Search Unity

Unity Community Art Challenge - November 2014 - The Magical Crate

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crolock

Crolock

Hello, I just start to block out my entry for the contest. It's a statue ( mix between Persepolis gryphon and other influences ) with a crate floating between it's claw. The crate is chained to the ground, levitating. It's a big stone box, circled with iron and chains.

Hope you will like it. I will stream most of the process on twitch.

Edit: The dropbox link was not public..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. C10110

C10110

Crolock, I can't see your image. It might be my connection but it's not loading :(

I was just linked here by the Unity Facebook Page, and am totally thinking of participating! I just have a quick question. Are we allows to just particles? Or animations? Or does it have to be a static object no movement of any kind? I've never used that plugin/ site you guys are using to host artwork before. So I guess that might be the reason, but I was hoping to do something creative with movement.

3. Frogames

Frogames

It's not your connection, I can't the image. Broken link I think.

4. C10110

C10110

Okay, well, I look forward to seeing what Crolock made!

Also, Frogames! Your crate was the one Unity linked us to on Facebook! Awesome work man! It defiantly was what motivated me to want to participate! Such incredible artwork! I want to see that thing running around a level making noises now haha.

5. Frogames

Frogames

thank you for the kind words :)

6. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

There is nothing stopping you from animating your entry and show a video but it's not taken into consideration when judging the final "Static" model/mesh.

7. Crolock

Crolock

Thank's for the info. If I have some extra time I will probably make some basic animation in blender to test it. ( I am switching from maya.. )

I have change the host service, should work now..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  8. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

This is an early WIP - still a lot to do... I'm not happy with the basic shape and proportions yet, probably will lose the double tongue. And then I'll rig it and pose it too - it's going to be an enemy in my game as well, eventually.
    wipPic1.jpg

NomadKing, Frogames and ChrisSch like this.
  9. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

They're probably silently cooking up something. :D

My guess is a few more will join in in the last two weeks. Remember peeps you have to post at least one WIP pic before the final thing.

10. luucastadeu

luucastadeu

@Frogames - I liked the hobbit reference! Just to tell you someone noticed! lol

11. Frogames

Frogames

12. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

@Crolock - Nice! Gryphons are awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing where that goes...

Retopo of main body done with UVs and some bakes . . . Gotta get the teeth in and I will probably end up doing a little base.

I'm interested to see how this will look with a fairly simple shader in sketchfab. :confused:

raven99, NomadKing, Sketchfab and 2 others like this.
  13. Crolock

Crolock

@VertexFiend Very nice, the flesh is awsome. And same thing for the shader, I discovered that sketchfab doesn't support PBR. ( for the moment.. ) So back to the root: diff/spec/gloss \0/

VertexFiend likes this.
  14. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Coming soon!! https://labs.sketchfab.com/siggraph2014/

VertexFiend and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  15. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

@Crolock - Thanks Crolock! This has been a fun little test. I'm not really a character guy for the most part I mainly do hard surface environment stuff. You can really get things looking pretty nice out of spec/gloss even without PBR. I actually did a little test last night to see what it would be like getting it into sketchfab. I'm pretty happy with the results.

@Sketchfab - Wow! that's great! That will be fun to play with when it is available . . . Any ideas when that might be available?! ;)

16. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@VertexFiend - That's looking really great there with textures and all even without PBR ;)

VertexFiend likes this.
  17. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

@VertexFiend end of the year *fingers crossed*

And it looks awesome!! :D

VertexFiend likes this.
  18. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Hi all , Im very busy on contract work but I managed to get some time in a think up something obscure - now need to think about how else to embellish the concept

19. Daksmith

Daksmith

Been a while since i posted here.

I have been slightly busy, but here is my progress so far.
    After adding some colours to some of my concepts, i started the basic modelling.

Also i started experimenting with Light maps / lighting setup and currently trying out glass textures. A long way to go, but lets see how it goes.

Attached Files:

shaderbytes and Frogames like this.
  20. Gooseman_1977

Gooseman_1977

haha.. this is hilarious (in a good way).. I think we have a potential winner on our hands.

VertexFiend likes this.
  21. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

@Gooseman_1977 - Thanks man!

Worked a little on a base / diorama thing a bit -

Not sure yet what I'm going to put on the sign yet . . . probably some thing like " < treasure! " . . . " Treasure INSIDE!"

Hope to button this up soon-ish.

NomadKing and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  22. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

raven99 and VertexFiend like this.
  23. redpanda

redpanda

VertexFiend likes this.
  24. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Very nice work once again @VertexFiend It's really getting there isn't i?

Where are others with their entry? Come on folks! These Challenges are an excellent way to create Portfolio pieces or even Asset Store Assets! Get cranking folks!

VertexFiend likes this.
  25. NomadKing

NomadKing

Sadly it looks like I'll have to put my crate back into storage for this month - other things have eaten up the time I'd put aside for this.

Look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up :)

26. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

So . . . I think I may be just about done. I may make a few tweaks before the end.

27. Frogames

Frogames

VertexFiend likes this.
  28. Daksmith

Daksmith

Been busy things come up.

