Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Community Art Challenge - January 2015 - Thor's Hammer (Mjölnir)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Unity Technologies is happy to announce it's next "Unity Community Forum Challenge"! Everybody is welcome to join in and show other fellow artist what they can do and compete for the First Place!

This months Challenge is themed "Thor's Hammer - ". We all have seen various depictions of Thor's Hammer throughout comics and movies! Now is the time to let your creative juices flow and design a new look for "Mjolnir" (Thor's Hammer). Use your imagination! Impress us with your creativity and imagination. Let's see something new and fresh!

As a result we want to see a beautiful small Diorama/Turntable of your version of "Mjolnir"! If you aren't familiar with the lore please check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjölnir

Post Work in Progress Screenshots or even use Sketchfab to present your work in progress. See rules below.

1. Participants will have till the end of the month (January, 31th) to submit their Final Entry

2. Final Entry must be a "Diorama/Turntable" showcasing the theme "Thor's Hammer - Mjolnir". We ask that you use Sketchfab to post your final result here on the forum.

3. Polycount Limitation for this Challenge is 5.000 Vertices. Only ever use as many polygons as necessary to define a shape! This is a game art challenge after all! Make use of normal maps etc to give your textures/meshes more detail.

4. You can use normal maps, specular maps etc to enhance your work visually. Perhaps try to combine textures onto one texture sheet if possible for efficiency, however it's not a requirement. There is no restriction on how many textures you can use but keep in mind that this is a game art challenge so don't go too crazy.

5. Entrants must post at least 1 WIP (Work in Progress) Screenshot before submitting their Final Entry. We suggest you post more and get feedback! Please visit https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/sections/200485707-Uploading-3D-Models for further information on how to use and upload to Sketchfab.

6. Your final entries must be submitted through Sketchfab. Please tag your final submission with: "UCAC5".

7. No previous work can be used. This essentially means that you should create everything from scratch!

8. No nudity or gross violence please! Keep it clean and fun for everyone!

This month Hutong Games (Playmaker) and the fine folks from Sketchfab are sponsoring our contest once again! The winners will receive the following:

1st Place : 1 Playmaker License and 1 Year of Sketchfab Pro and Cardboard VR
    2nd Place: 1 Playmaker License 1 Year of Sketchfab Pro
    3rd Place: 1 Playmaker 6 Months of Sketchfab Pro

Additionally, Sketchfab is currently in the making of a special "Unity Community Art Challenge" Award which can be 3D Printed! More on that soon!

We hope to see many of you participate! Let's get this started!

Thomas

John3D, Sazem, NomadKing and 4 others like this.
  2. awesomeliquidbear

awesomeliquidbear

Sweet I will hopefully get a chance to enter this one as well!

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  3. NomadKing

NomadKing

Nice choice of theme for this month, but at the same time quite a challenge to think passed the Marvel version - it's so iconic!

Have to have a think and see if any inspiration strikes me for this one :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  4. Sanderdl

Sanderdl

One thing I would like to point out about the rules: at point 2 you are encouraged to post your final work through Sketchfab but the later at point 6 you must submit it this way.

5. Trideka

Trideka

Not sure I'll actually finish this, but I had the idea and ran with it anyways.

6. awesomeliquidbear

awesomeliquidbear

I had some time just now to do a few concepts this is the one I am going with.

Great jack hammer Trideka :D cant wait to see more!

NomadKing and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  7. MrGky93

MrGky93

looks like a jackhammer ^^

8. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Can we use any 3d tool , Like Blender or winds3d etc.
    Do i just need to make a 3d model not animation of it .

9. Bvel

Bvel

Very early and rough.

10. Belar

Belar

JeevanjotSingh, I believe you can use whatever software you want, as long as your model meets requirements from the rules and you will be able to submit it.

awesomeliquidbear likes this.
  11. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

You can use whatever you like as long as you follow the rules :)

12. awesomeliquidbear

awesomeliquidbear

Did the low poly model from my concept.

Trideka likes this.
  13. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Thanks For info , i am in .

14. Bvel

Bvel

Update:

carking1996, jtok4j, uxoy and 3 others like this.
  15. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Great result

16. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Great Result

17. Bvel

Bvel

18. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

No Problem

19. Sazem

Sazem

I didnt even notice that we have new contest going on again! Ya! :)
    Gotta do some sketching for this one tomorrow. This month I gotta concentrade more on making my first game, so I have to be more time effiency making the model.

I like the prices too.. but one questions, what If I already bought PlayMaker? (its really neat, bought it like a year ago) :)

20. Sazem

Sazem

I couldnt wait to start sketching this right away.. so here the concept idea:
    Sketchbook 7.1

21. randomperson42

randomperson42

That's pretty clever.

22. Bvel

Bvel

I think I'm about done with the high poly, onto low poly and textures.

23. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Mr-Brett That's looking pretty neat right there :) I like the rope thing wrapping around it.

Bvel likes this.
  24. Storm_The_Gates

Storm_The_Gates

Consider this me throwing my hammer in. Just working on the concept now.

Whosoever holds this Wacom, if they be worthy...

raven99, Bvel and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  25. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

So where is everybody with their entries!? Come on folks lets see some action here!!!

raven99 and NomadKing like this.
  26. ViridianPhthalo

ViridianPhthalo

I love the variety of colors in your sketch, Sazem. Sometimes when one gets caught up in the 3 dimensional aspects of a model one forgets to put some love into the colors, which is a shame because color has the power to convey so much.

In terms of design, you might consider shortening the length of the handle to be closer to what Wikipedia claims goes along with the legend of Thor's hammer. I do think a longer handle looks better though, so you must do what you feel is right of course.

