Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity constantly "Importing (iteration)" problem

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by TheSenpaiCode, Aug 23, 2019.

1. TheSenpaiCode

TheSenpaiCode

Last night I was working on a canvas image and all the sudden I started having this pop up saying "Importing (iteration)" pop up after every change I do. I never seen or heard of this happening before and it constantly takes a couple seconds to save. It pop's up if I make any changes to my scene, adjust anything in the inspector or or do pretty much anything including saving a project.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

The current version of unity I'm using is 2019.3.0a10

Here is an image of what keeps popping up

2. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

I updated to 2019.3.b1 and told it to import the project I am currently working on. It does appear to be doing things, but it has been importing now for 4 or 5 hours and is on iteration 220!! This has never been an issue before.

3. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

I ended the task after 244 iterations. Deleted the Library and have reopened it. Hopefully it works now.

4. tertle

tertle

Ran into this today on b3 so it's still around.

Wasn't even a project upgrade, project was already running on b3.

I just did a manual re-import on the shadergraph asmdef and the importer keep iterating indefinitely.

5. SyedImranUnity

SyedImranUnity

I too face this issue at right now. I can't open my main project. Anyone suggest to me prevent from this issue, Anybody share the best practice of importing assets "importing iteration 2" loading issue.

6. A132LW

A132LW

This issue is still there on 2019.3 b6. I can't open my main project as well. Deleting the Library folder temporarily fixed my issue; I was then able to open Unity, but opening a shadergraph caused a crash. I am now back to the "importing iteration 2," as Unity reimports and re-imports my shadergraphs.

Has anyone made any further progress?

7. Matt-Murch

Matt-Murch

Opening an already upgraded project on 2019.3.0b8 and this is still an issue. It was ok at first, but after sitting for a few minutes it started flashing the "Importing (iteration 2)" dialogue every second or so. I had to record it on my phone's slow motion camera to even read it.

8. Matt-Murch

Matt-Murch

Tried to force quit from Task Manager, then reopened and got the "Importing (iteration 2)" dialogue as soon as the project opened. Still flickering quickly.

9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Probably should post this in the 2019.3 beta forum instead of here, since anyone from Unity looking for threads on pre-release 2019.3 issues will not be looking in this forum for them.

10. downstroypvp

downstroypvp

I have the exact same problem as op, even just changing the size of a Text mesh pro triggers this annoying popup to show.

11. wavebbs

wavebbs

I have the same issue , Did anyone knwo how to fix it ? It's lower the working efficency .....

soorya696 likes this.
  12. TheSenpaiCode

TheSenpaiCode

I fixed it by deleting and re-importing the package that caused the issue. I think I had to import them one by one rather then in a package.

13. su9257

su9257

Hi,I also encountered the same problem, and later found that there was a call to the "PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll ();" method. After blocking this function, "constant Importing (iteration)" did not occur,But I don't know the specific reason.

14. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Hopefully the asset isn't using PlayerPrefs! They really shouldn't be...

15. su9257

su9257

HI,This problem was discovered suddenly, and it took a lot of time to find it, because there were no errors or warnings. No any problem in previous use ...

16. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Previous to what?

17. Giometric

Giometric

Is this documented anywhere? I assume the issue is using PlayerPrefs from within
    OnValidate
    functions etc?

18. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

If an asset developer is using PlayerPrefs, they need to be aware that PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll will indeed delete all. Notice the "be careful" comment here https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll.html

P_Jong likes this.
  19. Giometric

Giometric

I meant more the "PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll()" during asset importing causing the import iteration loop; I misunderstood your previous post, thinking you meant that it causing the loop was intended / by design.

20. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Yes, it might indeed be causing the loop if the asset might be trying to use PlayerPrefs and if you are using DeleteAll , it could cause problems. Would be easy to test in your situation.

21. olgabo

olgabo

I encountered a similar problem when working in a prefab. it kept showing an asset progress importing popup for just a sec every time i did anything. It turned out it was the autosave on that prefab. Even though the popup shows a different prefab. i just turned auto save off and it seemed to fix it. Hope someone finds this useful

FromTheFuture and qFrct like this.
  22. Zoryth

Zoryth

I just upgraded to the release version of 2019.3.0f6 and when opening my project I'm getting this, importing (iteration 3) at the moment.

