Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Compatible VR Devices

Discussion in 'VR' started by nexy1000, Sep 4, 2018.

1. nexy1000

nexy1000

I wanted to get into virtual reality development with Unity. I'm looking at which VR headset to buy (HTC VIVE, Oculus Rift, etc.) Which VR devices are compatible with Unity development?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

All of them. But personally, my favorite is the Oculus Go.

3. nexy1000

nexy1000

How would I make the VR system work with Unity? (Plug it into my PC, wireless, downloadable, etc.)

4. gjf

gjf

Shame there's no Unity Remote... Did you find any workable solution to the sideload issue? Iterating on near complete builds (>400MB) is soul destroying - way too slow.

Any advice on large scenes apart from (obviously) simplifying assets?

5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hmm, my apk is 330 MB, but it only takes maybe 30 seconds to build to the device. And I don't do that all that often — most testing, I do in the editor. (I've written scripts that let me imitate head and controller inputs with the mouse and keyboard.)

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Sorry I missed this last week! You just plug it into your PC, and build (cmd-B) to it. Here's a getting-started guide. (Note that it's not necessary to use the Oculus Utilities — I prefer not to, myself.)

7. gjf

gjf

The build time isn't much more but a long way from running in the editor like we can on the Vive.

We have mouse/keyboard too for most testing but some things require real hardware.

I'm really surprised that there's no remote style app or at least a way to connect the controller to the editor (the BLE connection seems to drop almost immediately when trying to connect)... like I need another rabbit hole to dive down to make something ;)

Schnieder likes this.
  8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's true, either of those would be really nice. But I'm not diving down that rabbit hole, either!

9. OxygenBreather

OxygenBreather

Can I use psvr with unity. If so, how can i connect it to my computer? My computer is a windows 10 laptop. Thanks.

10. Solovykh

Solovykh

You can, but you'll need to get a development kit (a PlayStation meant for development) from Sony and get a developer license from them as well.

11. eclipse130300

eclipse130300

Hello, is there a tutorial for plugging and setting different VR headsets for unity?

12. was4fun

was4fun