Search Unity

Bug Unity crash on relaunch project with MARS enabled

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by samshool, Jun 7, 2020.

1. samshool

samshool

So ive troubleshooted this error on Unity 2019.3.15f1 and 14f1: After creating a URP project and importing the mars package everything works in that particular session (except shaders showing up magenta-different issue) with Mars panel and simulation/device panels open. If I close unity and relaunch, unity keep crashing (screenshot attached). It has got to do with the simulation panel, since when i close it before exiting unity, on relaunching unity wont crash. Anybody have such a strange issue?. It has either got to do with the Composite render or URP pipeline.

Quick update, once crashed the project is non-retrievable as it keeps crashing on simulation window on every launch attempt.

thanks much appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  2. JonathanNUnity

JonathanNUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi samshool,
    I have been able to reproduce the issue you are experiencing and found the easiest fix to being able to relaunch the editor is forcing a compile error in your code when starting the editor. Then fixing the error once the editor is loaded. You are still likely to get a crash when you open the editor if you leave those views open but you can just reintroduce the error. I will be looking into a fix for this issue that can go in the next release.

3. samshool

samshool

can you elaborate please on how to force the compile error when starting the editor and where....it wont let me interact with any window/console tab and crashes instantly. I keep losing projects and have to rebuild new ones and transfer my data over if i forget to close those windows..thanks!!

4. samshool

samshool

ive also tried in the latest 2019.4.0f1 LTS and same exact issue...either the simulation or device window left open , together or separate, on relaunch proj it crashes ...its a major setback for working in URP at all ... pls let us know any solution...ive made sure there are no windows 10 updates or graphic card updates...im using Nvidia 2080 RTX....so gpu shudnt be an issue if at all

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  5. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

@samshool what we meant is to add an error in any of your scripts or even add a C# file on the root of your assets folder that is missing a ";" or a bracket. This creates an error in the compiler and hence forces the layout to be reset to the default layout.

You will be adding the file / introducing a small error somewhere with unity closed (because well.. its crashing)

6. samshool

samshool

i tried what u suggested, introduced an error in a script from explorer under assets and then tried to open the unity project. same issue..crashes instantly. windows dont reset.

7. samshool

samshool

here is a new fatal error this time..this pops up and then unity crashes soon after....is anybody else having this issue with MARS on restarting unity in URP? ...we r really hoping to use MARS for an upcoming project but need to go past these basic issues!

Attached Files:

FutureSystems likes this.
  8. JonathanNUnity

JonathanNUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @samshool, we have a fix version that will be promoted soon that addresses the crash with URP. The issue unfortunately did not show up till Unity MARS was installed as a package and we are improving our testing to catch issues like this for the future.
    Thank you again for bring this issue to our attention.

9. FutureSystems

FutureSystems

YES! We got the same. We can not reopen any MARS file as soon as you undock any of the MARS Panels! The solution to this is create an new project and DO NOT undock any Panel as ridiculous as it sounds...

10. JonathanNUnity

JonathanNUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @samshool & @FutureSystems, Unity Mars version 1.0.2 has been released with a fix for the URP window crash. Please update the Unity Mars package in the Package Manager and let us know if you experience any other issue or have any other questions.

FutureSystems likes this.