Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Community Art Challenge - February 2015 - The Bridge

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Nice sketch as well there :)

2. InesAlice

InesAlice

thank you and yes it is inspired by valentine's day, where hearts get shot by cupid xD

ChrisSch likes this.
  3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Finally had a few hours spare, running the laptop off a gas generator... Haha, making do. Here's my early WIP, it's a sort of Sci fi "draw bridge" built into a cliff wall... Extending to some mysterious place, no doubt (I haven't figured that out yet)!

As shown in the images, bridge can rotate up/down and the sections expand. I used a line renderer with a really basic (crude? Lol) script to keep both ends of the "light cables" always attached. Wee!

My semi-successful attempt at a stylized rock wall, eh, not bad? First time trying that...

I have to ride into town for net, so this will probably be the only WIP before final. Lots more detail, texturing, lighting, etc. If I have time.

Thanks for hosting this event!

Attached Files:

raven99, DanoG, NomadKing and 4 others like this.
  4. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Attached Files:

5. Bvel

Bvel

Looking good, it kinda reminds me of El Caminito del Rey, which if you're not familiar with you should check out, it's pretty amazing.

6. Bvel

Bvel

I'm pretty much finished but since there's plenty of time left I may not be able to resist tweaking it further.

7. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Well that turned out pretty nicely there @Mr-Brett ! Congrats on finishing! Hope to see more from others here as well! Come on folks, it's the 17th already!

Bvel likes this.
  8. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I am afraid there isn't much to comment on yet. I suggest to work on it a bit more :)

9. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

After some more work .
    Please if anyone suggest me something about this . Bridge.png

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Looks way, way too early for any comments. It's a grey blob at the moment :)

11. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Ok thanks i will make it more better .

12. Bvel

Bvel

Maybe tell us a little more about what's going on, reference is always a good thing too. Is it a canyon with a natural rock formation for a bridge or is a man-made structure? As said, it's a little early to tell just by looking at it.

13. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

No it's beautiful natures creation but not better like yours ;D

14. Bvel

Bvel

Can you link to any images showing what what you intend to do?

15. IFL

IFL

Never used Sketchfab before. I like it. Here's a WIP. Barely textured, and very undetailed.

Revan31, Avenger84, NomadKing and 3 others like this.
  16. Serinx

Serinx

Love the look already :) took me a while to realise there were faces there haha, which mouth is the safe one? :O

17. yahodahan

yahodahan

This is great- I especially like the shape of the rocks. Inspiring me to start fresh with a new design, better detail:

Neat! Max/Maya/Zbrush?

IFL, NomadKing and DanoG like this.
  18. DanoG

DanoG

I am posting most of these amazing images and entries to our Cinema Suite Facebook page. Just love where this contest is going!

19. Bvel

Bvel

A cool idea, it's hard to see the little person on the bridge though, maybe if they had a torch or something it's be easier to see? Also in the material options you can turn double sided off, that might make it easier to avoid the camera view getting obscured.

That's looking good, I hope you're not talking about throwing that out and starting over!

raven99 and IFL like this.
  20. NomadKing

NomadKing

Nice to see so many varied entries for this month - it's a sign of a good contest theme! :)

I spent the morning sorting out the pose for my 'Bridge' character in a mockup of landscape (just some cubes to judge the heights). There was a specific look I was aiming for with the silhouette, wanting to mimic the shape of a real bridge, and I'm quite pleased with how it came out:

Bridge3.png

Bridge4.png

Some geometry is still missing around the joints, but now that I'm happy with the pose, I can go back and fill that in

I've also updated my Sketchfab WIP to with the Bridge robot (not to scale) if anyone wants a closer look at. This was mainly to test the Vert count since I discovered my modelling package gives very misleading results in certain circumstances... doh.

Busy busy busy... damn short month! :p

Bvel, raven99, IFL and 2 others like this.
  21. IFL

IFL

Thanks. What if all three of the mouths are safe? :)
    I used Blender dyntopo, retopo'd it, then collapsed edges by hand until I cut the vertex limit down.
    I actually just forgot to remove that little person. I guess I could leave it to show the scale of everything though. I'll see what I can do about the camera getting obscured - my final version will have some contrastive juxtaposition with a nice, pretty area outside of the entrance to the bridge. Thanks for the ideas!
    You should bake some shadows into it. That might be a bit of a pain with the transparency, but I think it'd add a lot.

22. raven99

raven99

Your model has a very organic shape. You could make a pair of giant lungs made of crystal or with textures make a structure look as if it is 3D printed lattice structure.

23. raven99

raven99

Here is my WIP. I made curving bridges for my tower defence bridge, and I plan to add a cliff for each wing. I kept my model simple with box modeling techniques. I plan to remain under the poly limit, because I don't have any experience with retopology.
    myBridgeInProgressV2.png

24. Bvel

Bvel

You're right, I can tell you from loading it in Marmoset that shadow do add a lot, I did try once but I'll give it another go.

Edit: I just remembered why I can't. There's four rocks, two flat, two pillar(ish) and they're repeated. The only unique part is the terrain and it looks a bit odd only having shadows on that.

It's a shame that Sketchfab doesn't do vertex colours, then I could easily bake some basic shadows into repeating and transparent sections. Also it would be cool because you'd be able to load Zbrush coloured meshes directly.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  25. Bvel

Bvel

That's looking very cool.

