Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Connect shutting down - Jobs coming back to forum!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnnyA, Nov 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

https://connect.unity.com/learn-more

We launched Unity Connect almost four years ago in an effort to provide a free community tool for all users, of all experience levels, to connect with each other. While the product has a loyal following, over the years usage has declined. So, on February 4, 2021, we will retire Unity Connect. Some features, e.g. posting new content, creating job posts, will be locked prior to this date.

We understand that these changes might cause inconvenience, therefore, we have made sure to provide alternatives for some of the most popular Connect features, please read on to learn more.

Jobs
    Jobs & Freelance will also find a new home in the form of returning to Unity Forum. We are in the process of preparing them for the return and should have them live soon. Keep an eye on the forums for any updates of when this happens. Please note that your profile information on Connect will not be migrated to Unity Forum, and you will need to create a new profile.

-=-

Although certainly some drama will come back with this change for me it is a very welcome change!

IgorAherne, Rewaken, Ryiah and 7 others like this.
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

There won't be much drama, I wager. Connect was a disaster and almost everyone hated it.

undevable, Ryiah, Circool and 7 others like this.
  3. Meltdown

Meltdown

Thank goodness!

I didn't even use connect. Used the gamedevclassifieds on reddit instead.
    Having a job posting forum in a chat format was never going to work.

What's interesting is after all these years and negative feedback, that Unity didn't even re-write connect according to all the feedback received.

It didn't work out, and the feedback hasn't been great, so lets just can it!

4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I was thinking more of the drama of forum posts where people post ridiculous jobs with little or no pay, or look to hire for their first ever project that just so happens to be an MMO, etc, etc.

... although ... personally I enjoyed the combination of advice and ridicule that used to happen in the old collaboration forums :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    SisMoon, Tzan, GCatz and 3 others like this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Good. I liked the idea in theory, but the few times I visited it, it seemed way too restrictive on what you could do. I couldn't find anywhere where you could just communicate with people. I didn't try that hard though :p

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You mean that didn't happen in Connect? I only looked at it a handful of times over the years.

Yeah, but the concept of trying something and then iteratively improving it doesn't seem to have stuck with Unity's online stuff.

Surely there is existing software which could be used for freelance and contract work without Unity either writing their own (again) or throwing it back into the free-form forums? I think it's a good idea to have separate and specific support for that kind of thing.

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

Thank Cthulhu, finally. Took them long enough.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    maax511, Rewaken, Gekigengar and 5 others like this.
  8. Billy4184

Billy4184

Although job postings could benefit from a few unique features, I think they quite belong on the forums. Unity over the years has managed to achieve spectacular simplicity in things and then come in and needlessly complicate it. There's nothing wrong with chucking out something that doesn't work in my book, I wish they'd do more of it.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Well that didn't last long.

Unity really needs to lose the idea that they need to be everything to every game developer. We would do just fine without a Unity job intermediary service. Plenty of these platforms already exist elsewhere.

Unity should focus on making a good game engine and stop trying to go for every new peripheral service that pops up on their twitter feed.

undevable, Ryiah, SisMoon and 11 others like this.
  10. neginfinity

neginfinity

It lasted too long, in my opinion. They launched this thing 4 years ago, and are only killing it now.

maax511, Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  11. Westland

Westland

Isn't it an industry standard at this point ? Grow too big and start mucking up all the good stuff you've built, happening plenty other places too. Everybody has a launcher these days

Tzan, Ryiah, Martin_H and 2 others like this.
  12. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Hopefully this will be the start of pruning off all the pointless services and aquisitions that have happened since 2014 and yet ended up being entirely useless, or underused, or just altogether abandoned.

The whole one man band feel of unity increases each time they send another email or blog post saying "we now ALSO offer this service in conjunction with all the other things we do. Yes, nobody asked us for this service just like the others."

13. Moonjump

Moonjump

Unity Connect always felt hidden away where many wouldn't find it, so it is no surprise it wasn't used much.

undevable, angrypenguin and NotaNaN like this.
  14. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

Yeah, it was so hidden that when I got the email I had basically no idea what was going on.

For me, it went something like this:
    "Oh, hey! Unity Connect is shutting down! ... Waaaiiiiit... Whats Unity Connect?" o_O

I had to look it up after that.

Westland, JohnnyA and koirat like this.
  15. Tomasz_Pasterski

Tomasz_Pasterski

While was somewhat present there i dont really like idea of fragmenting the community, we have forums here, connect there and discord "that way"... too much fragmentation while i see myself always checking only the forums...

Tzan, Moonjump and Joe-Censored like this.
  16. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

I'm looking forward to seeing posts by newbies searching for unpaid full-time employees for their MMO projects on the forums again. Reminds me of the good old days. :)

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

Speaking of ideas they need to lose: they need to lose the idea that the community telling them something isn't going to work out is not just us being unwilling to change.

JoNax97, Neto_Kokku, grizzly and 6 others like this.
  18. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I've got a revolutionary idea. Going to change the industry. Need to keep the details super secret, but basically WOW with a different color scheme. Can't say much more. Need people to do all the work for free, and you're get 1% rev share. Don't worry, I sold candy bars door to door once and raised more money than all of my class (actually I ate them and my mom had to buy them all, but details). So you can depend on my marketing skills! Contact me at my email, cause I care so little about this project I can't even be bothered to check this thread again. blahblahblahblahblahthrowaway@aol.com

Westland, JoNax97, SINePrime and 7 others like this.
  19. Meltdown

Meltdown

So uhh... when is the looking for work/looking to hire forums coming back online?

neginfinity and Joe-Censored like this.
  20. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

You forgot to mention that you know the idea will be a massive success and one of biggest games upon release, because you are a gamer and play games (and therefore must know about this sort of thing, right?!) :D

Westland, Joe-Censored and Antypodish like this.
  21. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Soon I hope, I don't want to post anything in Connect ever again :)

metaldc4life and Meltdown like this.
  22. Meltdown

Meltdown

I actually went and had a look again today at connect, in the Job Seeking section.
    Usually this is bombarded with posts, but noticed only 5 or so in this month!

Wow, that's a serious drop in usage.
    I also had some suspicious messages from random people, like "Hi, your last name sounds familiar and I'd like to connect with you, email me at *@gmail.com"

Oh well :rolleyes:

Joe-Censored likes this.
  23. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

Hopefully finding partners for non-commercial products come back as well. I want the option to see someone's post history before working with them and think it's good they can see mine.

Moonjump likes this.
  24. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

I guess i will be sticking to the forums again..(which isin't bad) lol

25. Pawl

Pawl

Is there any decent way of downloading/saving a page, eg: to host on my own site after Unity Connect is gone.

I spent a ton of time putting the following page together and would love to preserve it somehow without having to painfully write the html/css to format it all nicely myself.

https://connect.unity.com/p/tilty-wings

Appreciate any tips.

EDIT: For anyone else hoping to accomplish the same thing, I ended up copy/pasting most of it into a markdown editor (eg: https://stackedit.io/) and exporting to html to host on my own site.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  26. mgear

mgear

can save page as.. in browser (complete web page), but then need to cleanup the html from any unity site references..

could also just copy & paste the webpage from browser into microsoft Word, loses most styles, but could try to fix there and save as html. (might need to check/fix image/video references into your site)

or if you use Wordpress, it wouldnt be so much work to recreate that page, with similar style.

Joe-Censored likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.