Search Unity

Unity Community Art Challenge - February 2015 - The Bridge

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Unity Technologies is happy to announce it's next "Unity Community Forum Challenge"! Everybody is welcome to join in and show other fellow artist what they can do and compete for the First Place!

This months Challenge is themed "The Bridge". We have all walked across a bridge at some point. We have all seen them in various movies. There is a wide range of styles for bridges and additionally they have an important function. They cross the gap between two pieces of land which would otherwise be difficult to get to. We want to see a small Diorama of your Bridge! It can be fantasy themed, Sci-Fi or whatever you think would look cool. Use your imagination! Impress us with your creativity and imagination. Let's see something new and fresh!

As a result we want to see a beautiful small Diorama/Turntable of your version of a "Bridge"

Post Work in Progress Screenshots or even use Sketchfab to present your work in progress. See rules below.

1. Participants will have till the end of the month (February, 28th) to submit their Final Entry

2. Final Entry must be a "Diorama/Turntable" showcasing the theme "The Bridge". We ask that you use Sketchfab to post your final result here on the forum.

3. Polycount Limitation for this Challenge is 5.000 Vertices. Only ever use as many polygons as necessary to define a shape! This is a game art challenge after all! Make use of normal maps etc to give your textures/meshes more detail.

4. You can use normal maps, specular maps etc to enhance your work visually. Perhaps try to combine textures onto one texture sheet if possible for efficiency, however it's not a requirement. There is no restriction on how many textures you can use but keep in mind that this is a game art challenge so don't go too crazy.

5. Entrants must post at least 1 WIP (Work in Progress) Screenshot before submitting their Final Entry. We suggest you post more and get feedback! Please visit https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/sections/200485707-Uploading-3D-Models for further information on how to use and upload to Sketchfab.

6. Your final entries must be submitted through Sketchfab. Please tag your final submission with: "UCAC6".

7. No previous work can be used. This essentially means that you should create everything from scratch!

8. No nudity or gross violence please! Keep it clean and fun for everyone!

This month Cinema Suite Inc. and the fine folks from Sketchfab are sponsoring our contest! The winners will receive the following:

1st Place : The Cinema Suite ($150 Value) License and 1 Year of Sketchfab Pro and Cardboard VR
    2nd Place: Cinema Director ($60 Value) License 1 Year of Sketchfab Pro
    3rd Place: Cinema Pro Cams ($50 Value) and 6 Months of Sketchfab Pro

Additionally the 1st Place will receive the UCAC Award (3D Printed)! This Trophy/Award is Sponsored by Sketchfab and will feature your name (1st Place).

We hope to see many of you participate! Let's get this started!

Thomas

GibTreaty, Avenger84 and Sazem like this.
  2. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Awesome theme :)

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  3. Sazem

Sazem

I agree, I really like the theme too :)

Sounds perfect practice again for painterly style low poly asset.

Btw that trophy looks great too!

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  4. raven99

raven99

Lovely trophy. I really like this month's theme!!!

5. DanoG

DanoG

I love the theme. Reminds me of our bridge building competition in college we had to do as part of our applied mechanics course! Can't wait to see who wins our Cinema Suite software as well! :)

6. NomadKing

NomadKing

Nice theme for this month, looking forward to seeing what people come up with!

7. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Greetings ,
    I just have one question ( i read that , but just to be confirmed)
    Does i need to complete Model under 5,000 five thousand vertices ?

8. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

That is correct. 5000 Vertices is the limitation.

NomadKing and JeevanjotSingh like this.
  9. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

That's 625 toothpicks! Get to work! :D

Sounds like a fun comp idea! Hopefully I'll have some time to work on this one!

10. Bvel

Bvel

I'm doodling some ideas, hopefully I'll settle on something soon.

11. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Did anybody start on something? Come on guys let's see something ;)

12. damirboz

damirboz

I've started to block out some ideas, but I have some questions which I hope someone more experienced than me could answer :)

1. Should I combine all the assets into one, so it has one big texture?

2. How can I make only this highlighted part have a tileable texture? If it's even possible

13. Avenger84

Avenger84

@damirboz Here is what I think,

Should I combine all the assets into one, so it has one big texture?

You don't necessarily have to combine all your elements into one mesh to use a single tetxure sheet you could UV map all elements and place them individually onto one sheet

As for the tile-able texture on the highlighted part you could put the tile-able texture wherever you need it and use a mask for the areas you don't want to have the tiled texture.

hope this helps.

damirboz likes this.
  14. ludiares

ludiares

Beauty shot of what I've done until now. I think I'll go with a destroyed look, with parts of the bridge missing, and a furious river below

15. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Hi, if you want to use an atlas map and want to use tileable texture in it for a specific model, you can place your tileable texture on atlas map and after that, you can break this specific models polygons to similar sizes and make their uvs on top of each other and drag them to the tileable texture's position. I'm not an expert but that's what I do at least. Hope it helps you.

damirboz likes this.
  16. Bvel

Bvel

I'm making a Clapper Bridge (google it :) ), I've not got far but here's a wip of part of it.

17. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Does "No previous work can be used" apply to textures/materials acquired from elsewhere (downloaded from the internet)? o_O

18. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

No that's fine. You are probably modifying the textures anyhow. All good.

19. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Great, then I guess I can upload my first WIP;

I'm going for a Shangri-La(ish) style with my bridge.
    Curious to see what others come up with :)

20. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Where is everybody else with their entries!? Come on guys let's see something!! More doing, less slacking! ;)

21. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

This is what I've got for now, I'll still have to work on it a bit, as I don't really like some of the textures I've used.

If I could finish this one way before the deadline, I might start working on another one.

22. Teessider

Teessider

23. Bvel

Bvel

I would have thought that was fine since you're still starting from scratch with the modelling and texturing, but then Thomas is a stern taskmaster :)

NomadKing likes this.
  24. NomadKing

NomadKing

For this contest I've decided to try and push how much I can get into a scene by doing several characters in a non-trivial environment. Of course, to tie it to the theme - one of the characters will actually be the bridge. Seems I like to set myself simple challenges...

Nothing to show just yet (I'm not a fan of sharing my poorly drawn scribbles...), but I should have something rough looking I can share when I finish figuring out how to split my budget!

25. Bvel

Bvel

Progress:

(Marmoset beauty shot).

Now to do the rest of the scene.

26. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Looking great @Mr-Brett ! How many verts do you have going there so far?

27. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Where is everybody else with their entry?

raven99 likes this.
  28. caseyatbric

caseyatbric

Here is my WIP. I am working on a moon style bridge

raven99, ChrisSch and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  29. Bvel

Bvel

About 4000 so the rest of the scene is going to have to be quite restrained.

VertexFiend likes this.
  30. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Can we see a wire shot of your current scene?

31. Bvel

Bvel

Sure:

To my shame I was a bit lazy and used automatic optimisation for the low poly.

32. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Mr-Brett Hmmm this does already eat up 4k vertices? What software are you using? Can you display the vertice count?

33. Bvel

Bvel

Oh, I'm so used to only looking at triangles, it's actually 2100 verts and 4100 triangles...
    I keep making that mistake :p

Hmm, so now I need to re-think things.

34. Avenger84

Avenger84

Not to sure of this but do you have to use a single Diffuse sheet for it to work on sketchfab or can your model have multiple diffuse sheets?

35. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Well there ya go! I knew something doesn't sound/look right about that. So that means you got a lot of room yet :)

36. Serinx

Serinx

Hey guys,

Just getting into modelling and thought this challenge might be a good way to motivate myself :)

My concept is a giant snake that has been slain and converted to a bridge. Just got the concept picture so far :p

SnakeBridge.jpg

37. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Looks interesting, I definitely like the 'snakes and ladders' sort of style :)

38. NomadKing

NomadKing

Got chance to do some work on my entry today and did a little Sketchfab upload to get a better idea of my vert count - there's a lot I need to fit in this month, so every vert counts!.

This is one of the robot characters I'll be using in my bridge scene:
    EDIT: Scene updated since this post

My scene will feature several of these Rescue robots, using a larger Search bot as a bridge to get where they need to go. Next I'll work on the other major elements for the scene (Search bot & wreckage they are searching), then use whatever verts I have left to put together the rest of the environment. Many things to do!

EDIT: Dev blog about my entry.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  39. Serinx

Serinx

I didn't even plan that haha, a happy accident :p

TheAlmightyPixel likes this.
  40. Bvel

Bvel

That's a cool idea. If I may be so bold, can I make a suggestion?
    You could make it look a bit more dead with some small changes:

(A little cheesy I know :))

Also maybe some wounds or some weapons stuck in the corpse

41. NomadKing

NomadKing

@Mr-Brett @Serinx Its a nice concept, perhaps making it 'older' might work - like an ancient corpse that has become used as a bridge over time. Look forward to seeing the result :)

42. Avenger84

Avenger84

Been working hard on this, I wont reveal my concept just yet but I have built a pillar like object that will serve as the entrance to my bridge. Really not sure if I will be able to finish the whole thing before the deadline.My vert count is 1378 with these two so far so plenty to play with.

43. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

@Avenger84 you can have multiple diffuse textures, just make sure the different meshes have unique material/shader names.

44. Avenger84

Avenger84

45. bsj

bsj

I'm going to try and put something together for this...here is a quick sketch...bridge still too generic.
    20150208-bridge.jpg

raven99, NomadKing, yahodahan and 4 others like this.
  46. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Lovely scenic sketch there mate :)

NomadKing likes this.
  47. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Where is everybody else with their entries? Come on folks get going! :)

48. InesAlice

InesAlice

A little Cupid's bridge, still need some work, but here's what I have so far.

1.png
    2.png

49. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@InesAlice Somehow reminds me of Valentine's Day :) Nice work so far!

50. Revan31

Revan31

bridge_concept.jpg I'm going to represent a scene from Spirited Away. I've done this for now.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    NomadKing, Bvel and Thomas-Pasieka like this.