Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Connect - Thoughts and Recommendations

Discussion in 'Unity Connect' started by QuantumTheory, Dec 4, 2016.

1. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking forward to what Connect will bring in terms of visibility to devs and publishers. I'm updating my portfolio frequently and I'd appreciate your interest!

That said, I've noticed a number of things in my Connect experience that irk me as an artist. I'd like to outline them here and get your feedback:

The main issue is consistency with images. Every image I upload is compressed, resized, and therefore ugly in an attempt to fit the Connect template.

• First, the cover photo on the Activity page is set to 638x400.The same cover photo is then squished down automatically to fit the portfolio page's box at 280x210. That's not even proportional to the Activity feed's size.
    • Projects that are derived from the Asset Store take the imagery, but upscale it to fit the canvas size that's proportional to the browser size. Max width seems to be 1080. The image from the store is only 785x442. Ack!! Everyone's images from the store are blurry and don't present well. Please do not support upscaling.
    • There is an excessive and unnecessary amount of white space all over the Connect layout. When a projecti s opened, that project view is only a portion of the entire web browser's viewable area, and then images are an even smaller portion of that. Why all the white space to the right and left of images and youtube videos?
    • Images that you click on aren't downscaled when necessary.
    • The thumbnail view at the top of projects is just not helping the gestault of the page. It helps to remove it.
    • The project description can only fit three lines of text until you have to hit the "more" link. Why not just let it display everything?
    • The hastags aren't presented well. I would recommend very small text buttons for each tag.
    • I dislike the negative space between the thumbnails in the portfolio view.
    • Could we remove the "last updated" time frame in the portfolio view and keep it in the project's page? If this an art portfolio, it's a bit destructive that a project that isn't mean to be updated will have a "542 days ago" tag on it.
    • I dislike all the white color choice. Art, design, and photography portfolios look best on a darker background.

I did a mockup of what I thought the portfolio view should look like. I respect and acknowledge the importance of brand identity, so I made sure to extend the "Unity Blue" tone with my approximation, but make it prominent. I reduced the thumb padding to fit more on one line, and darkened the text field backgrounds. The important text is lighter gray while the "likes, comments, days ago" text is darkest because it should not distract from the Project thumb but still inform the viewer.

infinitypbr and Malicjusz like this.
  2. markp-unity

markp-unity

Hey Pete,

Thank you so much for this well thought out feedback. I'm going to walk the team thru this post tonight and we'll be sure to bug / task as much as possible for an upcoming release.

infinitypbr and QuantumTheory like this.
  3. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Thanks Mark! One last thing: The pages look nice when the large image at the top is extended downward so the main title ("Pete Sekula - Quantum Theory") is written over it.

infinitypbr likes this.
  4. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Since a cover photo can be a custom image that's sized appropriately, maybe cover photos should have the option of not being displayed in the project.