Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Crash on Start due to EVGA's GPU monitoring software

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ngarces, Jul 19, 2019.

1. ngarces

ngarces

I downloaded Unity on a new machine for the first time and received an error when attempting to open the application. I attempted all the usual troubleshooting tricks like restarting, installing previous versions, reinstalling hub, installing unity without hub, but no matter what I received the same error with no suggested solutions. Finally, I decided to dig into the crash log data to try and isolate the issue. I google-searched lines that seemed problematic, but could not find anyone who had experienced this same issue or solved this bug. I concluded that this line below was the cause of my crashes:

PXSHW10_x64.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

I have two EVGA Geforce GTX 1070s installed and initially had some issues with the fans. To help regulate temperature when rendering scenes in Cinema4D, I downloaded EVGA's software called "EVGA Precision XOC" to help monitor and regulate these two cards. This program runs the "EVGA PrecisionX Server" and when searching under "details" in my Task Manager I was able to locate and end the task labeled "PXSW10_x64.exe" and "PrecisionXServer.exe". Once these tasks were ended, Unity opened without a problem and I could use it without any issues. I did do another test by opening the EVGA Precision XOC application while Unity was already open and, as expected, received the same crash report.

I hope someone finds this helpful, I couldn't find the solution online so I figured I'd contribute to the forum community to help future poor souls stuck in this position.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

3. ngarces

ngarces

Already did, just wanted to document the solution in case they overlook the issue.