The project is big. will this iterate more times? is it intended behaviour? or should I end the process and open the project again.

Edit. I did just that and now it only imported once.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    P_Jong likes this.
  23. laurenmhowie

laurenmhowie

hey, did anyone figure out how to solve this problem? I just downloaded Unity 2019.3.0f6 and I'm having this same Asset Import iteration problem!

24. SXtheOne

SXtheOne

@JeffDUnity3D I think I found the cause of this problem - at least why it's happening in the project I'm currently working on. We are using Addressables and we call PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll() when the user starts a New Game. This tedious importing start basically every time I go to play mode and it's doing importing for minutes!
    But I found out that Addressables 1.6.0 saves info into the PlayerPrefs:

BuildScriptFastMode.cs
    BuildScriptPackedPlayMode.cs
    BuildScriptVirtualMode.cs
    AddressablesImpl.cs

I found that in the Build.. files the Addressables.kAddressablesRuntimeDataPath is set to a value and the AddressableImpl uses this value. If I just start the game without starting a New Game no importing happens on next start so it's very suspicious. And if I start a new game there is importing on the next start.

I found another file in the com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.6:
    MaterialPostprocessor.cs

This one gets a key which is the 'curUpgradeVersion' and if that doesn't equal to 'lwrpVersion' it does AssetDatabase.ImportAsset() calls.

You can find the problematic parts in the files by searching for PlayerPrefs.

iMagesBlues, P_Jong and URPian like this.
  25. Extrys

Extrys

I Found the problem / Problems that are causing this
    Normally SteamVR and OculusVR integrations has an option that autoenables it for you
    so when you are trying to uninstall your Standalone VR plugins
    you have to uncheck "Virtual Reality Supported" in player settings first

But then you realize that it enables automatically so you can not disable it
    this is the main problem when you are triying to uninstall VR Standalone plugins

there are a few steps you must follow firts before deleting them
    and i will show you what to do;

Disabling oculus "Use required project settings"
    I have it unchecked already (but you will see a tick)
    upload_2020-2-15_9-59-44.png

Disabling SteamVR "Auto Enable VR" in SteamVR_Settings ScriptableObject
    You can find it by searching SteamVR_Settings in project window
    upload_2020-2-15_10-4-43.png

And then you should be able to Disable "Virtual Reality Supported"
    And it will not auto reenable again!
    upload_2020-2-15_10-9-0.png

Then you will be able to uninstall the standalone VR packages correctly
    And then Install the New plugins from XR Management window

YAY! FIXED!

Attached Files:

P_Jong likes this.
  26. URPian

URPian

I had recently downloaded the PlayMaker equivalent of this and forgot to de-link them after testing. Thank you very much for this post! :)

P_Jong likes this.
  27. Snoolu

Snoolu

I'm going to try this after I back up my project...

28. Velo222

Velo222

I am having this same problem. But I don't use VR at all. And I'm not using PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll() function anywhere in my project either.

I am upgrading my project from a previous version to Unity 2019.3.3f1. My project is very large in size, and I've been letting my computer import for about 12 hours now, and it's still going through iterations. One screen said 1 out of 3723 and I think it goes through 10 iterations for each of these 3723 items...... that's A LOT of importing and could probably take all year, literally :D

Anyways, if anyone knows why it's doing this or a fix for it, it would be great.

Going on 13 hours and it's still importing lol.

29. Extrys

Extrys

Thats another bug that was fixed in unity 2019.3.5f1
    Updating to the last version should fix that

30. Velo222

Velo222

That would be great. I hope so. Thank you.

Extrys likes this.
  31. TextusGames

TextusGames

Iteration(version 2) importing window constanly showing up in my old project. Unity version2019.3.13

32. VirtualMaestro

VirtualMaestro

For me the same, after installing new Unity Hub 2.3.2 and Unity 2019.3.14 on Windows 10 Home

33. VirtualMaestro

VirtualMaestro

After a few reinstallations of the Unity engine, I realized that it would not help :) and I've solved in the following way:
    - completely removed all the Unity versions and UnityHub;
    - manually removed all the files on my PC which are somehow connected to the Unity or UnityHub;
    - with the help of utility like CCleaner cleaned up garbage and registry;
    - reboot the computer and install everything again;
    It works now.

