Search Unity

unity compared to blender.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clone Dad, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Clone Dad

Clone Dad

I downloaded blender3d, and i loved the ease of use of the game engine. :)

Now i come across unity...is this game engine easy to use like blender is? does it use opengl or directx? what kind of graphics can it achieve? ps1? ps2?

well enough of that....hope you can enswer my questions :)

2. jeremyace

jeremyace

Heck, Unity is probably the easiest engine around. Unity renders with openGL (as it is a mac engine).

I will let someone else comment on the graphic quality level, but I can say this, you are pretty much only limited by the end user's hardware. You have access to a complete shader language, so almost anything you want to do you can do, within reason.

Hope that helps, and I am silightly biased, but I love Unity.

-Jeremy

3. Sync1B

Sync1B

If you found blender game engine easy, this should be a cake walk. I attemped to use the blender engine, had a headache doe days...

Graphically you can do some pretty good looking stuff. The standard shaders are very good looking. Can you get ps2 or better? Sure, but like jeremy said it really is limited to the end users hardware. You could make next gen looking stuff, I think it boils down to artistic ability and time.

A few things that should be noted for next gen grpahics is the absence of shadows, bloom affects, and a ready made LOD system. The bloom shader (I think) will come soon. Shadows will come one day (that day may be far off) and LOD is pretty easy to set up using multiple cameras, there is a thread on that some where. There are some problems with using that method though, it doesnt look to good. Hope that helps.

Bill

4. Clone Dad

Clone Dad

too bad this engine isn't open source....

5. Sync1B

Sync1B

Although open source is nice for some things it tends to be hard to get things done, or started for that matter. I would doubt that unity would be as far as it is, or as easyer to use as it is with out otee getting paid. Thats just my two sense. :D

Bill

6. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yeah, I'll second that. Besides, I've never spent $250 as easily as I did when I bought Unity. Hands down the best development team and user community I've ever encountered. That might be partially because of the relatively small user base at the moment, but I don't think so. This is a killer app and it has a great crew behind it that deserves to get paid for their efforts... and with free updates until 2.0 (with significant incremental 1.x.x updates coming every couple of months) it's a great deal.

2 more cents

7. Sync1B

Sync1B

Yes 4 cents!