Search Unity

Unity Community Art Challenge - October 2014 - The Island

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Daksmith

Daksmith

This is probably my final submission. Early night for me, if i have time tomorrow, i might just add a few things to the top of the island. Anyways i think my island was rather simple, but for its about easing myself back into using Autodesk Maya / 3ds Max(which was the real reason why i bothered to join the competition).

Its been a good competition, the only con was i only had two weeks to design the island. But then a deadline is a deadline, if there was none we would be design the island forever till its 100% perfect.

This will be a good stepping stone for next month competition, hopefully i can produce a better and more clean model :D.

P.S: I need to practice UV texturing in Maya again and light baking.

2. happs

happs

yeah, low poly :)
    your model looks cool!

3. happs

happs

Hi Constructidecepticon, I love your texture work and very organised uv layout, so beautiful!

Just wondering how did you create your diffuse map for this model. Was it done in photoshop or sculpted using zbrush? I'm exploring this type of painted style texture , and hopefully can apply it for my next model. :D

4. Constructidecepticon

Constructidecepticon

Hi happs

Glad you like it. This is a practice for me hand painting over low poly.

After the modelling and uvmapping without any overlappping I did extract the AO via Maya. Added some gradients in PS and start overpainting the details following the general shape of the shading.
    The tricky part was the stairs for what I created a tileable rock texture, but quite plane one, and then placed around following the shape of the uvmap

Normally I would do that overlapping the steps over and over the same texture but I liked overpaint the different accidents in this part of the model plus have everything done in one map

5. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I can't guess which ones will win, they all look cool. :D

raven99 likes this.
  6. Daksmith

Daksmith

I like yours too. Makes me want to learn how to use blender, it looks so fun!

raven99 likes this.
  7. Constructidecepticon

Constructidecepticon

Ditto.

Also Blender will be my next package to learn. Very complete piece of software I heard

8. InesAlice

InesAlice

Everyones islands are looking amazing :)
    I ran into some complications with mine but I'll be done and upload it in a bit :confused:

9. NomadKing

NomadKing

Finally done! All these entries look great so far :)

Not 100% happy with the texturing, but times up so it'll have to do. I think it came out ok for my 1st attempt at hand-painted texturing:

Going to write up a blog post about my entry after I get some sleep!

Edit: Blog done. Read it Here

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  10. raven99

raven99

I couldn't agree more! Great job everyone! :)

InesAlice likes this.
  11. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

hi,here is my final entry.
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="
    " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-weight: normal; margin: 5px; color: #4A4A4A;">
    <a href="
    " target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Kingdom of the Eternal Sunset</a>
    by <a href="https://sketchfab.com/emmanem2099?u...utm_campaign=37411ebfc8e84d00a9c4d22c83c2e4a4" target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">EMMANEMSAURIO REX</a>
    on <a href="https://sketchfab.com?utm_source=oe...utm_campaign=37411ebfc8e84d00a9c4d22c83c2e4a4" target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Sketchfab</a>
    </p>

Attached Files:

12. InesAlice

InesAlice

My final entry.
    This is one stubborn project, more of a trick than a treat lol, some models disappeared, and some rotating all over the place, then textures went crazy… They show fine in Blender's render and texture mode. Fixed what I could but the rest is beyond me sadly. Happy Halloween everyone. :)

Here's a few screenshots of what didn't make it into Sketchfab:

IMG_01112014_001125.png IMG_01112014_001300.png IMG_01112014_001501.png

13. happs

happs

Thanks for sharing! wow, I'm so motivated to do a hand painted texture in the next proj.

Constructidecepticon likes this.
  14. joseguilherme

joseguilherme

So sad guys, can't get out with sketchfab, plug-in is not wokring, probally i did sometihg wrong.

good luck everyone!

raven99 likes this.
  15. joseguilherme

joseguilherme

All right guys, out of time!
    I have to put one by one obj and material and I haven't no idea that sektchfab does not support .psd, maybe if I pay more atention.

Anyway, my scence have a skydone ( no sou good idea too!) just zoom in it to see : D.
    This is so far away to be a done, I really wanna push me to participate more stuff like that, so much to learning so much to see.

Now is time to hang out! Good halloween to everyone!

So, this is Mein Land!

16. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Good job everybody! This Challenge is officially over now. Winners will be announced soon (Monday). New challenge will be opened today!

17. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

And the Winners of the "Island" Challenge are:

1st Place = @NomadKing with Turtle Island

2nd Place = @Constructidecepticon with Flying Island

3rd Place = @happs with Freshwater Island

Congratulations once again! Well done everybody. A shame that some didn't finish their entries!! Hope to see everybody in the new challenge!

Thomas

raven99, overthere, NomadKing and 3 others like this.
  18. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Congrats everyone! :D

19. Constructidecepticon

Constructidecepticon

Congrats everyone! That was a lot of fun for me. I am very inspired to keep creating these dioramas. Love the process.

I really love the pieces we saw in this contest.

Thank you very much guys.

R.

Thomas-Pasieka and NomadKing like this.
  20. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

So much fun on these challenges,congrats to everyone! Hope to see you in the new challenge! :)

21. NomadKing

NomadKing

Oh wow, didn't see that coming! Thanks guys :)

There were a lot of nice entries in this one, especially those that joined late and still got something out the door. Good job all round!

Have to agree with @Constructidecepticon, love the process of creating these dioramas - takes me back to Warhammer collecting days :p

22. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Congrats to everyone, especially the winners. You all did a great job.

23. happs

happs

Congrats everyone! I had lots of fun in this challenge and it's very motivating to see all of us able to generate so many interesting ideas and art styles here. Cheers to all and hope to see you in the new challenge! ^^

24. InesAlice

InesAlice

Congratulation guys, well deserved :)

raven99, NomadKing and ChrisSch like this.
  25. raven99

raven99

This contest was an inspiring one. It was fun getting those creative juices flowing. Congrats everyone! :D

NomadKing likes this.
  26. Gooseman_1977

Gooseman_1977

wow, Congrats guys. I love the 2nd place entry!!