Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Community Art Challenge - May 2015 - The Shroom Of Doom

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, May 3, 2015.

1. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

Thanks NomadKing, something like this?!
    Still trying and trying.... few free to critic!

2. thehood

thehood

Still not happy with it but maybe I should leave it like it is now and start working on my game again ;)

3. Serinx

Serinx

That looks incredible, I need to learn how to do that!

The mushroom looks a bit organic, is that what you were going for or was it meant to be an actual explosion?
    Perhaps some emission on the "stalk" and a bit on the upper cloud would help.

4. Serinx

Serinx

That's such an awesome style, how do you do the thick black outlines?

5. thehood

thehood

The outlines are a copy of the same mesh, scaled along normals (in Blender: Shrink/Fatten), with normals flipped and a black material.

MattGen likes this.
  6. Serinx

Serinx

Oh wow nice trick, I'll have to remember that, does that double your vert count?

7. thehood

thehood

Yes, after I did that I looked at the vert count and it was exaclty 6000! Couldn't believe it. Too bad that I don't have more left for all the small shrooms ;)

Serinx likes this.
  8. NomadKing

NomadKing

@thehood I think it looks good. The outline trick works well with the texture style you've gone for :)

@Rafmorais Very dramatic! I think stuff in the middle could be a bit brighter. Considering its the source of light / energy in your scene it seems a little dull.

9. Serinx

Serinx

Had a little time to fix up some texture and normal problems and rig this guy. Forgot to add his the tail!

Anyone know why he looks blocky when rendered in blender even though the shading is set to smooth?
    You can see it in his right leg.

D-Shroom Render 1.png

10. thehood

thehood

Does it look smooth if you disable the textures?

11. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

@Serinx Hey man, thanks! Yeah the shroom was supposed to look like a shroom hehe so thats why it feels organic, does it make sense? Some emission on the "stalk", sorry but what is the ''stalk'' hehe. Also, I'll try some emission on the clouds!

@NomadKing Hey there, thanks again for the help. I'll play more with the lighting of the scene. Also I was doing a few tests withing sketchfab and I'll use some nice post FX to add more drama to this scene.

@thehood Really nice job, it seems that just come out from a Telltale game, congratulations.

some lighting tests...

also, I was baking the lightmaps using the sketchfab plugin for max, but the results are not as good as I expected, does any one have experience with baking lightmaps for sketchfab, is it pretty much the same as for other aplications?

NomadKing, Serinx and thehood like this.
  12. Serinx

Serinx

It's the main stem or trunk of the mushroom, but since it's organic it might not make sense to add emission :p

I'll need to check that, it looks smooth until it's rendered with lights. At first I thought I'd baked the normals onto the flat basemesh, rebaking onto smooth seemed to work until I looked at the render with lighting. It looks fine in sketchfab though... weird.

Rafmorais likes this.
  13. NomadKing

NomadKing

While I like the extreme lighting in the first one, I think the 2nd strikes a better balance of colours.

For my previous contest entries I've got the best results by baking my lighting in Unity then flattened it into the diffuse in whatever graphics software you use. This does require that the entire scene is uniquely UV'd, but the added bonus is you can correct / alter / draw over the results to give you exactly what you want.

14. led2012

led2012

Done with my Doom Shroom :D
    and added some annotations on it :p
    I really enjoyed editing the scene on sketchfab

15. Serinx

Serinx

@led2012 that looks incredible!

Hey everyone here's my entry,

Learnt a lot of new things while putting this together. Way under the poly budget for this one but I don't have enough time to do anything more!

Thanks everyone for your support and inspiring work, this is a really great community. Hope to be as good as some of the people posting here one day!

16. capodraven

capodraven

Hi Everybody! how are u with this worl? From What I see, you all have great entries, I like what I see!

So here is my WiP for setuping the sketchfab scene. Need to keep working on the Shroom, but for the earth I like what it looks like.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  17. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Damnit. I'm sorry I could not participate. Life got in the way. :(

18. led2012

led2012

now I'm excited for the next theme :D

19. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

@led2012 Wohow! Amazing VFX there mate, congratulations on this amazing entry! You forgot to tag your entry ucac9!
    @Serinx Very charismatic shroom mate! I really liked the cartoonish texture style, my only critic would be on the normal maps, I dont think they're necessary for this character. Nevertheless nice entry! =]
    @capodraven hahah man this is looking so cool! The opening earth was a clever touch! I'd just try to fix that normal seam on the stalk of the shroom. Nice entry! You forgot to tag your entry ucac9!