Regarding the vert count, I get different numbers in 3D Max, Marmoset and Sketchfab. So if anyone knows a definitive way of checking that would be useful.

26. Avenger84

Avenger84

here is my latest WIP. Lost about 5 days due to x normal not working properly :( but got it back working now, the tiled floor and grass/Moss is just a test to see what it would look like. On to doing the bridge :)

27. jenninexus

jenninexus

So many cute & cool WIPs! Here's a screenshot of the bridge I'm working on for submission. Looking forward to entering it by next week :D

NomadKing and raven99 like this.
  28. Revan31

Revan31

Here is my bridge in process Sin título-1.jpg

NomadKing and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  29. randomperson42

randomperson42

Early WIP, I've no idea if I'll get the time to finish this...
    Will be low-poly, hand-painted...

early_model_1.png

NomadKing, bsj, raven99 and 2 others like this.
  30. raven99

raven99

I like your bridge!

jenninexus likes this.
  31. raven99

raven99

Give it a go, you probably will!

32. Serinx

Serinx

Here's mine so far. I wanted some ghostly white dead glowing eyes but it makes it look more alive than anything haha.

Can't work out these cycles blender render setting either, they all come out noisy with little specs of white too.

Hopefully I'll have something decent by the deadline!
    snakeBridgeRender.jpg

33. Revan31

Revan31

Hand painting in process :D

upload_2015-2-21_13-10-28.png

34. NomadKing

NomadKing

Replaced my placeholder scenery with real geometry and threw a couple of the Rescue robots in to check the scale:

Checklist of things left to do: Finish modelling wreckage, pose Rescue robots, bake lighting, texture! :)

raven99, Revan31, Avenger84 and 2 others like this.
  35. Revan31

Revan31

Here is the final result!

36. InesAlice

InesAlice

looks very awesome ( I see no-face is waiting to creep on sen xD )

ChrisSch and Revan31 like this.
  37. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Congrats on finishing it! Looks very nice actually! Well done :)

Revan31 likes this.
  38. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Hi all,

Just started to make the Mostar Bridge, couldn't wait to share the process. I know there is not a lot yet. I hope to share more soon.

Attached Files:

• q.png
      q.png
      File size:
      49.8 KB
      Views:
    • q.png
      q.png
      File size:
      49.8 KB
      Views:
    raven99 likes this.
  39. essimoon2

essimoon2

Such awesome prices this month I just had to join again! :D
    I'm almost finished with my high poly model. Went with a bridge that has been naturally grown (with some help of magic I guess..) from some exotic jungle trees that meet and entangle with each other in the mid. It's being stabilized and filled out with massive roots of tropical vines. Someone also placed a bunch of shaped stones on the bridge to make it easier to walk on.

Attached Files:

40. FraneKingzy

FraneKingzy

Damm nice bridges. :eek:

raven99 likes this.
  41. raven99

raven99

Nice textures. :)

42. raven99

raven99

I stepped out of my comfort zone and began sculpting. I watched a video on making normal maps and consulted all of my Blender books. I made a normal map. Take a look and tell me what you think.

NomadKing likes this.
  43. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Very nice idea and model so far! Keep going mate! :)

44. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

beautiful concept essimoon2.

I made some progress on the model. I will finish up by adding windows to the houses and detailing roofs. After that I want to texture it by using Designer and Painter, so this challenge is my reason to learn more about these. Hope you like it in the end.

Attached Files:

• qw.png
      qw.png
      File size:
      263 KB
      Views:
    raven99 likes this.
  45. Sazem

Sazem

I noticed that few people had similar type of bridge that I was originally thinking too.
    So I went to make something bigger.. and also ditched the handpainting idea.. would take forever!

Here`s a wip

Still have to make lots of texturing and small detail objects to do.. and ofcourse the ground / mountain.

Revan31, that bridge is awsome..! one of my favorites:)

Mr-Brett, I checked some images of that El Caminito del Rey and man I started to feel dizzy. Especially from the moments before it was fixed.. If I ever get more than 3 meters high I panic, so I would propaply die in that route haha :D

raven99 likes this.
  46. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Greetings ,
    Very close to complete , Just last step (texturing and painting)
    Please leave some feedback and let me know is my bridge(in modeling) missing something or is that fits in this category .
    I would like to show you my idea ,my design and my work .
    Bridge Inn.png bridge.png bridge2.png

NomadKing likes this.
  47. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Please tell me if i done wrong something in modeling or i can modify it because i still have 4 days .

48. Klonk

Klonk

It looks pretty cool in my opinion!
    It's hard to tell but it looks kind of high poly to me. Could you show the wireframe? Also is it possible that you worked with splines/curve objects? If you did it might be possible that you don't see the actual correct vertex count. Otherwise it looks really great :)

JeevanjotSingh and Revan31 like this.
  49. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Sure but i am new to this modeling software so first i will go to my old software render there a wire frame and post it here . I hope that vertices are not more that i expected (I haven't count them until now) because then making them small makes my model bad. Thanks for remembering me again about 5000 vertices limit .

50. NomadKing

NomadKing

Finished off posing my smaller robots, added the wreckage and a bit more geometry to the crash site:

Bridge8.png

I opted not to pose either of the smaller bots actually ON the bridge to keep them contrasted to their surroundings - white-ish robots against a dark and fiery background.

Whole thing comes in at 3.7k verts with just a few geometry tweaks to go (joint fixes after posing and missing joints on the large robot), so I can probably add some effects before I move onto the lighting / texturing.