Anyways this is what i have done so far.
    Not as good as you guys, especially Vertex Fiend!(yours is amazing, totally deserve to win!).

Above render is too shiny XD, but i will keep trying!

29. Frogames

Frogames

@kumakie cool, I like the transparency!

30. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Less than a week left! These crates are looking awesome, but we'd love to see those WIPs become Final :D

VertexFiend likes this.
  31. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

@Frogames - Thanks! It's fun making something disgusting from time to time. :D

@kumakie - Thanks for the kind words! It's too bad you didn't have more time to spend on your crate. I like your concept and where you were going with this. Very mystical and mysterious!

Here is my final submission -

Beauty shot real-time in Toolbag2 -

. . . another in Unity5 beta 14 :) -

. . . and the Sketchfab model -

It was fun participating! I look forward to seeing all of the final work and more challenges in the future!

32. Daksmith

Daksmith

@VertexFiend

Thanks, well i have this weekend to at least finish it.

Shame there isn't much time to develop it further, but on the bright side at least it was fun trying to figure how play around with the transparency and materials.

Hopefully next competition(if there is one at christmas) I will be able to balance this along with my other projects + christmas chaos(of course).

33. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

It's looking pretty unlikely I'll have the time to finish my entry before the deadline - my life has suddenly tripled in busyness... Maybe I'll find a bit of time this weekend, maybe.

34. mrgesy

mrgesy

Here's my WIP for my Shoji Magic Crate concept, I'll be done by tomorrow :D

35. Sazem

Sazem

Ok I dedicated to join too. Havent modelled really in years, so took me week to grasp the stuffs on Blender. Mostly done in it including texture paints etc. Finally I didnt get those athmosphere stuffs, just didnt get alpha channels work between Blender and sketchfab and Im bit tired to concentrade on anymore tutorials :)

I think I was the most un-imaginative :D

Concept Sketch:

Wip:

VertexFiend, Frogames and Daksmith like this.
  36. Daksmith

Daksmith

Right this is my submission now.

Just added a cave and a few things. Wish i could do more, but i am out of time.
    Its been a interesting month, lets see if i have time next month.

VertexFiend and Frogames like this.
  37. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Good stuff everyone. Today is the final! Make your submissions! New Challenge is going to start tomorrow!

38. roboy

roboy

Is this competition not in the lines of game art?

3. Polycount Limitation for this Challenge is 20.000 Vertices. Only ever use as many polygons as necessary to define a shape! This is a game art challenge after all! Make use of normal maps etc to give your textures/meshes more detail.

I don't mean to burst your bubble @VertexFiend but that is no where near a game object. I'll give you props on the creativity front but damn does that need to cut down on the polycount.

I'm basing this from the wireframe of the Sketchfab model - so perhaps you made a low poly version which I missed.

Great stuff overall everyone and way to go Unity for doing these competitions, looking forward to the next one! :D

39. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

@roboy - The model with all of the props and base comes in at 19.3k verts. You can validate the count on its Sketchfab page here. It is well within the specs of the competition.

That's a very subjective judgement. Would it be appropriate for a mobile game? No, definitely not. Would it work in a current gen or PC title? I would say it would. For an organic "hero" model that could be the focus of a game area or boss level, it is not excessive. I used the polygons necessary to make the shape look smooth and well defined. I then applied textures and normal maps to add even more detail from the 2 million + vertex source model.

mrgesy likes this.
  40. roboy

roboy

Well again, you wouldn't find a game having a "crate" that goes up to 38.5k faces - even in current gen or PC, this is just simply too much detail where it's not needed.

You could have easily reduced the polycount and still have retained the smoothness.

Good luck on the competition anyhow! :D

41. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Alright folks let's not argue about the Poly count :) The rules are pretty clear so as long as you're within the limit it's all good. However, one should always optimize as best as possible and in VertexFiend's case I see a lot of room for optimization ;) However, he stayed within the limits.

The Challenge is now officially closed. Winners will be announced soon... Thanks for participating everybody!

Thomas

42. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Alright so it has been decided... the winners are.....

1st. Place = @Frogames

2nd. Place = @VertexFiend

3rd. Place = @Sazem

The guys from Sketchfab will get in contact with you! Congrats once again and thanks for participating!

Thomas

43. Frogames

Frogames

\o/

Thank you vey much, and good job everybody!

Sazem, VertexFiend and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  44. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

@Frogames - Congratulations! Excellent work for a well deserved win! :)

I'm looking forward to using the features of my pro Sketchfab account!

Good work and congratulations to everyone who took the time and effort to participate!

45. Frogames

Frogames

VertexFiend likes this.
  46. Sazem

Sazem

Best won definitely ! :) Awsome entries from everyone!

Im really happy that I dedicated to join because I got my motivation to make 3d models again. I wouldnt have pushed myself to watch all those hours of Blender tutorials without the competition push & deadline.

Lets see you guys on next contest ;)

raven99 likes this.
  47. NomadKing

NomadKing

Congrats to the winners! Another set of great entries :)

48. Frogames

Frogames

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.