Search Unity

Video Unity compress video to bad quality

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Gosciu, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Gosciu

Gosciu

Hi

I have a little problem with importing short video to the Unity. I try to play my video with VideoPlayer Component, but I always get S***ty quality. Unity always converts my videos to OGV. In the same time, I have to set codec version to vp8 so it will work on all machines (with other codes we had issues of build crashing because of lack of codec). You can check out my import settings on the picture:

Does anybody have any idea how I should approach this problem?
    (Unity version 2018.1.9f2)

Best regards
    Mateusz

Selzier likes this.
  2. Selzier

Selzier

I got better quality by exporting to WebM format, but there are still compression artifacts and we need a solution from Unity on this one.

3. HZ51

HZ51

The same problem here. I get very poor webm quality.

4. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Same here .. suddenly playback has a ton of artifacts.. it starts off ok, but after 2 seconds the quality drops significantly.

5. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Found a fix... for the second time.

Unity really needs to address their video player problems.

My solution was:

1) Download the latest codecs. (I used the KLite codec pack)
    2) Re-Encode the video as MP4 with H.264. (I used Handbrake)
    3) Brought those back into Unity and its ok now.

Hope it helps.

6. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Not in my case. I'm using an MP4 originally rendered as an image sequence in 3ds Max, which was then sent to Vegas for MP4 encoding using 1080p web quality settings. The original looked great, but in Unity's video player it was compressed and pixelated. After running it through Handbrake, nothing changed. What finally worked for me was transcoding it in Unity to H264 or H265 at the high quality settings.

7. mjadon1029

mjadon1029

Well, there are lots of reasons due to which video quality reduce after compressing the size of the file. Here on google, i have found an article on a video compressing guide to reduce the size of the file in HD quilty hope it helps you.