + to select DirectX11 or DirectX12 from the list of the supported Graphic APIs. For more information, see Graphics API support.

12. raw-games

raw-games

hi i came to the assumption that UNITY is not powerful enough to handle dx12 just yet, that is why its experimental. unity required a major update to support not more CPU and RAM, but to better utilize other API like unreal engine does. UNITY alone has a crashing problem due to memory leaks at times on a stable project i can get random hangs at 100% 24 threads and or a full 24gb ram out of 48 at times for no reason in dx11 so dx12 will be worse, they need to fix FSR, DLSS and add a true dx12 support i been ready to fully go ray tracing on my projects