@NomadKing thx again for the tips! I ended up creating them all in 3dsmax!

Here is mine!

THanks for all the help and support

20. led2012

led2012

I've already tagged it, on the actual TAGS input in sketchfab...it's not just on the title, but it is already tagged

21. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

Yeah, but when I was browsing the sketchfab and searched for ucac9 your's was not there, I just thought that I should give you a heads up!

22. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

Hi! here is my final entry. Great job everyone!. Hope to see more participation next month!;)

23. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Last day guys! Make sure to Tag your entry accordingly (UCAC9) so it shows up on this page:

https://sketchfab.com/models?q=UCAC9

I have to say that I expected far more entries for this months Challenge! I think I may give everybody a break next month and not run the Challenge....

Thomas

24. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

Oh noes, sad news for us challengers lovers! haha
    but I can understand you.

25. led2012

led2012

would really be awesome if the pages reach up to 10 pages when the challenge resumes again after the break.. I think we need to promote the challenge on twitter too, with the tag #UCAC #unity3d #gamedev #gameart next time , It looks like few people actually know that the art challenge is happening

essimoon2 likes this.
  26. essimoon2

essimoon2

That's exactly what I think, too! Let's get some promotion up for the upcoming challenges :D
    Also congrats to everyone who finished already and good luck to the remaining guys in the final hours.

27. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

In addition to @led2012 , I think it would be helpful if the link on the forum overview page would be adjusted:

At the moment it's still linking to the February challenge......

Perhaps the site's mainpage can have a link to the challenge? And announce it in the newsletter again, with the theme? Maybe the Unity blog can have a special about the monthly challenge? I noticed the challenge hasn't been posted on Unity's facebook page while the page is quite popular (or at least so it seems :) ).

I know there's a new magazine called UNT3DMag (http://www.unt3dmag.com/). They have a weekly newsletter besides the magazine and they regularly have something about Unity in it, so that's definitely worth a shot.

Although I don't think I'll be doing any art creation for a new challenge the coming (probably) two months (I've still got my chest to finish from last months challenge and I've got a high concept GDD to finally finish), I'll tweet about it and post about on my blog :) Every little bit helps, right?

As for the current entries, I think I like the Shroom "mother" from @led2012 the most, closely followed by the Toon one. Everyone did great work, btw! I admire it all :)
    Is it correct that I'm missing Toad from Super Mario? I thought there was an entry with that too?

Have fun & Good luck everyone!

28. capodraven

capodraven

Hello EveryOne!!! Here is my final entry! I hope the tag is working in sketchfab, if someone can tel if its okay or just check it?

So as it's a diorama, I deleted the clouds on the top, I prefere see the top volcano clean to look inside. and I've added some liquid porjections on the mounth and lava projection on the top. I hope you'll like it! Because guys, I like your works ^^ GG everybody!

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  29. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

30. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

That is in fact the correct way/link: https://sketchfab.com/tags/ucac9

Entries should always be tagged.

31. rebit

rebit

Hi, i lost the time of this challenge to participate, how to know about the next ? Any atuomatic newsletter to sign ?

32. capodraven

capodraven

@Sheriziya Thank you! Glad you like it ^^
    I've checked if it's well tagged, it's ok ^^
    Now waiting for the results ;-)

33. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Challenged is closed now folks. We shall announce the winners soon.

Rafmorais and NomadKing like this.
  34. Cubox_10

Cubox_10

I feel bad for myself .... i had no time to make my concept. I have 3 days left of my 2 week long exams :(. so I really had no time to make something. I hope the next challenge is more spectacular and within my fantasy :p because I would probably have plenty of time:) Nice work guys I've seen such amazing work. I'm curious for the results

35. dreamhead

dreamhead

good luke guys may the best entry win,unfortunately i had no time for finishing my entry

36. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

37. NomadKing

NomadKing

Congrats guys :)

38. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

39. led2012

led2012

Woah. I won, and I'm really excited to try mesh materializer once i get on the pc :D
    Congrats to the other winners too..we need to spread word that there is such thing as this challenge, so maybe in 2-3 months,when the challenge resumes again there would be triple or quadruple the participants..

40. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

Congratulations guys! Nice entries!
    thank you very much for the sponsor prizes @Arkhivrag. I'll be sure to check mesh materializer! =]

NomadKing and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  41. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

NOTICE: Due to lack of participation and other circumstances there won't be a June Challenge. If you have ideas/input on how to get the word spread and have more people participate then feel free to voice your opinion here.