34. TextusGames

TextusGames

I just switched back to asset version 1.
    And there is no Disturbing windows pop up at the center of the screen.
    But it is deprecated.
    If this thing will not be fixed I do not know how one can work on any intermediate project in asset version 2...

35. Cover-Club-Media

Cover-Club-Media

Ran into this endless iteration loop. an entire day pissed away and continues! Why is this issue still present in 2019.4?

36. VirtualMaestro

VirtualMaestro

I've found another reason for this. I'm using NordVPN and when this app is active (so I'm connected to the VPN server) Unity doesn't start (endless splash screen).

37. TextusGames

TextusGames

That is different issue.

38. EyeSeeEm

EyeSeeEm

I had this issue as well. In my case, simply disabling auto-save for the prefab fixed it.

marlin_fabervisio likes this.
  39. joe_ftg

joe_ftg

I had a custom editor script which in the OnEnable was calculating some values to save, and setting the prefab dirty. This was fine on 2018.4 but on 2019.4.2 would cause an infinite loop of trying to load/import the prefab. My workaround for now is just to comment out where it set the prefab dirty in the editor's OnEnable until I find a different way to implement it.

40. DeidreReay

DeidreReay

So Why is there no response from unity on this issue... Upgrading project to The newest LTS causes this never ending loop of importing iterations... Every time unity compiles this happens... What Do we do?? Any ideas?? WE can always go back to the version before trying the 2019.4 LTS but man why is this always a mess... Thanks in advance for any help

rodeowild and blackbird like this.
  41. TextusGames

TextusGames

Change asset database type to version 1 in settings.
    There still be some flashings, but no awful and disturbing progress pup-up at the center of the screen.

42. marlin_fabervisio

marlin_fabervisio

Thank you a lot! This fixed it for me to!

43. darthdeus

darthdeus

How did you switch to the asset database version 1? I only see version 2 with no option to switch (Unity 2020.1.3f1).

44. TextusGames

TextusGames

Version 1 is deprecated and no longer available for selection in Unity versions past 2019.4.

45. Holodia

Holodia

46. TextusGames

TextusGames

That is different issue.

47. tommasoromano

tommasoromano

Hi, I'm using Unity 2020.1.5f1 and this issue is still happening:

I'm on Windows. I opened my project from Unity Hub. The previous project version was 2019.2.17 I clicked the new version and opened the project. After hours of " Importing (iteration x) (busy for xx:xx)... " it opens but the scene is all PINK and all the files have a loading icon (I can't open any prefab nor folder).

I tried on Mac and the importing from 2019 to 2020 is successful so I pushed the correct project on GitHub, pulled the new project version to Windows but when opening it, infinite hours of importing and ends with PINK scene.

so all is fine on Mac but not on Windows.

How can I solve this?

48. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

Wow, glad I found this thread. At least now I know I'm not the only one suffering here. I am on 2019.4.5f1 and just deleting a whitespace character and saving the file in a shader throws up "Importing (iteration 2)" for about a whole solid minute.

Has anyone found any effective way around this? Going to asset db 1 isn't an option, and I'm not seeing any of the above stuff in my project.

I'm debating investing a ton of time in figuring out a way to separate code editing from unity so I only have to live through this "importing" crap once an hour or so instead of on every file save.

49. curiouspers

curiouspers

I got the same issue, found that this "Importing widow" goes away much faster if I disable this checkbox:
    Edit > Project Settings > Editor > Asynchronous Shader Compilation
    This is quite puzzling, because on 2019.1 it was faster compiling shaders with this checkbox enabled.

DavidMiranda likes this.
  50. BeginnerPlzHelp

BeginnerPlzHelp

what version are you on? im on 2020.1 or something like that mabye try to contact the unity team themselves becuse i dont think your C# code has an error or ur computer i think its just unity

unityunity