Search Unity

Unity crashed?? What should I do?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by briantse4513, May 24, 2018.

1. briantse4513

briantse4513

Since holiday is coming, I decided to go back to try Unity. However, I immediately faced serious problem. I opened a new project but there is just the console and the project tab! I have used Unity before, I know it was abnormal, so I tried the following things:
    • update unity
    • open a new project
    Still, nothing happens. Then, I found that this symbol "<->" still exists, you know the arrows that you can use to control the size of your pages, so I try to drag them. Damn! It got worse, now new tabs appeared but they overlaid with the other (the second image in the attached files). One more thing, the console said "Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression 'SUCCEEDED(hr)' " Can someone help me? I have no idea what is going on.

Attached Files:

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

First, please learn how to take screen shots on your computer. You don't need (and shouldn't use) a phone.

The layout of tabs is not a serious problem. You can arrange them however you like. This page of the manual explains how.

To your question, "Unity crashed??", the answer is "no." A crash is when a program abruptly quits, and the OS will generally post a dialog telling you that it has unexpectedly shut down, and asking what you want to do with the crash log. That has not happened here. Unity has indeed posted an assertion failure to its console — it does this sometimes, which is annoying, but not generally anything to worry about.

Finally, you have not opened a new project. You have opened a sample project (as we can tell by the SampleScene in your Hierarchy tab). Start with a new project, or go through the tutorials. Take your time, and be patient, as there is a lot to learn. But stick with it, and you'll eventually succeed.

3. mgear

mgear

JoeStrout likes this.
  4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Oh? I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing it out! (And for the other suggestions, which are quite good too.)

5. briantse4513

briantse4513

Thank you, I truly appreciate your help. No offence but I am not quite sure you understand my problems. I originally wanted to post video in the forum to explain them but it seems like I can't. So I post the video on youtube:
    . Hope it helps.

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

OK, so yeah, there appear to be several problems there:
    1. The default layout of tabs is a bit goofy. (Not a serious problem — you can fix the layout yourself, as you did.)
    2. When you resize tabs, especially if you do it quickly, they leave screen trash behind. I've never seen Unity do that. My guess is some weird video driver issue... perhaps make sure all your video drivers are up to date?
    3. That assertion error in the console, though it's not clear this is a real problem (i.e. you can probably ignore it).
    None of these should stop you from using Unity, though I can certainly see how they'd be annoying.

EDIT: You might also try getting the latest LTS release of Unity 2017, which is less bleeding-edge than 2018 and might not have these bugs.

7. briantse4513

briantse4513

It is more than annoying. When I change to game view or put a new inspector or resize the tabs, some tabs will freeze and becomes completely useless.

8. briantse4513

briantse4513

Also, download it but it doesn't help

9. briantse4513

briantse4513

lol, I found out how to prevent this problem. I just have to add new tabs but do not put the at the corners, then it seems to work well for now.