Personally, I believe that these challenges serve as a means to create something for your portfolio ever month. This in return will help with job hunting. Additionally you can sell your finished piece in the Asset Store! There are so many great reasons to participate! On top, we have prizes you can win every month... so what's the issue? Why don't we see more people taking part here?

Thomas

Rafmorais likes this.
  42. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Not sure, but maybe a "bridge" to the polycount forums could bring in some new people to this monthly challenge.
    I'd love to paticipate, but I'm no artist unfortunately. ;)

Rafmorais likes this.
  43. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

Yeah a bridge with polycounters would definitely improve the numbers. But sometimes people are not interested by the theme, or dont have enough time to throw on a contest, I really cant tell.
    I'm buried in freelance work now, but as you said Thomas, its a nice place to learn and create personal art, so I've tried to conciliate the job and the personal stuff, and to be honest, i wont do anything personal in June because I'm a lazy stupid guy who isnt self motivated for the past 3 years! So please, throw us another contest when possible! I'll definitely help to spread the word!

randomperson42 likes this.
  44. essimoon2

essimoon2

Congrats to all the winners! Some really amazing stuff you did there! :D
    A shame there won't be a June challenge. After continually participting since December (and due to piles of contract work) I took a little break this time but I definitely would have joined in June again.
    I understand the reasons though. I really don't think people have personal retentions that keep them from participating or are not interested. It just looks like not enough people know about it. A bridge to polycount is a great idea! I suggest to also use other social media networks like twitter (maybe try to establish a hashtag for it) or facebook. From my own experience I know they work great to make a topic grow over time.
    Since Sketchfab is a regular partner maybe they could use their voice as well to get the challenge known better.
    Looking at previous challenges it seems that people rarely participate regularly. People who try to join each month (like myself xP) seem to be rare so if there isn't a constant flow of new people who know about this challenge participants will probably decrease.

Well, just my two cents. When there'll be a new challenge I'm gonna contribue my part and share it regularly on twitter since that's my main way of communicating :D

45. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

oh! Thanks! congrats to all!.yeah, i will spread the word to gain participants next time... see you soon!

46. Cubox_10

Cubox_10

A polycount bridge would definitely do a lot. And maybe a post on the Unity facebook page about the winners or something and when new challenges get anounced. And ofcourse this is a great chance to make good portfolio pieces with a great cause.. UNITY ! Maybe some tips for next challenges (some themed challenges in a specific game style like they do on polycount) And maybe different categories like characters and props or environment. This way you draw more attention to people because they can focus on their own skills and challenges. Characters artists will participate faster on a character challenge than they would on a environment challenge.

This way there can be multiple challenges every month.
    And if you want it more active throw some day challenges on the site? or a week challenge.

Actually I'm kinda sad now :p I was looking forward to the June challenge. That would have been the challenge I had time for :p oh well maybe the July challenge is much more epic than the June would have been:p

47. Teessider

Teessider

I certainly agree with partnering with the polycount forum would be pretty cool and would definitely bring in more numbers.

Personally I've just been soooo busy over the past few months that I haven't had a chance to have a good go at the art challenges! A twitter hashtag would be cool and as said previously - somehow involving unity and sketchfab more to spread the word on this? :)

Maybe there could be a choice between two themes a month? or have a selection of themes we could mash up?

I was actually hoping to start the June challenge since work has quietened down for me but nevermind! :)

48. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Congrats to all winners! I love all the work :)

About more publicity for the challenge..... I'm not exactly sure. I have made some suggestions already.

Further, I think I only saw one Twitter post about the challenge. I think it was yours, Thomas. A couple more tweets from Unity and perhaps the sponsors of the particular month, tagged with things like #gamedev, #indiegame, #gameart, etc. could also help.

Perhaps also a post to other forums, like the Blender artists, Zbrush/Sculptris, Maya, could help. Although I do know ZBrush has its own challenge forum as well. I don't know if that would conflict with one another. Also, I don't know if that's too specific of a software.

If I come up with more ideas, I'll post them here :)

49. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hey guys. Thanks so much for chiming in here. Keep those thoughts/ideas coming! Does anyone know or have contacts to the guys who run the Polycount site?

50. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Oh, and in three weeks there's Unite Europe. Maybe a "ball can be dropped" there too? Not exactly sure how, but you'll have a lot of people there. Don't know how many artists though. It's my first time going there.