Sazem and NomadKing like this.
  27. nikos667

nikos667

Working on my Mjolnir

Bvel likes this.
  28. jaybdemented

jaybdemented

Wasn't really sure on a concept so I went to wiki to read up on it. I'm going to keep the three elements of the hammer(pig skin, gold, and iron) and the basic shape with gold wrapped around. Then focus heavy on texturing.

it's a start anyway.

29. Bvel

Bvel

I've been wrestling with the low poly and mostly trying to get the baking as clean as possible. It's proved more of a challenge than I expected :)

Anyway here's the low poly progress with the normal maps:

And high poly colouring progress:

30. Belar

Belar

Low-poly model, handle may change a bit; at the beginning I was aiming for 2h (no Loki to disturb z-scaling), but medium length is just fine. Looking forward to painting, diffuse only.
    Materials info in SF annotations.

31. nikos667

nikos667

It looks stunning :) very good job,i like how you executed it :)
    Btw i have one question,are we allowed to use camera effects in sketchfab ? Like bloom sharpness etc?
    Because i'm sure it will bring the results of all people coming to life.
    Once again amazing job keep going with it :)

Bvel likes this.
  32. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Mr-Brett Very nice work mate. Textures and all looking lovely :)

@nikos667 - Sure, you are free to use whatever effects Sketchfab offers.

33. nikos667

nikos667

I'm playing around with the effects.There are some small things t fix on the textures and then it will be ready...
    Untill now i have come over thousands of bugs,sketchfab sometimes refuse to load textures,other times it crashes for nor reason and now i'm facing the bug that it doesn't save...

Anyways let me guys know what you think of it...

34. Storm_The_Gates

Storm_The_Gates

Work in progress of the high poly model. Went for a two handed, multi-weapon approach like the version of Mjolnir from Ultimate Marvel.

Two handed hammer.jpg

Bvel, VertexFiend and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  35. AnthonyMyers

AnthonyMyers

Well I was going to join till I seen all the new work nice wow ill still enter doing more of the traditional Nordic look. dont know if i like the jormungand serpent might change it or if ill have time to finish.
    hammer.png

36. jaybdemented

jaybdemented

Going to add some rune etching to the hammer and stitch the tree of life running along the leather.

37. Squirrel Supreme

Squirrel Supreme

I didn't know Unity ran these kinds of art challenges. Very cool. If I can fit in some time at my school's computer lab, then I'd love to participate. I'm just a bit confused about some of the details.

Are we allowed to incorporate background elements into the diorama (e.g. like a workbench, forge, or armstand), or should we just post the hammer alone?

Oh, and who is judging the community art contest? Is it the OP, or does the community vote for winners?

38. nikos667

nikos667

I finished the low poly...
    Now i will reproject textures and i'm done :)
    I will upload the final result in few hours after i make the final changes

39. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

You can add whatever you like in the background but be aware of your vertice count as it will quickly add up. The Judging is always up to the ones who run it (Sponsors and me included).

Thomas

40. Avenger84

Avenger84

Hi Guys I am new to the forum and this challenge is awesome will upload my concept soon

41. Storm_The_Gates

Storm_The_Gates

So I've been playing around with the shape a bit based on some feedback I got from my pen and paper roleplaying game group. I think hammer and war spike might be the way to go. What do you guys think?
    variations03.jpg

EDIT: Ok yeah definitely going with a warspike. For Jotunn climbing etc.
    Warspike.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    raven99 and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  42. Avenger84

Avenger84

Ok so the past couple of days been working on this. The premise for my idea is based on the Marvel comics Thor. Ultron has destroyed all of the Avengers and only Thor remains. He then takes parts of his fallen comrades to Asgard and constructs a new hammer.

I will upload all of my WIP that I have captured over the past few days.

Here is the concept I drew firstly

I then moved to Maya to build all of my base meshes starting with Iron Mans helmet.

Once happy with the base meshes I took them into Mudbox and Z brush to do some sculpting.

Here is the Iron Man helmet I sculpted in Z brush.

I did this with all elements of the Hammer except for the Bullets which were made entirely in Maya.

So my Final hammer consists of 3700 verts and is made up of Hawkeyes bow handle for the Hammer grip, Iron Man helmet, Captain Americas broken Shield,Black widows Black bullet bracelets and a ball infused with Gamma radiation at the base of the Hammer. As you can see my final model differs slightly from my original concept. but i am happy with the result and hope you guys like it.

GibTreaty likes this.
  43. Avenger84

Avenger84

Hi guys forgot to say that my models uses three maps one 2k Diffuse one 2k Normal and one 2k Specular, Diffuse was done in photoshop

44. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Here is my simple model based on my idea (Still working on it).

45. Avenger84

Avenger84

Not sure if my model has the right tag, apologies as this is the first time ive used sketchfab any help would be great :)

46. nikos667

nikos667

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  47. Avenger84

Avenger84

Ok so I wasnt entirely happy with the first Diffuse Map I made in Photoshop, So decided to spend some time today re painting my Diffuse Map, I have left both examples on here any feedback on preference would be great.

48. Bvel

Bvel

Cubey, VertexFiend, raven99 and 4 others like this.
  49. nikos667

nikos667

"

Final version!
    FInished!
    Please tell me if i have put the tag correct :D

VertexFiend, NomadKing, Bvel and 3 others like this.
  50. Belar

Belar

You didn't tag it, there should be "ucac5" bubble next to a little tag icon, see https://skfb.ly/CyT9 or https://skfb.ly/CBT7 I found that sometimes tags don't get in if it's the only or the last tag and you don't put comma (,) after them.

nikos667 likes this.